[comp.sys.att] Single User Mode

tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) (05/08/89)

In article <1762@gbmatl.UUCP> Gary Mckenney writes:

>I do have difficulty setting my machine to single user mode.
>>From the documentation the recommended way to do this is to type "init s".

>On my machine this will successfully reboot the machine eventually but never
>to quite make it into single user mode.

>Any suggestions are appreciated.

>gbm

Init s doesn't work because I don't recall an entry in inittab devoted
to the init state "s".

I added a line for init 1 to my inittab:

 su:1:respawn:/etc/getty window 9600

and typing init 1 from the shell prompt invokes it.

This works for version 3.5 & 3.51, I've used it on both.

I did keep the 'space in the first column' format, but I have
never seen any other version of Unix have this format, and
from the various comments on the net, I gather it isn't totally necessary.

Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz@adds.newyork.ncr.com

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788