[comp.sys.att] lib/libp/{libc.a,libmalloc.a}

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (01/25/89)

In article <1052@adds.newyork.NCR.COM> version B 2.10.3 4.3bsd-beta 6/6/85; site cbmvax.UUCP cbmvax!uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) writes:
>I have a question about which libraries come with the
>development set on my 3b1. I have V3.5, but I have two versions
>of libc.a and libmalloc.a. The second version of these are
>located in /lib/libp.

/lib/libp contains the profiled versions of those libraries for use with
cc -p.  The actual code should be the same, other than each function in
the -p version containing code to count the number of times it is called.

>The difference in libc.a is mount.o.  In libmalloc.a malloc.o is
>different.  Both sets have exactly the same date, and when I do
>an "ar tv" on the library, the dates on the .o's are also the same.

There are more differences than just those; every .o should be different.
The size command will demonstrate this.

You can delete the files in /lib/libp/ if you don't need the -p option
to cc.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com