[comp.sys.att] UNIX<->MSDOS files?

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (12/23/88)

Folks, I've heard of a program that was distributed to
convert MS-DOS files to UNIX.  Anybody still have anything like
that?  Ya' see, I have a jim-spankin'-new HP Deskjet printer
and a "Softfont" package.  Seems the developers of the package
assumed that anyone that had a "computer" would be running
MSDOS, so the UNIX-PC cannot use "Softfont"s.  I want to
fix that, and the conversion program would greatly
speed that up.  Thanks in advance!

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ihlpq!gms (312)979-0914
				(please include phone for response)

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (12/28/88)

In article <7048@ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
>Folks, I've heard of a program that was distributed to convert
> MS-DOS files to UNIX....  Ya' see, I have a jim-spankin'-new
>HP Deskjet printer and a "Softfont" package.  Seems the developers
>of the package assumed that anyone that had a "computer" would be
>running MSDOS, so the UNIX-PC cannot use "Softfont"s.  I want to
>fix that, and the conversion program would greatly speed that up.
>
>				G. Mark Stewart

The unix <--> msdos filter that I use is todos/undos/tounix/ununix
written by Chuck Forsberg of Y/Zmodem fame.  However, it only handles
the addition and deletion of carriage returns at the end of each line in
text files, and the deletion of a trailing ^Z on older msdos files,
which are the only differences that I know of between "unix" and "msdos"
files.  This isn't like going from an IBM mainframe to a Unix-PC.

I doubt very much that any problem you are having with Softfont files
has anything to do with text files having CRs in them or not.  It is much
more likely that your lp interface is messing with the softfont data as
it sends it to the printer.  Try 'cat'ing the softfont file to the
printer through /dev/rawlp, or using the RAW option on the lp program.
I'd bet this will help.
--
Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick; 259 Radnor-Chester Road, Suite 140; Radnor, PA  19087