[comp.sys.att] 3b1 swap space

jb@koko.UUCP (John Birchfield) (03/15/89)

How much swap space is provided as a default on the PC7300 (3b1)?
I have a 3b1 with 2 megs of memory (around 1.7 meg available) and
a 67 meg hard disk.  I wrote a program to allocate memory until it
failed and it managed to suck up around 2.3 megs before malloc failed.
It seems to me I should be able to do a little better than that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to find any
documentation on the swap device.
Thanks in advance...

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (03/16/89)

In article <914@koko.UUCP> jb@koko.UUCP (John Birchfield) writes:
"How much swap space is provided as a default on the PC7300 (3b1)?
[]
"Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to find any
"documentation on the swap device.
"Thanks in advance...

try
iv -tv /dev/rfp000

partition 1 is the swap partition; the usual sizes are 4000 blocks for
single-user selection and 5000 blocks for multi-user.
you can make it any size you want.  we have a machine here with an
8000 block swap space.  it didn't seem to improve anything...
--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Null Fu-Tze		|		LEARN HOW TO AVOID RIPOFFS!	       |

alex@otter.UMBC.EDU (alex) (03/17/89)

In article <914@koko.UUCP>, jb@koko.UUCP (John Birchfield) writes:

> How much swap space is provided as a default on the PC7300 (3b1)?
> I have a 3b1 with 2 megs of memory (around 1.7 meg available) and
> a 67 meg hard disk.  I wrote a program to allocate memory until it
> failed and it managed to suck up around 2.3 megs before malloc failed.
> It seems to me I should be able to do a little better than that.

	Well, no actually. The 2.3 megs is limited by the process memory map,
which only knows about the (virtual) addresses between 0x80000 and 0x300000.
processes live in virtual memory, which is mapped like this:

	     0	->  80000	Kernal
	 80000	-> 300000	Process user space
	300000	-> 380000	Shared library space
	380000	-> 400000	Dynamic Kernal space

All processes live in a world like the one above, and the kernal keeps the
worlds from conflicting. Although a process doesn't have to use all of the
space allocated to it (unused pages don't exist, sortof.), Multiple copies
of the VM map exist, and thats what the swap spacve is for.

	Malloc stops at 2.3 meg because the user world reserves 100K or so
for stack space. (2ef000 comes to mind as an upper limit, but I'm not sure)

					:alex
Alex Crain
Systems Programmer			alex@umbc3.umbc.edu
Univ Md Baltimore County		nerwin!alex@umbc3.umbc.edu

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (03/17/89)

In article <914@koko.UUCP> jb@koko.UUCP (John Birchfield) writes:
>How much swap space is provided as a default on the PC7300 (3b1)?
>I have a 3b1 with 2 megs of memory (around 1.7 meg available) and
>a 67 meg hard disk.  I wrote a program to allocate memory until it
>failed and it managed to suck up around 2.3 megs before malloc failed.
>It seems to me I should be able to do a little better than that.

That 2.3 megs amount represents the address space limitation of the
Unix PC - The total of text, data, and stack segments can not exceed
2.5Meg.  This is because only addresses 0x80000 - 0x300000 are
available for normal use.  The shared library text and data areas
are separate from and in addition to that 2.5M amount.

Between your text segment and your stack, you probably have about
2.3 Meg of mallocable memory left, so your results seem quite
reasonable.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.commodore.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (03/19/89)

In article <4891@cbnews.ATT.COM> mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) writes:
~iv -tv /dev/rfp000

I tried this and got:

Cylinder  167, Track  2, Sector 16, uses Track  2, Sector 16 as Alternate.
Cylinder  149, Track  4, Sector 16, uses Track  4, Sector 16 as Alternate.
Cylinder  306, Track  5, Sector 16, uses Track  5, Sector 16 as Alternate.
Cylinder  150, Track  6, Sector 16, uses Track  6, Sector 16 as Alternate.
Cylinder  696, Track  6, Sector 16, uses Track  6, Sector 16 as Alternate.
				^^???			  ^^???

What does this mean?

--
-Todd Day-
Internet: todd%ivucsb.UUCP@anise.acc.com

richm@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (richard.a.miani) (05/22/89)

Hi,

I have a 3b1 with a 40 meg drive and 2 meg of core . Does anyone know a
way to reconfigure the disk in place so that the swap space is different ?

On other UNIX's it is easy, but the 3b1 kernel "panic"s when I try.  I don't
want to have to back up the disk and then reformat it !!!

I will summarize any results I get and post later. Please reply via email.
Thanks in advance ...

Rich
-------

Rich Miani					ram%lcuxlf@research.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories				ram@lcuxlf.att.com
Liberty Corner, New Jersey                      arpa!lcuxlf!ram