[net.movies] Educating Rita

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (11/03/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.movies
>From : RAINBO::GREENWOOD
Subj: Educating Rita

I saw Educating Rita after having seen the play in London. I was
pleasantly surprised that the film was more faithfull to the play than
I had expected - apart from the ending. The end of the film descended
into mush, wheras the end of the play stayed on the more powerful
exposition of education/choice. The movie did not make the statement
that 'education is not ideal for many people'.

The film is still well worth seeing, Julie Walters is as good as
expected and Michael Caine proved that given a vehicle he can act.
Julie Walters is far better known in England than in the US. She has
done a number of TV shows with Victoria Wood, with any luck PBS might
pick up some of them.

Tim

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!rainbo!greenwood

 End Forwarded Message

Cowden.Wbst@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (11/11/83)

Just saw 'Educating Rita' last night.  It's the story of Rita, a
hairdresser, who wants to better herself by getting a college education,
so she returns to an after hours program at an unspecified British
college.  The fresh viewpoints she brings to her professor, and her
humor, plus her total drive to obtain an education bring warm human
moments to this film.  The story is wittily written and superbly acted.
It's the best performance by Michael Caine that I can remember, and
Julie Walters' performance is a dazzling introduction to films for this
veteran stage actress.  I certainly hope we see more of her soon.

One of the top ten films this year.  Don't miss it.

Charlie.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (11/23/83)

#R:sri-arpa:-1356000:hpfcla:18600001:000:530
hpfcla!ajs    Nov 15 17:51:00 1983

On the other hand,  while  Educating  Rita was very well  acted, and put
together  technically, it just wasn't FUN as far as I was concerned.  It
came off as  rather  dull and  senseless,  in my  opinion.  But  then, I
didn't  think  much of  Ordinary  People,  either.  I guess it's a great
movie if you like movies  just about  people -- no action, no travel, no
special effects...

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
ucbvax!hplabs!hpfcla!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"