[comp.sys.att] KA9Q tcp/ip on 3b1 talking slip?

daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) (12/18/88)

Has anyone taken the KA9Q tcp/ip code to a 3b1 and gotten it to talk
slip to another system?  I would dearly love to get multiple telnet
windows to work from home over a trailblazer, but I'm not sure how much
work it would be to do.  For one thing, I need to find a source for the
KA9Q source...

Any help/war stories appreciated.

-dB
--
If life was like the movies, the music would match the picture.

{sun,mtxinu,hoptoad}!rtech!gonzo!daveb		daveb@gonzo.uucp

sadler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Jon B. Sadler) (12/18/88)

In <486@gonzo.UUCP> daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:

>Has anyone taken the KA9Q tcp/ip code to a 3b1 and gotten it to talk
>slip to another system?  I would dearly love to get multiple telnet
>windows to work from home over a trailblazer, but I'm not sure how much
>work it would be to do.  For one thing, I need to find a source for the
>KA9Q source...
>
>Any help/war stories appreciated.
>
>-dB
>--

the KA9Q source has indead been ported to the 3b1 succesfully, and has talked
between two systems with no problems.  That was the .16 version (quite old --
Phill Karn, author, is working on .33 now.  More info on this later.)  Un-
fortunately, I have not worked on anything since then due to job requirements.

Just a few words on the KA9Q package:

The KA9Q Internet pacage, developed by Phil Karn of Belcore, was originally
developed for use in the amature packet radio arena.  It has been ported
to a variety of systems, ranging from Atari STs, Macintoshs, and Amigas, to
BSD UNIX and Sys V UNIX machines.  The code, until the .33 release, was one
big program, containing a tight loop that checked all incoming queues, and
sent info to the outbout queues.  Unfortunately, this ate up a lot of CPU time,
and did not lend itself to use in mulit-user systems.  In the .33 version,
Phil has migrated the tight loop into a TSR (for non-multi-process systems)
or a daemon (for multi-process systems).  This version does utilize something
simular to the BSD socket interface to send and recieve data to and from the
TCP/IP code, and the TSR/daemon.

As for porting this code to the 3b1-- I think there should be no problems for
the standard unix hacker.  The original code is targeted to BSD and MS-DOS
machines, and experience has showed that not much is necessary to get it
to run under System V.  The code has been written in a truly portible fashion,
and is a joy to work with.

The code is available in .arc format from louie.udel.edu, and winfree.uucp.
Unfortunately, winfree has recently gone down, with an undeterminate up time.
If you would like, I can notify you when it returns to service.  I am un-
aware of any other sites that are offering the current version of the source
code for uucp transfer.

If you have any more questions on the KA9Q package, feel free to mail me, and
I will get back to you.

JUST A NOTE -- I am in the midst of changing jobs, and some mail may be lost
while I setup forwarding information.  Please re-mail me if you do not get
a responce within a few days.

Jonathan Sadler

INTERNET:  sadler@cs.wisc.edu         SNAIL MAIL:  Jonathan Sadler
           sadler@csd4.milw.wisc.edu               2350 Comp Sci + Stat (CSL)
UUCP    :  ...!rutgers!uwvax!sadler                University of Wisconsin
           sadler@uwvax.UUCP                       Madison, WI 53706
           ...nucsrl!laidbak!sadler   BELL NET:    (608) 262-2389

ccs@lazlo.UUCP (Clifford C. Skolnick) (12/18/88)

In article <6894@spool.cs.wisc.edu> sadler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Jon B. Sadler) writes:
>In <486@gonzo.UUCP> daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>the KA9Q source has indead been ported to the 3b1 succesfully, and has talked
>between two systems with no problems.  That was the .16 version ...

I have ported the .30 version to my 3b1 with about 5 hours of work.  Most
trying to figure out what to do, as opposed to actually writing the code.
I would say 30% was tweeking the makefile correctly, 30% trying to find
out how to do blksize() with blocks malloc()ed by the 3b1 malloc() routine, and
the remainder of time tracking down extern/static definition confilits that
stock AT&T compilers can take, but GnuCC can't.

>to run under System V.  The code has been written in a truly portible fashion,
except for multiple re-definitions of functions in regard to static/external.

>and is a joy to work with.
I agree.

>aware of any other sites that are offering the current version of the source
>code for uucp transfer.

If requested, I can place source and or executable on my system for
anynmous uucp.

--
Cliff Skolnick (ccs@lazlo)|  "You told me time makes it easy, then you never
Phone: (716) 427-8046     |   told me time stands still" - Gary Neuman

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (12/19/88)

I can make KA9Q (.31) available on 'arnold' for annon. UUCP

--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP