[comp.sys.att] printers and drivers for 3b1

wouk@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Arthur Wouk) (03/09/89)

i am contemplating getting an epson lq850 for my 3b1. they are now
available for $439+cable cost and shipping from new york. i checked my
3.51 software and it recognizes only two epson fx printers. i called
at$t tech support and get wishy washy answers about whether or not
those drivers will support the epson lq series and the 850 in
particular. i have noticed this behavior on the part of at&t support
before :-).

can anyone give me advice about such support, or the availability of
suitable drivers for the epson lq line, or point me to it. i do not
have access to unix-pc.*.

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (03/11/89)

In article <13792@duke.cs.duke.edu>, wouk@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Arthur Wouk) writes:
> i am contemplating getting an epson lq850 for my 3b1. they are now
> available for $439+cable cost and shipping from new york. i checked my
> 3.51 software and it recognizes only two epson fx printers. i called

I had an LQ 500, that is essentially the cost-reduced, feature-upped
successor to the LQ800/850 series.  I used the existing epson
drivers and had no problem at all.  In fact, the manual tells you
it supports use of previous epson drivers.

> suitable drivers for the epson lq line, or point me to it. i do not
> have access to unix-pc.*.
I don't get it.  Are you saying you have a 3B1, but not a 7300?
Doesn't seem important.  BTW, you might consider getting a Deskjet
from HP.  Just a bit more, around $550 from Elektek, if I remember,
near-laserjet quality, and hasn't given us a lick of trouble from
the several units around here.  Uses the Laserjet drivers in the
3B1, too.

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ihlpq!gms (312)979-0914

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (03/12/89)

I agree; I've had a Deskjet printer hooked up to my 3b1 for about
the last 8 months and have been pleased with the results so far.
No problems doing bit mapped screen dumps, etc.  About the only
thing I can complain about is that since the Deskjet's ink is water
based, you can smudge your output if you handle it with samp hands,
etc.

What I was wondering, is what's the best TMS Roman cartridge to
get?  So far, I've just been using nroff in the generic tty mode
with the built-in 10 pt typewriter font.  There's a USASCII Roman
cartridge and another cart. that has a bigger character set.  The
diff is that the one with the bigger character set has fewer fonts.
The reason I ask is that it matters how you ask the printer for a
font.  About a month ago, I ran into a situation where a guy was
using a PC6300/msdos and PFS write with a Deskjet.  He bought the
USASCII cart; it turned out that PFS generates printer escape codes
that ask for the roman font that has the bigger charcter set.  It
took several hours of goofing around to patch Write to generate the
proper escape sequneces.  I'd rather not have to patch the 3b1's
laserjet filter, if you know what I mean....

--Bill