[comp.sys.att] Adding 70M disks to 3b2

elias@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Doug Elias) (12/14/88)

i'm trying to put a 72M micropolis on my 3b2 in place of
the 30M original disk; all my attempts lead to "DISK SANITY
ERROR", and the ATT service person thinks it may be the cabling...

And howsabout hanging another 72M off the expansion-interface?
Anybody done that who'd care to explain how?

doug

dwb@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT4134000~Doug W. Barnes~C29~M18~7104~) (12/14/88)

In article <6997@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> elias@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Doug Elias) writes:
>i'm trying to put a 72M micropolis on my 3b2 in place of
>the 30M original disk; all my attempts lead to "DISK SANITY
>ERROR", and the ATT service person thinks it may be the cabling...
>
>And howsabout hanging another 72M off the expansion-interface?
>Anybody done that who'd care to explain how?
>
>doug

You just can't hang a drive on a 3B2 and think that it will work.  For
one thing you will need the DEVTOOLS Utility to format the drive and to
put a sanity track on it.  To do this you will also need all of the
physical information about this disk to be able to tell DEVTOOLS what it
needs to format.

Doug Barnes

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (12/14/88)

I take it you formatted the drive first with IDTOOLS,or DEVTOOLS?
If you did ,and tried to load your unix distribution without success,
then maybe the person who said you had a bad cable MAY be correct.But,
if you did not format it first with one of the two pieces of software
above,then obtain and try again..I have two machines here that have
Micropolis 1325's (72 meg) drives installed w/o the slightest problem.
Note: After formatting the new drive,and re-loading unix from floppy,
you will get disk sanity errors,but they are to be ignored as Unix will
load anyway and then will create the partition. That should be the only
time you see that message.

To address your question about adding a drive via the expansion disk
connectors, just obtain the proper ST506 cables (data and control),make
sure the terminator and drive select is correct and format..
Then choose the dual disk upgrade selection from the menu you see when
booting the Unix distribution disks.

Practically ANY ST506/412 drive can be used in the 3B2/3XX/400 .. With
minimal work too,I might add.

len@netsys.com
{ames,att,rutgers}!netsys!len

In article <11042@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>Practically ANY ST506/412 drive can be used in the 3B2/3XX/400 .. With
>minimal work too,I might add.

I tried to connect a Seagate 4096 as a second drive on a 400, but when I
gave the parameters to idtools I got an error message like "cannot
re-int controller with new values".  There is "drive type" number that
is required, and the manual only lists values for the drives sold by
AT&T (but I tried several values with the same result.  The same drive
formatted normally on a PC, so I assume it is OK.  Should this drive work
on the 3B2s?

Les Mikesell

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (12/21/88)

In article <6997@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, elias@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Doug Elias) writes:
> i'm trying to put a 72M micropolis on my 3b2 in place of
> the 30M original disk; all my attempts lead to "DISK SANITY
> ERROR", and the ATT service person thinks it may be the cabling...
>
> And howsabout hanging another 72M off the expansion-interface?
> Anybody done that who'd care to explain how?

I'm surprised that the others weren't more helpful on this.
Adding ST-506 disks is easy -- just use the `idtools' disk
available in the 3B2 Computer Maintenance Reference Manual,
select code 305-395.

This is a large book with all kinds of info on part numbers,
switch settings, etc., plus the idtools diskette.  It will
format hard and floppy disks, do disk-to-disk copying, bad
block mapping, surface verifications, and all those other
low-level things you've always wanted to do.  This thing costs
around $50, and *everybody* should have this.

Order from (form letter to follow):

-------8<------ standard CIC info ------>8-----

AT&T Customer Information Center
2855 North Franklin Road
Indianapolis, IN  46219-1999

+1 800 432 6600 U.S.A.
+1 800 255 1242 Canada
+1 317 352 8556 Other
+1 317 352 8484 FAX

Hours: 0730 - 1830 EST (GMT+5)
Terms: check, money order, VISA, MasterCard, Amax
       Company purchase order OAC + (order > $50)

Call for free `AT&T Documentation Guide',
select code 000-011.

-------8<------ standard CIC info ------>8-----

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.                                 attmail!vsi!friedl