[comp.sys.att] zcat

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (01/10/89)

A while ago I posted my 3b1 ``picture'' program to unix-pc.sources.  (If you
didn't get it and are still interested send me a note.)  The source code
popens ("zcat pfile"); in order to allow the pictures to live as compressed
data on the disk (huge disk savings).

A number of people don't seem to know about ``zcat''.  ``zcat'' is like
``uncompress'', it is just a link to the ``compress'' file.  If you look
at the source (it is public domain) you'll see that compress checks
argv[0] to determine if it started as ``compress'', ``uncompress', or
``zcat''. ``ls -il compress uncompress'' should show a link count of at
least two and the same inode number.  Just ``ln compress zcat'' and you've
got the zcat program.

I also vaguely remember someone stating that AT&T installs often put a
new compress in place.  This was a problem for some reason, but I can't
remember what the real issue was.  Hopefully someone will take pity, and
do a follow up to this article (or add the info to commonly asked 3b1
questions).
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (01/10/89)

In article <1106@naucse.UUCP> jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:
[]
-->I also vaguely remember someone stating that AT&T installs often put a
-->new compress in place.  This was a problem for some reason, but I can't
-->remember what the real issue was.  Hopefully someone will take pity, and
-->do a follow up to this article (or add the info to commonly asked 3b1
-->questions).

the ones that i've seen put the compress in the temporary installation
directory; it gets blown away when install exits.
i don't know if this is because:
a)	it might trash a compress already installed
or
b)	if compress is not already installed, you probably don't have
	rights (?) to it.

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Apprentice Polymath	| Yes, the wages of sin ARE death, but after they take |

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (01/11/89)

In article <1106@naucse.UUCP> jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:
>I also vaguely remember someone stating that AT&T installs often put a
>new compress in place.  This was a problem for some reason, but I can't

Compress is installed from the Curses/Terminfo disk, of all places.

			   Jeff Wieland
		       wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

In article <2984@cbnews.ATT.COM> mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) writes:

>the ones that i've seen put the compress in the temporary installation
>directory; it gets blown away when install exits.

It gets installed with the terminfo disk and stays put.

>or
>b)	if compress is not already installed, you probably don't have
>	rights (?) to it.

I compiled the version from the news distribution with the shared library
and stripped it.  This produced a binary of exactly the same length as the
one from the terminfo disk.

Les Mikesell