[comp.sys.att] mkfs and inodes

pjh@mccc.UUCP (peter j holsberg) (02/23/89)

If I run a mkfs on an existing file system (just to increase the number
of inodes), will I be wiping out the files in the system?

If so, is it necessary to reformat before using mkfs?

Thanks,
Pete

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (02/23/89)

Sorry about forgetting my .signature!
--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (02/24/89)

In article <617@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (peter j holsberg) writes:
> If I run a mkfs on an existing file system (just to increase the number
> of inodes), will I be wiping out the files in the system?

YES!!! Please back-up your entire file-system BEFORE running mkfs on it.  "mkfs"
will zero any inodes there are currently on the disk, and will extend the
the inode table into space previously used for file data.

> If so, is it necessary to reformat before using mkfs?
> Pete

You do not have to reformat your hard disk.  Please be sure you specify the
correct filesystem size when using the mkfs command!  On some 3B systems,
most notable 3b15's, the system has no concept as to where the file
system physically ends on the disk (All fileystems "end" with the last
cylinder on the disk).  If you give it a size bigger than the filesystem should
be, it will go right ahead and scribble over the NEXT filesystem on the
disk.  "mkfs" is a command that should be used with great care; be careful.

john@polyof.poly.edu

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (03/02/89)

In article <617@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (peter j holsberg) writes:

> If I run a mkfs on an existing file system (just to increase the number
> of inodes), will I be wiping out the files in the system?

By all means yes it will.  When it finishes the partition will be
squeaky clean!!!  Remember to remake the lost+found directory with
the /usr/lbin/mklost+found command in order to assure that an
adequate number of blocks/inodes have been set aside in the event
of a crash.

> If so, is it necessary to reformat before using mkfs?

In short, no.

Philip A. Gross			   |INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2@wb3ffv.ampr.org
The Computer Solution Co., Inc.    |USENET:	...!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716 |UUCP:	tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716         |ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
Voice: (804)794-3491               |
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)