[comp.sys.att] troff and HP laser printers

scion@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Sam C. Nicholson II) (01/05/89)

Anyone have any experience with (di)troff and HP laser printers?

Are there any HP post processors out there?

-sam

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (01/05/89)

From article <685@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu>, by scion@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Sam C. Nicholson II):

> Anyone have any experience with (di)troff and HP laser printers?
> Are there any HP post processors out there?

This seems to be a weekly question!  Anyway, if you would like
to use the ditroff package HP uses on their Laserjets call...

		Elan Computer Group, Inc.
		410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
		Palo Alto, CA 94306
		415-322-2450

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (01/05/89)

]
]This seems to be a weekly question!  Anyway, if you would like
]to use the ditroff package HP uses on their Laserjets call...
]
]		Elan Computer Group, Inc.

	Or, use the recently posted jetroff package.  Fine piece
	of software!

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (01/06/89)

In article <7376@chinet.chi.il.us> randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:
:]> Anyone have any experience with (di)troff and HP laser printers?
:]> Are there any HP post processors out there?
:]
:
:	Or, use the recently posted jetroff package.  Fine piece
:	of software!
:
:--
:Randy Suess
:randy@chinet.chi.il.us

Here! Here!  If you are buying for your company, buy both, Elan and JetRoff,
if you are buying for yourself, with your own money, buy JetRoff.  It works
great (as Randy reported) and the price is right.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

mark@shawn.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) (01/08/89)

In article <431@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>Here! Here!  If you are buying for your company, buy both, Elan and JetRoff,
>if you are buying for yourself, with your own money, buy JetRoff.  It works
>great (as Randy reported) and the price is right.

But wait!  Jetroff requires troff.  I only have nroff.  What's a guy to
do?  (I'm on a UNIX-pc)

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (01/08/89)

In article <373@shawn.UUCP> mark@shawn.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) writes:
>In article <431@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM I wrote:
>>great (as Randy reported) and the price is right.
>
>But wait!  Jetroff requires troff.  I only have nroff.  What's a guy to
>do?  (I'm on a UNIX-pc)

Ouch!  You're quite right.  I'm not aware of a DWB for the UNIX-PC, perhaps
someone will post a source to buy it.  It might be available (all guesses) in
THE STORE or maybe from the AT&T Toolchest.  If the latter, you might end
up spending fewer $$ buying a '386 to do your formatting.  Or even a DOS box,
Elan sells DOS DWB for $695.  I've not tried porting Jetroff to DOS, but
if you forego some of the "play pretties" it might go.  I have also seen ads
from Image Network, none specifically mentioning the UNIX-PC.

Elan Computer Group, Inc.  410 Cambridge Ave Ste A  Palo Alto, CA 94306
(415) 322-2450

Image Network  140 S Whisman Road  Mountain View, CA  (415) 967-0542

If they don't have DWB for the UNIX-PC then perhaps they should, given the
large number of them out there.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/11/89)

Speaking of troff for MSDOS... I heard a rumor a while back that
Mortice Kern Systems bought a licence to the documentors' workbench
package with the intent of porting it to the MSDOS world.  I'd keep
an eye on MKSs adverts in Unix World or one of the other rags to
see what develops.  I've used the MKS toolkit, and have been
pleasantly surprised at how well it does in making MSDOS congruent
with the feeling of [U|Xe]nix systems.  Of course, it isn't
perfect, but we are talking of something based on a heart of MSDOS
ya know.  The toolkit is an exceptional value in terms of the
functionality it adds versus the money you spend.

--Bill
wtm@impulse.UUCP

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (01/11/89)

In article <1453@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
[]
>			I've used the MKS toolkit, and have been
>pleasantly surprised at how well it does in making MSDOS congruent
>with the feeling of [U|Xe]nix systems.
[]
>	  The toolkit is an exceptional value in terms of the
>functionality it adds versus the money you spend.

amen!
i wouldn't touch ms-dos without it!

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Apprentice Polymath	| Yes, the wages of sin ARE death, but after they take |

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (01/11/89)

In article <509@ssbn.WLK.COM>, bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

> Ouch!  You're quite right.  I'm not aware of a DWB for the UNIX-PC, perhaps
> someone will post a source to buy it.  It might be available (all guesses) in
> THE STORE or maybe from the AT&T Toolchest.

I have had a couple of mail communications with a Ken Greer of Elan.
I am considering their product for our office.  One question was
pertainent to this discussion.  Contact Ken for further info.

	Ken Greer
	415-322-2450
	ames!elan!kg

/* I asked (among many other things) */
	|  BTW do you have any support for the late-lamented unix-pc?

/* Ken Replied (in part) */

We support the UNIX-PC (we have two).  And we'll continue to support
it as long as we sell Eroff on 'em.
--
Jon LaBadie
{att, ulysses, princeton, bcr}!jonlab!jon

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (01/11/89)

In article <1453@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>Speaking of troff for MSDOS... I heard a rumor a while back that
>Mortice Kern Systems bought a licence to the documentors' workbench
>package with the intent of porting it to the MSDOS world.  ....

They licensed the 'enhanced' troff package from SoftQuad in Toronto,
and ported that to DOS.  They support HP, PostScript & AT&T 495 laser
printers.  We have installed it on some of our PC's, and it seems to
work OK.  The problem we have is that their troff generates a
proprietary intermediate code, which means we are obliged to use
their post-processors instead of being able to ship it up to our
Unix hosts for post-processing.  MKS also (at last inquiry) had not
ported the Imagen post-processor from the SoftQuad code, which would
have been helpful for us.

It's called 'SQPS' for SoftQuad Publishing Software, and I think the
cost is in the $400. range.

(This isn't any sort of official endorsement of the MKS product; our
support group has it and it appears to work OK.)

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "May: In Baton Rouge, the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, announcing that he has
	been forgiven by the Lord, returns to his pulpit, where he receives
	a warm reception from 300 billion locusts."
		- Dave Barry's 1988 Year-In-Review

sac@conrad.UUCP (Steven A. Conrad) (01/12/89)

In article <509@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>In article <373@shawn.UUCP> mark@shawn.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) writes:
>
>Elan Computer Group, Inc.  410 Cambridge Ave Ste A  Palo Alto, CA 94306
>(415) 322-2450
>
>Image Network  140 S Whisman Road  Mountain View, CA  (415) 967-0542
>
>If they don't have DWB for the UNIX-PC then perhaps they should, given the
>large number of them out there.

I've posted this info once before, but here it is again.  Elan does make
a DWB package for the UNIX-pc, and it lists for about $800, excluding
the fonts, which are available from HP (through Elan).

For the past year I've been using a DWB package on my UNIX-pc from Textware
International, PO Box 14 Harvard Square Station, Cambridge MA 02238.
For $600 I got ditroff, the HP Laserjet postprocessor (ditplus), eqn,
tbl, grap, pic, PLUS a complete set of Times Roman-like and Helvetica-like
fonts.  I've been very satisfied with it.  I've not had a chance to use
the package from Elan, but from its product description is seems complete.
	Steve
--
Steven A. Conrad,  Department of Medicine (Critical Care)
Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport, LA

ian@sq.uucp (Ian F. Darwin) (01/13/89)

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>[MKS] licensed the 'enhanced' troff package from SoftQuad in Toronto,
>and ported that to DOS.  They support HP, PostScript & AT&T 495 laser
>printers.  We have installed it on some of our PC's, and it seems to
>work OK.

Thanks for the comments. We're glad you like it.  MKS has indeed done a fine
job of porting SoftQuad Publishing Software (SQPS) from UNIX to the DOS
environment for us.  They also provide, as has been mentioned, the MKS
Toolkit, containing their implementations (not ports) of many standard UNIX
programs.

>The problem we have is that their troff generates a
>proprietary intermediate code, which means we are obliged to use
>their post-processors instead of being able to ship it up to our
>Unix hosts for post-processing.

That's not a bug, it's a feature! :-) The intermediate language that our
troff produces is much easier to operate on with standard UNIX tools such as
awk, sed, etc.  (not to mention the human eye) than is the code produced by
ditroff.  However, we recognize that customers will sometimes want to use the
output of our troff with older post-processors, so current versions of
SoftQuad software include a program called "condit" which converts our
intermediate code into the (cryptic) codes needed by AT&T and others' ditroff
post-processors on your UNIX host.

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>...  I'm not aware of a DWB for the UNIX-PC, perhaps
>someone will post a source to buy it.
>It might be available (all guesses) in
>THE STORE or maybe from the AT&T Toolchest.

SQPS, our substantially-enhanced DWB, is also available for the 3B1 from AT&T
and from SoftQuad.  Full troff support; lots more features, enhancements and
bug-fixes than older troffs and ditroffs.  A snazzy screen previewer for the
3B1 will doubtless be along soon, because several of our R&D staff now own
3B1's!

