[comp.sys.att] formatting a Maxtor 1140

marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) (05/08/89)

A friend is about to install a Maxtor 1140 (140 meg, 15 heads, ~28ms)
on his Unix-Pc (which has been upgraded to 5.1).

However, owing to the drive's prior history, we must do a low level
physical format. (Which cannot be done with the Diagnostic Disk,
apparently??)

So the main question is:
    What is the appropriate interleave?

Stacy (marsella@aramis.rutgers.edu)

smikes@hound.UUCP (S.MIKES) (05/10/89)

In article <May.7.14.46.34.1989.26277@athos.rutgers.edu>, marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) writes:

> A friend is about to install a Maxtor 1140 (140 meg, 15 heads, ~28ms)
> on his Unix-Pc (which has been upgraded to 5.1).
>
>     What is the appropriate interleave?

Stacy,

You should try interleave 1:1 or 2:1, probably 2:1 will work better.
In case you don't yet know, your friend's machine will not properly
utilize the Maxtor 1140, unless it has first received the motherboard
modifications so that it will recognize heads 8-15 and cylinders beyond
1024.

Steve