[comp.sys.att] 3b1 dissassembler patches

alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (02/03/89)

	I'm sending the latest patches for the 3b1 dissassembler to
comp.sources.misc, if for some reason you don't read that group (or they fail
to arrive after a couple weeks) send me mail and I'll mail them to you.

	These patches do a few things:

	fix random syntax bugs.

	do automatic lookup of shared library addresses, so that you can
dissassemble stipped files.

	do better internal address resolution, and more accurately display
holes in the data segment.

	make "dis -lc(malloc.o)" work.

	There is also a -k flag, that will attempt to resolve varoius kernal
addresses, includeing the u structure. unfortunely there are still problems
dealing with relocatable symbols, so this is of dubious value.

	documentation is still poor, but I'm working on it.

	Enjoy.
--
					:alex
Alex Crain

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (02/04/89)

In article <1636@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:

> 	I'm sending the latest patches for the 3b1 dissassembler to
> comp.sources.misc...
> 	do automatic lookup of shared library addresses, so that you can
> dissassemble stipped files.
> 	make "dis -lc(malloc.o)" work.
> 	There is also a -k flag, that will attempt to resolve varoius kernal
> addresses, includeing the u structure. unfortunely there are still problems
> dealing with relocatable symbols, so this is of dubious value.
> Alex Crain
> Systems Programmer			alex@umbc3.umbc.edu
> Univ Md Baltimore County		nerwin!alex@umbc3.umbc.edu (NEW DOMAIN)

Distributing (or using) such a utility in the manner illustrated above
sounds like a blatant violation of your UNIX PC license:

AT&T UNIX PC System Software Book (the one with the disks in it)
Page 2/3
"LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

THIS CARD CONTAINS THE AT&T INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INC. ("AT&T-IS")
LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT.

YOU SHOULD READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE BEFORE YOU
OPEN THE SEALS ON THE PACKAGES CONTAINING THE DISKETTE AND THE
DOCUMENTATION.  ONCE YOU HAVE READ THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT AND AGREE TO ITS
TERMS, YOU MAY OPEN THE SEALED ENVELOPE... BY OPENING THE SEAL, YOU SHOW YOUR
ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS OF THIS LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE
AGREEMENT...
1. TITLE AND LICENSE GRANT
	You agree to use your best efforts to see that any user of the
SOFTWARE licensed hereunder complies with the terms and conditions of this
Agreement and refrains from taking any steps, such as reverse
assembly or reverse compilation, to derive a source code equivalent
of the software.
..."

--------------- END QUOTE ----------------------
I have noticed a few postings if so-called "reverse assembled" sources
float by.  These postings violate the Unix PC license.

I am not saying the disassembler violates the license, but the poster
above gave examples of things that DO violate the license.

I'd check with your legal department to make sure what you are doing
is legal...

alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (02/05/89)

In article <434@polyof.UUCP> john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:

>Distributing (or using) such a utility in the manner illustrated above
>sounds like a blatant violation of your UNIX PC license:

	Nah. I included kernel symbols so that you could debug the loadable
device drivers that you wrote. I would never suggest that you use such a
utility to dissassemble propriatary AT&T code, that would be illegal. There
is a readme file that refers users to the licence agreement you mentioned, it
is called README.FIRST and is included in the sources.

	I would implore all users of this utility to "just say no" when someone
suggest that they dissassemble the kernal or any of the AT&T utilities.

>I have noticed a few postings if so-called "reverse assembled" sources
>float by.  These postings violate the Unix PC license.

	The only such posting that I am aware of was Fords keyboard driver,
which was reverse engineered from a Public Domain driver called capcntrl
(available free from AT&T's, "The Store").

>I am not saying the disassembler violates the license, but the poster
>above gave examples of things that DO violate the license.

	Now now, I would never do that. just because I posted the thing and
offered ways to utilize it, doesen't imply that I encourage breaking the law.
Dissassembling the kernel is quite legal as long as you have the proper
source licence(s), I trust that the unix-pc community is upright enough to
obay all of the local laws and statutes.

	Besides, I told you that it was of dubious value.
--
					:alex
Alex Crain
Systems Programmer			alex@umbc3.umbc.edu
Univ Md Baltimore County		nerwin!alex@umbc3.umbc.edu (NEW DOMAIN)

joel@arizona.edu (Joel M. Snyder) (02/05/89)

I don't want to begin a long legal discussion (which belongs on another
news group), but I do want to remind the gentleman @polyof that the license
agreement which is printed on the envelope which you "agree" to when
you open the envelope is not necessarily enforceable in all states, and
in ones in which it is, the clause involving disassembly has never (to
my knowledge) been tested .

The whole point of this class of "shrink wrap" license agreements is
that someone can't hold you to a contract which is (I forget the legal
term for it, but roughly:) "one-sided."  A contract in which you
implicitly have no chance to negotiate terms and conditions is not
necessarily a valid contract.

The opinion of the folks in our department that deal with those
agreements is that we agree to follow the spirit of the agreement in
re: one license bought per machine, but that the miscellaneous
conditions regarding the number of backups, disassembly, and all that
other nonsense, are both unenforcable and useless.

In summary: just because it says it on the paper, doesn't mean it's
so.

(please, followups to the appropriate news.whatever group, NOT 3b2!)

jms@mis.arizona.edu
(Joel M Snyder)

motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) (02/05/89)

In article <434@polyof.UUCP> john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:
>In article <1636@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>>
>> 	I'm sending the latest patches for the 3b1 dissassembler to
>> comp.sources.misc...
>> 	do automatic lookup of shared library addresses, so that you can
>> dissassemble stipped files.
>> 	make "dis -lc(malloc.o)" work.
>> 	There is also a -k flag, that will attempt to resolve varoius kernal
>> addresses, includeing the u structure. unfortunely there are still problems
>> dealing with relocatable symbols, so this is of dubious value.
>> Alex Crain
>> Systems Programmer			alex@umbc3.umbc.edu
>> Univ Md Baltimore County		nerwin!alex@umbc3.umbc.edu (NEW DOMAIN)
>
>Distributing (or using) such a utility in the manner illustrated above
>sounds like a blatant violation of your UNIX PC license:
>
> [etc. etc. ... ]

This is utter nonsense.  You can do whatever you want with your
binaries, dissassemble, patch, reassemble, explore, munge, etc., *as
long as you don't re-distribute the results*.

Redistributing the binaries is obviously illegal; distributing a
straight dissassembly, or significant portions of a dissassembly, is
also.  However, distributing or discussing "principles of operations,"
techniques, etc., that you may discover by examining binaries is a
somewhat grey area.  Companies might not like you to do this, but
this is no longer any sort of copyright violation.

If a company managed to cover some algorithm as a "trade secret"
they might be able to make trouble if you disclosed it.

If the algorithm is patented, it's on file anyway, and you can
"disclose" it all you want.  You just can't *use* it in something you
are distributing.

Howard Motteler