For information on either version, please phone our marketing department at
416-963-8337.  U.S. inquiries can use the AT&T co-marketing hotline,
800-387-2777.  Or send mail to "mail@sq.com" or uunet!sq!mail.

Hope this information helps.

Ian Darwin
Director of R&D,
SoftQuad Inc.
720 Spadina Avenue
Toronto, Canada
M5S 2T9

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (01/13/89)

In article <147@conrad.UUCP>, sac@conrad.UUCP (Steven A. Conrad) writes:
> For the past year I've been using a DWB package on my UNIX-pc from Textware
> International, PO Box 14 Harvard Square Station, Cambridge MA 02238.
> For $600 I got ditroff, the HP Laserjet postprocessor (ditplus), eqn,
> tbl, grap, pic, PLUS a complete set of Times Roman-like and Helvetica-like
> fonts.  I've been very satisfied with it.  I've not had a chance to use
> the package from Elan, but from its product description is seems complete.

I also use Textware's troff but on my 6300 PLUS.  I am pleased with it
technically and with it's price, but I do have 1 major complaint.  I
bought it for my home machine and at the last job I had we also bought
it for a 3b2.  The product works, but for at least a year and a half I
have been hearing about how I will be getting documentation "next month".
So far I have not gotten any documentation.  I ended up buying a 3rd party
book on troff.  I would have been quite happy with copies of the AT&T
DWB documents, but even that I have not received.  I have called several
times (but not in the last few months) to ask about documentation and every
time I get "it is going to the printer next month".  The LaserJet
post-processor works quite well as does the troff, eqn, pic, etc, but the
lack of documentation makes it frustrating.

I also purchased Jetroff from PC Research and am quite pleased with it.  I
find myself using Jetroff more than Textware since Jetroff provides tools
to deal with any softfont (Textware currently only deals with a few) and
Jetroff provides a few nicer tools.  So, the stuff I got from Textware was
useful for troff, eqn, and the rest of DWB, but for the HP LaserJet post
processor, I like Jetroff.

Note I have no affiliation with either of these companies except to own both
their LaserJet postprocessors for troff.

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, lll-lcc, pyramid}!abhg!misko
abhg!misko@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

pechter@dasys1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (01/21/89)

In article <1453@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>Speaking of troff for MSDOS... I heard a rumor a while back that
>Mortice Kern Systems bought a licence to the documentors' workbench
>package with the intent of porting it to the MSDOS world.  I'd keep

Anyone else like to see a good UUCP/Mail package for the PC?

(How 'bout it MKS)

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (01/23/89)

<UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T, and should be used as an adjective>

In article <1453@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> Speaking of troff for MSDOS... I heard a rumor a while back that
> Mortice Kern Systems bought a licence to the documentors' workbench
> package with the intent of porting it to the MSDOS world.

"MKS SQPS:  Professional Publishing Software for the Power User

"Now available for the DOS environment:  all the power of UNIX
[operating system's] troff at the fingertips of the most demanding PC
users.  Everything you need from UNIX [operating system] typesetting to
create polished documents under DOS.  Graphs [graf and pic], equations
[eqn], bit-mapped images, tables [tbl]:  all of these elements can be
incorporated with ease into this flexible, macro-driven text formatter.

"MKS SQPS is an enhanced [and licensed!] derivative of AT&T's powerful
Documentor's Workbench, optimized for use in the DOS environment."
(Quoted from MKS's ad in the Fall '88 Programmer's Connection catalog.)
List $495, Programmer's Connection $479.  As I understand it, driver
programs for HP and Postscript printers are extra.

>                     I've used the MKS Toolkit, and have been
> pleasantly surprised at how well it does in making MSDOS congruent
> with the feeling of [U|Xe]nix systems.  Of course, it isn't
> perfect, but we are talking of something based on a heart of MSDOS
> ya know.  The toolkit is an exceptional value in terms of the
> functionality it adds versus the money you spend.

What he said.  Awk, ksh, vi, and over a hundred other utilities, based
on those in the UNIX operating system.  List $169, Programmer's
Connection $129.

> --Bill, wtm@impulse.UUCP

Paul S. R. Chisholm, psrc@pegasus.att.com (formerly psc@lznv.att.com)
AT&T Bell Laboratories, att!pegasus!psrc, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I personally am a satisfied customer of both Programmer's Connection
and MKS; but I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.