[comp.sys.att] Internet on a UNIX-PC

jmc@elvin.ESAM.NWU.EDU (Marc Chandonia) (02/25/89)

	Has anyone gotten a free (public domain or limited license) TCP/IP
package working on a unix-pc?  If so, please tell me where I can get it
and any "tricks" you need to install it.

	I am currently trying to install a TCP/IP package called KA9Q.  It
is supposed to work on system V machines, bsd machines, etc.  However, the
only description of the installation procedure is for an IBM PC.  Doing the
"obvious" stuff (various defines pertaining to slip protocol and system V
installation) does not work; the machine locks up when the executable
program is run.  If anyone has gotten this package to work, please post
or e-mail me a message telling how to do it.

	Thanks in advance.

--
John-Marc Chandonia               |        jmc@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu
Integrated Science Program        |        jmc@elvin.esam.nwu.edu

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (02/26/89)

>	I am currently trying to install a TCP/IP package called KA9Q.  It
>is supposed to work on system V machines, bsd machines, etc.  However, the
>only description of the installation procedure is for an IBM PC.  Doing the
>"obvious" stuff (various defines pertaining to slip protocol and system V
>installation) does not work; the machine locks up when the executable
>program is run.  If anyone has gotten this package to work, please post
>or e-mail me a message telling how to do it.

There is a version of ka9q that has been "tuned" to the 3b1.
Information was posted some time ago on how to retrieve it by
anonymous UUCP (I've since lost the info)-:

In any case, this question and others about ka9q has been posted
several times by several people, but it seems that answers aren't
forthcoming.  It's unfortunate, because the package could possibly be
useful to some people (it obviously must be, since some people put the
effort into it, and are using it).

What would it take to convince anyone who has successfully set up and
used the package to post even the most basic information on
configuration and usage?

--
       Robert J. Granvin
 National Information Services              Gorn base 2 just appeared.

erict@flatline.UUCP (Lemmy Caution) (02/26/89)

In article <1219@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>	I am currently trying to install a TCP/IP package called KA9Q.  It

Um, what hardware do I have to have (besides a 3b1) to to TCP/IP?  I'm
working on a project that may use a large number of 7300/3b1s (they're
cheap, easy to repair, etc) and I'm keeping track of ways to put
them together.  Does this require the Starlan card?
Is Starlan = ethernet?

thx in advance.
--
J. Eric Townsend | "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs.  This
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict | is your brain on drugs with spam and toast."

ccs@lazlo.UUCP (Clifford C. Skolnick) (02/26/89)

In article <17@elvin.ESAM.NWU.EDU> jmc@elvin.ESAM.NWU.EDU (Marc Chandonia) writes:

>	Has anyone gotten a free (public domain or limited license) TCP/IP
>package working on a unix-pc?  If so, please tell me where I can get it
>and any "tricks" you need to install it.

  Ok, here's the info again for ka9q tcp/ip on the 3b1.

Files are availible for downloading at 300/1200/2400 baud.  MNP class 3
is supported.

system  : lazlo
login   : uuanon
password: anon
phone   : (716) 272-7551

all files are in /usr/spool/uucppublic, so to extract the CONTENTS
file request "lazlo!~uucp/CONTENTS".  NOTE: wild cards are NOT
supported.

Size  File              Description

   2 CONTENTS		This file
 149 e.ka9q.30.Z*	3B1 executable for ka9q tcp/ip (compiled with gcc)
 513 ka9q.30.Z 		Source for 881225.30 of ka9q tcp/ip (setup for 3b1)
  14 ka9q.bm.doc.Z 	Manual for bm mailer
 165 ka9q.man.doc.Z 	Manual for ka9q tcp/ip
  72 ka9q.tut.doc.Z 	Tutorial for ka9q tcp/ip
--
Clifford C. Skolnick  | "She'll build a wall, so you can cross her off of your
UUCP: ccs@lazlo.UUCP  | list" -- Elvis Costello

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders) (02/26/89)

In article <1219@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>	I am currently trying to install a TCP/IP package called KA9Q.  It
>>is supposed to work on system V machines, bsd machines, etc.  However, the

	Depending on your wheere you got the ka9q code, you should be able
to follow the DOS installation as far as directory structure goes.
There is a difference in the config files, but only the name of the
files not the actuall commands. autoexec.net (on dos) has been replaced
with  startup.net (on unix).

>There is a version of ka9q that has been "tuned" to the 3b1.
>Information was posted some time ago on how to retrieve it by
>anonymous UUCP (I've since lost the info)-:
	I have a "tuned" version of ka9q's tcp/ip code running on my
7300.. I have it link to my other 7300,3B2 and dos machines.
I also have it on the air, operating a 3 frequency tcp switch.

>In any case, this question and others about ka9q has been posted
>several times by several people, but it seems that answers aren't
>forthcoming.  It's unfortunate, because the package could possibly be
What problems are you having? I have been running the code for
several years now.. Most of my work is "on the air", but I do slip
link some of my other pc's, you can drop me some mail if you have
some questions.  I am not sure how usefull the package really is
over a slip link. YOu can ftp files around systems, adn email is supported,
but if your looking for RFS/NFS and other things ka9q packages
dosent have  it. Phil wrote the code with the amature radio
community in mind. The source is available so you can change what you want.
the code is ever changing, there are many people making mods.
Soon, most likley before "DAYTON" (that end of april for non-hams),
there should be another offical release of the code with more enhancements.

--
Gary W. Sanders (osu-cis!n8emr!gws), 72277,1325, N8EMR @ W8CQK
(ip addr) 44.70.0.1 [Ohio AMPR address coordinator]

jmc@elvin.ESAM.NWU.EDU (Marc Chandonia) (02/28/89)

In article <152@lazlo.UUCP>, ccs@lazlo.UUCP (Clifford C. Skolnick) writes:
/   Ok, here's the info again for ka9q tcp/ip on the 3b1.
/
/
[...]

Are these files available for FTP'ing anywhere?  OR.. would someone in the area
download them and put them up for anonymous FTP?  A posting to unix-pc.sources
would be appreciated, as I have gotten several mail responses to my original
article.  Of course, if someone would like to mail them to me, that would
be best of all! :-)

Thanks,
JMC
--
John-Marc Chandonia               |        jmc@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu
Integrated Science Program        |        jmc@elvin.esam.nwu.edu
Northwestern University           |        jmc@isp.isp.nwu.edu

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (03/01/89)

I'll grab the files and make them available for anonymous ftp
from here later tonight.
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET