[comp.sys.att] cu & 8 bits

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (01/13/89)

	I use cu alot with the OBM to talk to my neighborhood VAX, and
somewhere along the line I'm losing the 8th bit (probably to parity), so META
doesent work :-(. Does anyone know how to get cu to talk 8bits No parity?

--
					:alex
Alex Crain

egray@fthood.UUCP (01/13/89)

Reference: using cu with 8bit no parity

Why not abandon cu for one of the many public domain communications packages
available in the comp.sources.unix and unix-pc.sources archives?

I perfectly nice package is Pcomm (I'm slightly biased... I wrote it)
Pcomm is a program that is designed to operate similar to the MSDOS
program, ProComm.

Pcomm v1.1 appeared in comp.sources.unix as v16i006 thru v16i013 around
the second week of Sept 1988.  It was posted to unix-pc.sources about
the same time frame.  There are now 6 patches to v1.1

Also, to tie this response to the other discussion about scripting from
cu... Pcomm has a data logging feature that saves a copy of the entire
terminal session in a file.

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!uunet!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
					Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (01/14/89)

In article <1560@umbc3.UMD.EDU> alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>	I use cu alot with the OBM to talk to my neighborhood VAX, and
>somewhere along the line I'm losing the 8th bit (probably to parity), so META
>doesent work :-(. Does anyone know how to get cu to talk 8bits No parity?

With the Unix PC's standard cu command, the ~%nostop command will enable
completely transparent 8-bit transmission.  I think this might have been
an unintentional feature, but it works for me.  Remember that ~%nostop
will, of course, also perform its documented function of turning off
XON/XOFF flow control.  This is probably what you want with emacs anyway.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com