[comp.sys.att] 3.5" external drive for PC6300

blissl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Leonard B. Bliss) (01/27/89)

I have finally scrounged the funds to install a 3.5" drive on
my PC6300 (*NOT* PLUS).  Can anyone out there suggest a brand
that has proven to be reasonally reliable?  Since I have a
hard disk in the B slot, this must be an external drive.  I
am running DOS 3.0 and know I must upgrade my RAM from vrsion
1.27.  What other hardware (such as a controller card) will I
need?

Please post or send responses E-mail.  Thanks in advance.
Len Bliss
Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608
BLISSLB@APPSTATE.BITNET
BLISSL@ECSVAX.BITNET
blissl@uncecs.edu
BLISSL@ECSVAX.UUCP

billp@scr1.UUCP (01/29/89)

In article <6284@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, blissl@ecsvax.UUCP writes:

> I have finally scrounged the funds to install a 3.5" drive on
> my PC6300
> Len Bliss

All you need to do is get a 720k 3 1/2 inch drive in a case with a power supply.

Then make a new cable that'll slip out of the case and connect to the drive.
The 3.5's usually come with adapters that let them hook to standard edge
connectors.  Some come without these adapters and use berg 34 pin connectors.

Your easiest bet is to make the internal drive the one at the cable's
midpoint and disable the terminator on that drive.  Use the termination
in the 3.5.   I recommend a later dos version.   AT&T's got v3.30A
with DRIVEPARM working. (Or the Right Choice BBS (201)974-8317 has
a 720k driiver) for dos 3.XX).

The 1.43 bios upgrade is a good idea. (What's 1.27 -- I thought there was
1.0, 1.1, 1.21, 1.44).

--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757