[comp.sys.att] NMI Parity Errors while Parallel Printing

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (02/19/89)

Anybody seen this?

We've got a 3B1 which panics with NMI parity errors after 2-10 lines
have printed through the parallel Port.

Starlan printing works fine.  We've tried other computers with this
printer/cable and they print OK.

I developed a theory that somehow the parallel port drains some power
and causes memory to forget.  I'll probably get 20 letters from people
telling me how silly this theory is.  |-)

Bob
---
  National Organization for the  | Bob Ames       \ Marijuana: "The safest drug
 Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML | 619-743-2546    \ in the world" (Source Drug
"Marijuana is safer than tobacco"| bob@rush.cts.com \ Enforcement Admin - 1987)
Surgeon General C Everett Koop'88      ##### ..nosc! )..!crash!rush.cts.com!bob
"Pot is best fire de-erosion seed| ..hplabs!hp-sdd! /   "We each pay a fabulous
& 1 acre of pot equals 4 acres of| ..rutgers!ucsd! /    price - for our visions
trees for paper products." - USDA|                /   of paradise" -- Rush 1987

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (02/20/89)

In article <788@rush.cts.com> bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>We've got a 3B1 which panics with NMI parity errors after 2-10 lines
>have printed through the parallel Port.

Have you tried the same printer & cable on another Unix PC?

My 3B1  has always done the same thing; I'm glad to hear I'm not the only
one, since that seems to point to a cabling problem or something.  Since I
only discovered the problem after the warrantee expired, I just resigned
myself to sending files to the Amiga for printing.  But now, I'll
investigate it further.

I suspect a bug in the lp device driver which only shows up under some rare
timing conditions which our printers somehow make happen.  The one I tried
is an Epson FX-85, with a "straight-through" cable with every pin connected.

>I developed a theory that somehow the parallel port drains some power
>and causes memory to forget.  I'll probably get 20 letters from people
>telling me how silly this theory is.  |-)

Hmmmm... doesn't seem too likely unless you have a marginal ram chip to
start with.  Also, I would expect that just having the printer connected
would be enough to cause such a problem, even if it wasn't printing.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

jay@banzai.UUCP (Jay Schuster) (02/22/89)

In article <788@rush.cts.com> bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>We've got a 3B1 which panics with NMI parity errors after 2-10 lines
>have printed through the parallel Port.

We have seen a lot of 3B1's go through our doors, and just this
week we had exactly this problem with one of them.  Freshly loaded
3.51.  This is with an Okidata 390 printer, but we have dozens of
other 3B1's in the exact same configuration running with no problems.
We loaded 3.51 again (actually, we swapped hard drives) and the
problem persisted.  We got AT&T to come and replace the motherboard,
and now, instead of NMI's, we get completely garbled output, as if
no handshaking is going on with the parallel port.

I think we're going to open this baby up and check the wiring to
the parallel port.

Even though we bought it recently, it has an old serial number, so
who knows?

--
Jay Schuster			uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'

ebd@cup.portal.com (Elliot B Dierksen) (02/24/89)

One thing to check on 3B1/7300's is that in my experience with my own and
numerous others is that they seem to eat parallel cables. I know this sounds
really stupid but i have seen all kind of printer problems develop on Unix PC's
rapidly and then mysteriously disappear when the cable is replaced... ????

Like i said, i know it sounds irrational but i have seen it happen at least
3 different times on 3 different boxes. Any good answers to that one?? :-)

Elliot Dierksen
ebd@cup.portal.com

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (02/26/89)

>One thing to check on 3B1/7300's is that in my experience with my own and
>numerous others is that they seem to eat parallel cables. I know this sounds
>really stupid but i have seen all kind of printer problems develop on Unix PC's
>rapidly and then mysteriously disappear when the cable is replaced... ????

A very common problem with the 3b1/7300 and parallel cables isn't the
cable itself, but rather how the cable connects to the 3b1.

For some reason, the parts normally available on the cable and 3b1 end
don't deal all that well with each other.  When you plug it in, it may
look and feel like it has a solid connection, but it often doesn't.

Many people have had parallel printer problems, ranging from odd
printing to complete failures.

Solution?  Forcibly press in the cable into the 3b1 while testing the
printer.  If this improves printer performance (or brings it back to
life), then get some screws and bolt the cable in place.

You'd be surprised, but it does wonders.

--
       Robert J. Granvin
 National Information Services              Gorn base 2 just appeared.