[comp.sys.att] unplugging the keyboard

cjc@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[mav]) (05/10/89)

In article <19@oink.UUCP>, jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:
| In article <1083@adds.newyork.NCR.COM> tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) writes:
| >Last weekend must have been damage the pc weekend, because I too created
| >havoc by disconnecting the keyboard.  I was just supposed to be for
| >a second, the phone rang just as I did this and sent my computer
| >into never-never land.  Had to reboot! Ugh!
|
| I've had this happen accidentally.  I can usually recover by plugging the
| keyboard back in and pushing many buttons until the computer and keyboard
| are back in sync.  Even when you can recover, this can make a mess in an
| editor.  Don't intentionally unplug your keyboard, but if it does happen,
| you might want to try my crazy method.  I make no claims as to the suit-
| ability of this method for your use.  i.e. Do this at your own risk.  It
| has worked for me, but might not work for you.  In general, devices of this
| type shouldn't be connected or disconnected while the power is on.

If I remember my net.history, Tanya has a 3b1 which does, indeed, barf
when you unplug the keyboard.  No ammount of fiddling will help, since
the device driver for the keyboard will simply freeze if it loses its
precious signals from the keyboard.

Of course, there are other machines which allow you to unplug the keyboard
more readily.  On my machine at work (a Sun 3/60), unplugging the keyboard
results in random keyboard state (what keys are considered down, including
CAPS, etc) upon replugging, but hitting the L1 key will reset all states
to the default (no CAPS, all keys up).
--
Name:			Christopher J. Calabrese
Brain loaned to:	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/10/89)

In article <11510@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> cjc@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[mav]) writes:
>If I remember my net.history, Tanya has a 3b1 which does, indeed, barf
>when you unplug the keyboard.  No ammount of fiddling will help, since
>the device driver for the keyboard will simply freeze if it loses its
>precious signals from the keyboard.

I _know_ that I can recover on _my_ 3B1.  I also have a 7300.  I forget how
well it tolerates unplugging and plugging the keyboard.

After plugging it back in, remember to type much junk.
--
Jim Prior    jep@oink    osu-cis!n8emr!oink!jep    N8KSM

tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) (05/11/89)

Hello again,

First: thanks to those who suggested ESC ? in the ksh.  I will remember to
use this instead of $_.

In  <11510@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> Christopher J. Calabrese writes:
>If I remember my net.history, Tanya has a 3b1 which does, indeed, barf
>when you unplug the keyboard.  No ammount of fiddling will help, since
>the device driver for the keyboard will simply freeze if it loses its
>precious signals from the keyboard.

Yeah, that was a 3b1...

>Of course, there are other machines which allow you to unplug the keyboard
>more readily.  On my machine at work (a Sun 3/60), unplugging the keyboard
>results in random keyboard state (what keys are considered down, including
>CAPS, etc) upon replugging, but hitting the L1 key will reset all states
>to the default (no CAPS, all keys up).

We have the Towers here at ADDS, and I just unplugged the keyboard while
editing this.  Replug it in, and continue typing.

Just for the record, I (we) have BOTH the 7300/20mg and 3b1/40mg.
I was able to upgrade to the 40mg when a nearby company discontinued
their Unix development and sold their used machines (cheap!).
I could blame this on my kids, but I'm the computer junkie...
Anyway, one machine will be leaving for college in the fall.

I have both 3.5 and 3.51 software. The 7300 is running with the
3.5.1.2 custom kernel.  Anyone know what version/permutation that is?

BTW, the kid will be taking my printer, too, so I was thinking of getting
a Panasonic KX-P1124, it is on sale for $325.  Some net-users have said
they are good printers and that the epson driver works fine with it.

Anyone have any recommendations?   < $500 :-)

Thanks again to all who helped!

	Tanya