[comp.sys.att] uugetty broken?

sshurr@wendy.WELLESLEY.EDU (Scott Shurr) (01/21/89)

I'm having trouble getting my modem to both answer & initiate calls.
Modem: US Robotics Sportster 2400
System: UNIX System V Release 2.0 3B2/300 Version 2
Configuration: Connected to contty port with AT&T ACU MODEM connector.
Inittab line:
ct:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 contty 2400H
gettydefs line:
contty# B2400 HUPCL OPOST ONLCR # B2400 SANE IXANY TAB3 #login: #contty1

Problem: If a DIP switch on the modem is set in one position, the system
 can dial out on the modem but can't answer incoming calls.  If the switch
 is in the other position, the system can't dial out but can answer incoming
 calls.

When DIP switch 6 is DOWN (CD signal always ON):

Dial out by uucico works correctly.
When modem picks up an incoming call the system runs login forever,
regardless of what the caller sends, until I turn the modem off.

When DIP switch 6 is UP (Modem raises CD signal when online):

Modem answers call and caller logs in successfully.
When uucico tries to dial out, it returns:
Call Failed: CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE

Why does the 3B2 think that it can't access the modem?  It seems to me to
have something to do with the way those peculiar AT&T phone-type connectors
map the normal RS232 pins into only 8 pins.  Apparently the system sometimes
interprets the CD signal to mean what it was intended to mean, that the modem
has answered a call, and sometimes it uses it as DSR.

Any useful suggestions?
--
Scott Shurr
Wellesley College, Wellesley MA 02181

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (01/22/89)

If you are using Unix 3.1 or higher you have a flag you
can add in add in /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers and /usr/lib/uucp/Devices.

Typical Devices entry:

ACU tty27,M - 2400 hayes \T

Typical Dialers entry:

hayes  =,-,	"" \M\dAT\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c

The \M turns clocal on and the \m turns it off so to speak.

If you aren't running 3.1 I strongly recommend upgrading.

--
len@netsys.com
{ames,att,rutgers}!netsys!len

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (01/23/89)

In article <12042@netsys.COM>, len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:

> The \M turns clocal on and the \m turns it off so to speak.

If CLOCAL is ON, under what conditions would cause uucico to report
"lost line"?  I can't get it to work with my modem unless I strap
DCD high.
--
Dave Arnold
...!uunet!ccicpg!arnold!dave

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (01/23/89)

In article <336@arnold.UUCP>, dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:

> If CLOCAL is ON, under what conditions would cause uucico to report
> "lost line"?  I can't get it to work with my modem unless I strap
> DCD high.

I believe that finishing the chat script turns off CLOCAL
automatically, so if you forget the final \m the system will
magically stick one in for you :-(.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.       I speak for you only      attmail!vsi!friedl