[comp.sys.att] AT&T 6300 Floppy Drives

mhampson@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark A. Hampson) (03/08/89)

Does anyone have a solid explaination as to why the floppy drives of the
AT&T 6300 spin slowly?  I have a large number of these machines that I
take care of and recently we have been made aware that our machines will
not read diskettes that were formatted on 'normal' IBM type PC's and
compatibles.  Our first reaction was that the drives were dirty as they
see an enourmous amount of use.  Cleaning did not seem to have any effect.
A floppy that was formatted on a 6300 would be read by any other 6300.

I borrowed a program called RediScope which uses the Dysan Digital Test
Diskette and can check disk speed, alignment etc.  Every one of the drives
reported slow. (292 RPM instead of the normal 300+/-5 RPM).  I was told by
the person in charge of maintaining the PC here and he claims that it is
due to the fact that Olivetti designed them to be compatible with the
European 50Hz power.  I find that this explaination has some pretty large
hole in it considering that the drives are built by toshiba and are printed
with markings for 300 RPM at 12VDC.  (Not AC 50 Hz here)

In the 6300 this power comes off of the power supply just like it does in
other PC's and has been checked an is 12VDC, even under load.  (Monitor is
powered from the same supply).

I don't get it, why would you intentionally design outside of the operational
limits of the spec.? :-|  This seems od (if not counter productive) to me?

Looking for answers:

--
Mark A. Hampson                                     WPI Mechanical Engineering
Internet: mhampson@wpi.wpi.edu                       Worcester, MA  01609  USA

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6510300~Frank McGee~C23~M24~6326~) (03/10/89)

In article <1229@wpi.wpi.edu> mhampson@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark A. Hampson) writes:
>Does anyone have a solid explaination as to why the floppy drives of the
>AT&T 6300 spin slowly?  I have a large number of these machines that I
[.........]
>I borrowed a program called RediScope which uses the Dysan Digital Test
>Diskette and can check disk speed, alignment etc.  Every one of the drives
>reported slow. (292 RPM instead of the normal 300+/-5 RPM).  I was told by
[........]
>hole in it considering that the drives are built by toshiba and are printed
>with markings for 300 RPM at 12VDC.  (Not AC 50 Hz here)

These two points would seem to contradict each other.  The drive is not
modified by AT&T in any way, and Toshiba says they should be spinning at
300 RPM.  I used to support over 300 6300's and never saw problems moving
disks between 6300's, IBM PC's, IBM AT's, Zenith clones, Radio Shack
clones, NCR clones, and even a few no-name clones.  As floppy drives get
used, they wear out -- plain and simple.  We never saw abnormal failures
even under extreme usage.

You might want to try actually removing the drives and physically
cleaning them (ie, removing all the dust and stuff).  In many cases
PC's are placed under desks, in cabinets, etc. where they are
exposed to a LOT of dust that gets sucked into them from their fans.
It's a good idea to vacuum out your PC every now and then, and make
sure your cleaning crew dusts them when they clean at night.

Unfortunately, it looks like your drives are worn out and need to be
replaced.  You should be able to pick up replacement drives for less
than $100 each.
--
Frank McGee
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support

jec@nesac2.att.com (John Carter ATLN SADM) (03/19/89)

In article <2599@cuuxb.ATT.COM>, fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6510300~Frank McGee~C23~M24~6326~) writes:
> In article <1229@wpi.wpi.edu> mhampson@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark A. Hampson) writes:
] ]Does anyone have a solid explaination as to why the floppy drives of the
] ]AT&T 6300 spin slowly?  I have a large number of these machines that I
] [.........]
] ]I borrowed a program called RediScope which uses the Dysan Digital Test

Does the program compensate for machine speed differences between
the 'Big Blue' standard system clock and the faster clock in the 6300 and/or
for the differences in the 8088 vs 8086 chips?

] ]Diskette and can check disk speed, alignment etc.  Every one of the drives
] ]reported slow. (292 RPM instead of the normal 300+/-5 RPM).  I was told by
]
] These two points would seem to contradict each other.  The drive is not
] modified by AT&T in any way, and Toshiba says they should be spinning at
] 300 RPM.  I used to support over 300 6300's and never saw problems moving
] disks between 6300's, IBM PC's, IBM AT's, Zenith clones, Radio Shack
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, 401 W. Peachtree, FLOC 2932-6, Atlanta GA 30308
Video:	...att!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+581-6239