Subject: Re:  Upgrade questions
From: pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!smp

RE:
>Hardware
>--------
>Augias is a 3b2/400 with 1M memory, with standard disks and SYSV 3.0

>And now for some questions!

>Memory upgrade
>--------------
>- What memory-boards should I use? I heard a rumor that
>  there is pirate boards, which is should be a lot
>  cheaper. Does anybody know something about quality,
>  prices etc..

>Disk upgrade
>------------
>- What pirate disks is reliable?
>- What hardware spec for the disks is necessary?
>- What prices?

Pirate is probably not the best term for third party add-ons.
Several companies make add-on memory boards for the 3b2's.  One I am
familiar with and can personally recommend is Piiceon in San Jose, CA, USA.
Piiceon makes a three (yes, 3) Mbyte memory board which when added to your
existing 1 Mb board will give you 4 Mbytes!  Piiceon's phone number is
408-432-8030.  Not having much international phoning experience, I can't tell
you any more than that.  They are located in San Jose California in the heart
of the Silicon Valley area.  As for disk drives, the 3b2-400 probably uses
the same ESDI or ST506 interface internal drives built by Control Data Corp.
for AT&T.  It is possible to get a SCSI host adapter for the 400 and add
external drives that way.  AT&T makes several options for external SCSI addons.
I don't know of any existing third party add-on SCSI drives for the 3b2's yet,
though I have heard rumors that someone is working on them.
Scott Parrish  of Pacific Access ames!pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!smp

------------------------------

Subject: RE: ARC521
From: pacbell!att!iwsag!jww

Yes I have arc512 up and running on a 3B2/310 running System V R3.2 and
I am able to unarchive arcives make with pkarc -oc option (i.e. don't use
the newest squashing technique, only use the Old Compatible).  For the most
part I only notice a 1 to 2% degrigation in packing size when using the
-oc option.

Let me know if you are still having problems, as I have the source along with
most of the other source posted to the net (Including the public domain
directory functions used to gain compatibility with BSD).

P.S. Has any one downloaded the latest DSZ from telegodzilla (sp ?), I saw
a version dated 12/??/88.  What's new with it ?

Jeff Wolford
AT&T 3B2 Hardware Development
Disclaimer: 	All statements are my own, and reflect nothing about my
		employer.
att!iwsag!jww

ucbvax--|

decvax--+--- att --- iwsag!jww

harvard-|

------------------------------

From: ucsfmis!ide!uunet!hcx1!novavax!bigbroth!rk
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 89 18:41:40 EST

I recently installed the maxtor 190 in bigbroth, our 3b2/400.  Since it will
only format to 135 mb, you might be better off with the maxtor 140 (cheaper I
presume.  You need idtools from AT&T to get the software to do the
format.  It's priced at $60.00 and includes repair/maintenance manual
for the 3b2.

I got the maxtor from TRC in Los Angles 800-433-4904 at a good price.

On the memory, there are only 2 memory slots in the 3b2.  I don't know
if you can mix a 1 mg board with a 2 mb board.  You might have to
replace your 1 meg board if you want to add 2 megs.  You can, I know,
add another 1 meg board.  Western automation manufactures memory boards
for the 3b2.  I don't know if they sell direct.  Usually they advertise
in Unix World, but I checked my most recent copy and they weren't
there.  They are located in (I think) Boulder, Colorado.  I don't know
if TRC handles the Western Automation boards, but you might ask them.
The memory boards are "Plug and Play" very simple to install.

The disks take a little more work but with the idtools are not
impossible.  You need to know how many heads the disk has (tracks).

Good luck.

Rohan Kelley -- UNIleX Systems, Inc. (Systems and software for lawyers)
UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!bigbroth!rk (office)
                     "            !novavax!lbrotr!rk  (home)
ATTmail:  attmail!bigbroth!rk
3365 Galt Ocean Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 Phone: (305) 563-1504

"Go first class or your heirs will" -somebodyelse

To join this group or have your thoughts in the next issue, please
send electronic mail to Ken Davis at the following address;

	{pacbell,netsys,hoptoad,well}!lamc!info-3b2-request

The views expressed in Info-3b2 Digest are those of the
individual authors only.

End of Info-3b2 Digest