[comp.sys.att] man pages for the 6386

robert@koko.UUCP (Robert Zeff) (03/18/89)

Does anyone know where I can get man pages for the 6386?
Ours came with none!
Thanks,

--
Robert Zeff                         (209) 577-4268 work, 577-8548 FAX
ZAPCO

dml00269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/19/89)

In article <915@koko.UUCP> robert@koko.UUCP (Robert Zeff) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get man pages for the 6386?
>Ours came with none!
>Thanks,

I noticed that we we started getting in some 6386's.  I checked into it and
found that AT&T does not provide man pages with the 386 version of UNIX.  I
have yet to locate a place to get them.

joel@arizona.edu (Joel M. Snyder) (03/19/89)

Not just 386s, but also 3B2s.  To get the man pages which
approximate the Unix System V release, we copied them off
of a 3B15.

Quite frankly, leaving off the man pages (or at least not including
them as an "optional" save set) is only the first in a long line
of insults to the user.  Including that abominable ``usage'' facility
in place of man (most common reply from usage: "no information on
that command") is the second.  Who do they think they're kidding,
anyway?

jms

john@banzai.UUCP (John Canning) (03/21/89)

In article <915@koko.UUCP> robert@koko.UUCP (Robert Zeff) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get man pages for the 6386?
>Ours came with none!

When you purchase the AT&T Unix Sys V r3.2 foundation set for the 6386,
you should receive a package of 4 manuals, including a user's guide,
and admin guide, a reference manual, and info on the face program.

When you purchase the C Development set, you receive a programmer's
reference manual, and the programmer's guide, along with documentation
on streams, and programming with fmli (the face stuff).

AT&T does not distributes the man pages on line with their systems.

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6510300~Frank McGee~C23~M24~6326~) (03/22/89)

In article <631@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dml00269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu () writes:
>In article <915@koko.UUCP> robert@koko.UUCP (Robert Zeff) writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can get man pages for the 6386?
>>Ours came with none!

I believe what you mean is that they didn't come with machine-readable
man pages; your Unix distribution should have come with assorted
printed manuals.

I don't think on-line man pages are available for 386 Unix.  If I hear
anything about it I'll post availability info here.

On a personal note, I used to love on-line man pages, but now that I
use the manual a lot, I prefer the printed manuals.  I can find things
quicker and more easily, plus it's easier to flip between two or three
manual pages in different sections.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support

In article <2624@cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee@cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee) writes:

>On a personal note, I used to love on-line man pages, but now that I
>use the manual a lot, I prefer the printed manuals.  I can find things
>quicker and more easily, plus it's easier to flip between two or three
>manual pages in different sections.
>Frank McGee, AT&T

I take it that you don't do any work from remote locations, or perhaps
you like to cart 50 lb. of manuals around with you.  And what about the
other users on the machine?  Or do you consider the 386 as a single-user
computer?  Now that disk space is more or less affordable, let's get the
manual back on-line.  Wouldn't AT&T like to sell everyone the next size
larger disk?

Les Mikesell

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (03/23/89)

In article <1120@banzai.UUCP>, john@banzai.UUCP (John Canning) writes:

> AT&T does not distributes the man pages on line with their systems.

The 3B5, 3B15, and (probably) 3B4000 come with online man pages...

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl@vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

"I do everything in software, even DMA" - Gary W. Keefe (garyk@telxon)

rwa@aurora.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (03/25/89)

In article <7991@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> [...] Or do you consider the 386 as a single-user
> computer?  Now that disk space is more or less affordable, let's get the
> manual back on-line.  Wouldn't AT&T like to sell everyone the next size
> larger disk?

From my experience, they consider the 3b2/600 a single user computer (no
man pages).  They _almost_ consider the 3b4000 (a $500,000+ machine) single
user - for that, we could get man pages, but not the troff source; just
ascii files that had come out the back of nroff.  We are 5.3.1 source
licensed, btw.  I am less than impressed.

	Ross

ps: We bought Fortran XLA from ATT recently, and it came complete with an
on-line man page entry - same as above; just something suitable to be copied
to a printer.

	rwa

pss@unh.UUCP (Paul S. Sawyer == paul) (03/30/89)

In article <502@aurora.AthabascaU.CA>, rwa@aurora.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
> From my experience, they consider the 3b2/600 a single user computer (no
> man pages).  They _almost_ consider the 3b4000 (a $500,000+ machine) single
> user - for that, we could get man pages, but not the troff source; just
> ascii files that had come out the back of nroff.  We are 5.3.1 source
> licensed, btw.  I am less than impressed.
>
> 	Ross
>
> ps: We bought Fortran XLA from ATT recently, and it came complete with an
> on-line man page entry - same as above; just something suitable to be copied
> to a printer.
>
> 	rwa

On my 3B15, System V, Release 2, I have the man directory, but that is
useless because I don't have nroff (once, I believe, one of the characteristic
features of Unix, now optional at extra cost);  I also have a catman directory,
so I CAN get the info on my terminal, but my printers don't like it...  The
(printed) manual also says that the disk versions may be out of date...

Remember when ATT were experts in electronic communications?

--
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (03/30/89)

     McGee) writes:

          On a personal note, I used to love on-line man
          pages, but now that I use the manual a lot, I prefer
          the printed manuals.  I can find things quicker and
          more easily, plus it's easier to flip between two or
          three manual pages in different sections.  Frank McGee,
          AT&T

     I take it that you don't do any work from remote
     locations, or perhaps you like to cart 50 lb. of manuals
     around with you.  And what about the other users on the
     machine?  Or do you consider the 386 as a single-user
     computer?  Now that disk space is more or less affordable,
     let's get the manual back on-line.  Wouldn't AT&T like to
     sell everyone the next size larger disk?

One can get on-line manual pages.  It is a special order and is
listed as "machine readable documentation".  Contact your Account
Executive or 1-800-ATT-UNIX.
--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL  ...!{att,lll-crg,attunix}!cuuxb!dlm  OR dlm@cuuxb.att.com