[comp.sys.att] 6386 users mailing list?

ads@m10ux.UUCP ( MHx4383 ) (12/08/88)

I would like to join the AT&T 6386 users mailing list.
Can anyone tell me how to add my name to the list? Thanks.
	-Al Schapira
	 AT&T Bell Laboratories, MH 3A-402D, (201) 582-4383 ATT!m21ux!ads

solinas@paul.rutgers.edu (Solinas) (12/09/88)

In article <784@m10ux.UUCP> ads@m10ux.UUCP ( MHx4383 ) writes:
>I would like to join the AT&T 6386 users mailing list.
>Can anyone tell me how to add my name to the list? Thanks.
>	-Al Schapira
>	 AT&T Bell Laboratories, MH 3A-402D, (201) 582-4383 ATT!m21ux!ads

Please include me, too.
         - David M. Solinas -

daveb@pyuxf.UUCP (david berk) (12/14/88)

In article <Dec.8.17.25.54.1988.3915@paul.rutgers.edu>, solinas@paul.rutgers.edu (Solinas) writes:
> In article <784@m10ux.UUCP> ads@m10ux.UUCP ( MHx4383 ) writes:
> >I would like to join the AT&T 6386 users mailing list.
> >Can anyone tell me how to add my name to the list? Thanks.
> >	-Al Schapira
> >	 AT&T Bell Laboratories, MH 3A-402D, (201) 582-4383 ATT!m21ux!ads
>
> Please include me, too.
>          - David M. Solinas -

Please include me too.

Why not create a private 6386 newsgroup similat to the unix-pc one?

Dave Berk

mr@homxb.ATT.COM (mark) (12/14/88)

In article <Dec.8.17.25.54.1988.3915@paul.rutgers.edu>, solinas@paul.rutgers.edu (Solinas) writes:
# In article <784@m10ux.UUCP> ads@m10ux.UUCP ( MHx4383 ) writes:
# >I would like to join the AT&T 6386 users mailing list.
# >Can anyone tell me how to add my name to the list? Thanks.
# >	-Al Schapira
# >	 AT&T Bell Laboratories, MH 3A-402D, (201) 582-4383 ATT!m21ux!ads
#
# Please include me, too.
#          - David M. Solinas -

ME TOO.

mark
homxb!mr

hintz@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HINTZ THOMAS ANDREW) (12/14/88)

In article <462@pyuxf.UUCP> daveb@pyuxf.UUCP (david berk) writes:
>In article <Dec.8.17.25.54.1988.3915@paul.rutgers.edu>, solinas@paul.rutgers.edu (Solinas) writes:
>> In article <784@m10ux.UUCP> ads@m10ux.UUCP ( MHx4383 ) writes:
>> >I would like to join the AT&T 6386 users mailing list.
>> >Can anyone tell me how to add my name to the list? Thanks.
>> >	-Al Schapira
>> >	 AT&T Bell Laboratories, MH 3A-402D, (201) 582-4383 ATT!m21ux!ads
>>
>> Please include me, too.
>>          - David M. Solinas -
>Please include me too.
>Why not create a private 6386 newsgroup similat to the unix-pc one?
>Dave Berk

The idea of a 6386 newsgroup sounds like a good idea to me!
I'm sure there a lot of people out there with software,
(and probelms (oh, and of course complaints)) for machines
running System V/386 (or whatever), of which I am one.

As to the AT&T 6386 mailing list, if there is one,
could I too be added?

			Tom Hintz
			hintz@tramp.colordo.edu
			ncar!boulder!tramp!hintz

ifnxdml@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (12/14/88)

/* Written  2:37 pm  Dec  7, 1988 by ads@m10ux.UUCP in uxg.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.att */
I would like to join the AT&T 6386 users mailing list.
Can anyone tell me how to add my name to the list? Thanks.
	-Al Schapira
	 AT&T Bell Laboratories, MH 3A-402D, (201) 582-4383 ATT!m21ux!ads
/* End of text from uxg.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.att */

Include me on it too.

==David Lyle                            ifnxdml@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu
==University of Illinois Foundation     ifnxdml@uicvmc.BITNET

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (12/14/88)

In article <462@pyuxf.UUCP> daveb@pyuxf.UUCP (david berk) writes:
>In article <Dec.8.17.25.54.1988.3915@paul.rutgers.edu>, solinas@paul.rutgers.edu (Solinas) writes:
>> In article <784@m10ux.UUCP> ads@m10ux.UUCP ( MHx4383 ) writes:
>> >I would like to join the AT&T 6386 users mailing list.
[ and two more like it ]

As I told Al, I'm not aware of a 6386 mailing list per se, but would like to
know about one if it exists.  There's an 80386 mailing list and one that I
coordinate for the PC 63xx.  We have 6386 owners/users on our list as well as
6300, 6310, 6312, and 6300 PLUS.  The latter is the majority of the membership
since the list started over a year ago for the PLUS.  There is a sublist for
people who want general interest and only DOS, another for general interest
and UNIX and DOS.  There are over 100 people on the list including some card
carrying gurus inside and outside AT&T.  In my opinion (natch) the signal to
noise ratio is quite high and our record for solving problems is quite good.

There is a small ceremony required to verify a two way mail path before being
added to the list, but that's the only restriction.  Gossip and grumbling are
permitted, flames are promptly extinguished.  The list is not a "reflector",
each contribution is read (sometimes commented on) before it is sent on.  Some
very common questions (e.g. what hard drives work on the PLUS?, what is the
latest 6300 BIOS ROM release?) are answered by return email and not forwarded
to the list at large.

Whew!  That sounded like an ad, but it wasn't really just an invitation to
join our list if the 6386 people don't find one of their own.  If there is
sufficient interest, I would not object to setting up another sub-list for
6386 only discussion (like the DOS only and heavy tech sub-lists).  A
preferred mail path for asking to get on the list would be:

lll-winken!abhg!ssbn!bill   or
{ att | killer | uunet!bigtex | bellcore } !texbell!ssbn!bill

The paths in .signature are OK too, but the above are how the mailing list
is sent out, so it makes it easier if that's how you send your request in.

>Why not create a private 6386 newsgroup similar to the unix-pc one?
>
>Dave Berk

That's an interesting idea.  Interesting because each time that I have polled
the 63xx mailing list about becomeing a newsgroup it has been soundly defeated,
most recently by 60-2.  I'm not sure why they are so adamant about it but I
have quit asking.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

binde@mace.rutgers.edu (Beth Binde) (12/14/88)

----6386 users list-----

Me too.

Beth
--
binde@hardees.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University

ifnxdml@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (12/16/88)

following line:

   SUBSCRIBE ATT386-L <your full name>

The LISTSERV will notify you, by mail, when you have been added to the list.
(Bitnet users should send an on-line message to LISTSERV@UIUCVMD that
 contains the same text)

To submit an article, or posting, send mail to ATT386-L@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU.
DO NOT send subscription requests to this address!! Your mail will be
automatically distributed to those who have subscribed to this list.
Also, LISTSERV automatically keeps an archive of all postings.  For
additional information on LISTSERV commands, send mail to
LISTSERV@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU that contains the line INFO.

Any problems subscribing to the list or help with LISTSERV commands can be
sent to me at IFNXDML@UXG.CSO.UIUC.EDU.

David Lyle                               ifnxdml@uicvmc.bitnet
University of Illinois Foundation        ifnxdml@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 333-0810