[comp.sys.att] ubluit exists

vince@tc.fluke.COM (Craig Johnson) (12/17/88)

Somebody in this newsgroup mentioned he saw a message containing
"ubluit" just before his system died a horrible death.  He wanted to
know whether this was an indication of some prankster getting into his
system.

I can't give you any answers, but I have turned up an interesting
clue.  I happened to run strings on /usr/ucb/mail on my Sun 3/50 (BSD
4.2, Sun 3.5.2) today and what should appear in the output but
*ubluit*!  Here it is in the context of the strings output:

	sendmail
	/usr/lib/sendmail
	sendwait
	Should be inserting commas in recip lists
	Subject: %s
	Bcc:

	save in '%s'
	@(#)stralloc.c 1.2 86/10/08 SMI
	String too large
	No room for space %d
	Internal error
	@(#)temp.c 1.2 86/10/08 SMI
	/tmp/Rs%-d
	/tmp/Rq%-d
	/tmp/Rm%-d
	/tmp/Re%-d
	/tmp/Rx%-d
	/tmp/Rz%-d
	"%s" is not a user of this system
-->	ubluit
	Who are you!?
	@(#)tty.c 1.2 86/10/08 SMI
	gtty
	Subject:
	too long to edit
	@(#)vars.c 1.2 86/10/08 SMI
	prompt
	assign(%s)=%s
	"%s": undefined variable
	deassign(%s)
	Out of memory
	value(%s)=%s
	"%s": not a group

I don't know if this will do you a bit of good, but it does provide
evidence that it was not a prankster who did you in.  Perhaps you can
rest easier now.  Good luck getting your system back up.

	Craig V. Johnson		...!fluke!vince
	John Fluke Mfg. Co.
	Everett, WA

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (12/17/88)

>I can't give you any answers, but I have turned up an interesting
>clue.  I happened to run strings on /usr/ucb/mail on my Sun 3/50 (BSD
>4.2, Sun 3.5.2) today and what should appear in the output but
>*ubluit*!

"ubluit" appears to be the user name used by "Mail"/"mailx" if it can't
find a user name for the current user ID any other way - for instance,
if "/etc/passwd" can't be read, and, at least in the S5R3 version, the
LOGNAME environment variable isn't set.  Given that the file system
seemed to be in the process of being eaten by moths, that might explain
this.

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (12/19/88)

In article <743@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
|>>I can't give you any answers, but I have turned up an interesting
|>>clue.  I happened to run strings on /usr/ucb/mail on my Sun 3/50 (BSD
|>>4.2, Sun 3.5.2) today and what should appear in the output but
|>>*ubluit*!
|>
|>"ubluit" appears to be the user name used by "Mail"/"mailx" if it can't
|>find a user name for the current user ID any other way - for instance,
|>if "/etc/passwd" can't be read, and, at least in the S5R3 version, the
|>LOGNAME environment variable isn't set.  Given that the file system
|>seemed to be in the process of being eaten by moths, that might explain
|>this.

Probably he was running mailx on his system.  That was available to from
the STORE with the appropriate authorization.  Most likely the old
UNIX pc, "getlogin(3C)" bug has appeared.  If getlogin() fails, it
generally returns "LOGIN", which will not appear in /etc/passwd, therefore
producing the "No mail for ubluit".   At least it's better to know you
probably weren't invaded.   I would put a "root" password if I were you
though!  Better safe than sorry! :-)

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576