[comp.sys.att] 610 terminal gone flakey

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (01/11/89)

I am using a 610 terminal on a 3B1. The system is now about 1 1/2 years old,
and has been configured in this way since first purchased then. For some
reason, two problems have suddenly appeared, and I've not been able to dope
out what's wrong:

	1. When I backspace at the command-line, then enter another
command over the old one and hit <Return>, I get something like the
following:

		$ cat                      [type in command 'cat']
		$                          [now use <Backspace> to back up]
		$ ls                       [type in the new command]
		$ cat^H^H^Hls              [huh?]
		$ cat^H^H^Hls: not found

	2. When I am in the user-agent and attempt to remove files that
are queued up to print, I can only delete the first one - the down-arrow key
generates it's escape sequences (seen on the lower left portion of the screen),
but will not roll down. Also in this screen, I cannot use the mark key. The
signals are simply not going out to the box, evidently. Other screens seem ok,
though, of the several ones I went and checked.

So far, I've noticed no other flakey functions appearing. Both conditions
appeared suddenly tonight. The console is unaffected.

I've reset the terminal and otherwise checked everything else I know how
to look for. Even shut the whole system down and brought it back up. Nuthin'.

Does anyone out there in AT&T land (or elsewhere) have ANY idea what might
be causing this?

                                 Bud Hovell

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
: USENET: {attmail!  |  tektronix!percival!  |  pacbell!safari!} whizz!bbh :
: TELEX: 152258436 (Whizz/Bud Hovell)               VOICE: +1 503-636-3000 :
: PAPER: Overture Systems Corp, PO Box 1812, Lake Oswego, Oregon USA 97035 :
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"You may not be interested in strategy - but strategy is interested in you."

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (01/13/89)

In article <607@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
[]
"	1. When I backspace at the command-line, then enter another
"command over the old one and hit <Return>, I get something like the
"following:
"
"		$ cat                      [type in command 'cat']
"		$                          [now use <Backspace> to back up]
"		$ ls                       [type in the new command]
"		$ cat^H^H^Hls              [huh?]
"		$ cat^H^H^Hls: not found

do a 'stty -a'.  you want the erase code to be , but you'll find it's set to
something else -- probably DEL.  stty erase  will fix it.

also check the access time of /etc/gettydefs (ls -l); this file contains stty
settings for your login to start up with, and if it's been touched recently,
it's probably been changed.

"	2. When I am in the user-agent and attempt to remove files that
"are queued up to print, I can only delete the first one - the down-arrow key
"generates it's escape sequences (seen on the lower left portion of the screen),
"but will not roll down. Also in this screen, I cannot use the mark key. The
"signals are simply not going out to the box, evidently. Other screens seem ok,
"though, of the several ones I went and checked.

this is probably a variation of the above, but i don't know the proper
settings.  maybe you could get them by comparing the gettydefs for the console
and your port.

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Apprentice Polymath	| Yes, the wages of sin ARE death, but after they take |

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (01/17/89)

In article <607@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
>I am using a 610 terminal on a 3B1. The system is now about 1 1/2 years old,
>	1. When I backspace at the command-line, then enter another
>command over the old one and hit <Return>, I get something like the
>following:
>
>		$ cat                      [type in command 'cat']
>		$                          [now use <Backspace> to back up]
>		$ ls                       [type in the new command]
>		$ cat^H^H^Hls              [huh?]
>		$ cat^H^H^Hls: not found
>
>	2. When I am in the user-agent and attempt to remove files that
>are queued up to print, I can only delete the first one - the down-arrow key
>generates it's escape sequences (seen on the lower left portion of the screen),
>but will not roll down. Also in this screen, I cannot use the mark key. The
>signals are simply not going out to the box, evidently. Other screens seem ok,
>though, of the several ones I went and checked.

It sounds like you have invalid stty options on the port.
Have you changed your .profile, .kshrc, /etc/rc, /etc/profile, and
so on, in their set up of the serial port?
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2e-108 / 185 monmouth pkwy / west long branch, nj 07764-1394