[comp.sys.att] AT&T 6300+ add-in disk problem!

wilson@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Samuel Wilson) (05/23/89)

Ahem.  This friend of mine...  has an AT&T 6300+ with an extremely
awkward disk configuration: it has a Western Dig.  WX1002 controller
(i.e. an 8-bit card), a miniscribe 40 meg drive, and DiskManager
software.  Under AT&T DOS 3.2 the performance is *terrible* -- about
.5 the speed of an IBM-XT according to Norton SI v.4.  The disk is
fast enough, and the computer is fast enough, but the controller card
/ Diskmanager software / DOS version / ROM version software is a
disaster.

What can I (I mean, he) do?  I don't care if the disk is partitioned
into several drives, but I need more speed.  What is AT&T's solution
to this?  Is there another disk controller card, or is the controller
built into the motherboard?  If so, how does one tell it what kind of
disk one has?

[ps. without Diskmanager things are no faster;  under AT&T DOS
3.1 things are no (?) faster]

Thanks,
Sam Wilson
    wilson@cunixc.cc.columbia.bitnet
                             .edu

gpw@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (george.p.wilkin) (05/25/89)

From article <1537@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, by wilson@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Samuel Wilson):
> Ahem.  This friend of mine...  has an AT&T 6300+ with an extremely
> awkward disk configuration: it has a Western Dig.  WX1002 controller
> (i.e. an 8-bit card), a miniscribe 40 meg drive, and DiskManager
> software.  Under AT&T DOS 3.2 the performance is *terrible* -- about
> .5 the speed of an IBM-XT according to Norton SI v.4.  The disk is
> fast enough, and the computer is fast enough, but the controller card
> / Diskmanager software / DOS version / ROM version software is a disaster.

DO YOU(er I mean your friend) HAVE THE CORRECT DISK INTERLEAVE

I have found this to be sooo far off befor that you would do well to check it.

How do I do this??   Spinwrite or the mace utilities Hoptimum will do it
for you......   YOU WILL HAVE TO BACK UP DATA FIRST....

Interleave on 6300s with 40 megers has been in the 4-7 range.  A plus
could  go as low as a 2 interleave.     DON'T assume someone did this
for you.  If you must use external rom code also consider a program
called RAMIT, it takes the romed code and caches it into ram on the motherboard
improving performance greatly..

george

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (05/25/89)

In article <982@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, gpw@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (george.p.wilkin) writes:
> From article <1537@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, by wilson@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Samuel Wilson):
> > Ahem.  This friend of mine...  has an AT&T 6300+ with an extremely
[ Poor disk performance [

> DO YOU(er I mean your friend) HAVE THE CORRECT DISK INTERLEAVE
>
> I have found this to be sooo far off befor that you would do well to check it.
>
> How do I do this??   Spinwrite or the mace utilities Hoptimum will do it
> for you......   YOU WILL HAVE TO BACK UP DATA FIRST....

Good suggestion George - one correction.  Spin-write (I don't know
about the others) will reformat a disk in place without requiring
a backup.  Of course, backups are a good idea, and I know one person
who trashed their disk using Spin-Write, but it was worked great for
me.  The difference between the correct interleave and one too small
is dramatic.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.

pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (05/25/89)

In article <1537@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> wilson@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Samuel Wilson) writes:

>Under AT&T DOS 3.2 the performance is *terrible* -- about
>.5 the speed of an IBM-XT according to Norton SI v.4.  The disk is
>fast enough, and the computer is fast enough, but the controller card
>/ Diskmanager software / DOS version / ROM version software is a
>disaster.

The answer is simple, disable the ROM on the WD controller (I believe
it's W3, go to the internal hard disk bios table on the motherboard
(there's a dip switch -- I don't know which one, I'm running a 6300)
and reformat the disk using dos and fdisk to partition.  I doubled my
disk speed on the 6300.  The interleave should be somewhere between 3 and
6 on the 6300 plus to get the maximum speed.

There's supposed to be a 16 bit Olivetti disk controler card for the
M24 and  M25 but AT&T didn't use it in the states.  I'd kill for one.

My 6300 with V30 runs with interleave of 3 (after using qfresh to
cut the refresh time down).  I get 135kb data transfer rate
-- 85 was the best I could do on the WD rom.  It's not the rom, however.
The 6300 runs the bus at 4mhz.  I think the 6300 plus does the same.
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

gopstein@soleil.UUCP (Rich Gopstein) (05/26/89)

I have found that I can only go as low as a 5:1 interleave with my 6300.
That's horrible!  I only get about 85KB/sec xfer rate which is pathetic.
I'm using a WD XT-GEN controller, but the default DTC controller was no
better.  I guess the I/O on a 6300 is WORSE than an IBM XT...

I used the SPINTEST demo program available on SIMTEL-20 and the HDTEST program
to determine the above.  You might try the same.

--
Rich Gopstein

..!rutgers!soleil!gopstein

jaf@druwy.ATT.COM (John A. Frieman) (05/26/89)

> I have found that I can only go as low as a 5:1 interleave with my 6300.
> That's horrible!  I only get about 85KB/sec xfer rate which is pathetic.
> I'm using a WD XT-GEN controller, but the default DTC controller was no
> better.  I guess the I/O on a 6300 is WORSE than an IBM XT...
>
> I used the SPINTEST demo program available on SIMTEL-20 and the HDTEST program
> to determine the above.  You might try the same.
>
> Rich Gopstein

I have a 6300+ at home and another here at the Lab, both run with an
interleave of 3:1.  Both have WD controllers and 20 Meg. drives (1 ST-225
and 1 Olivetti both rated at 65 MS seek times).  It's been a while since I
ran any disk benchmarks but a transfer rate in the 300-400 kb/sec seems about
right.  The 6300+ has a DMA accelerator for hard disk access.  The design for
this is published by INTEL with the DMA chip spec., but I haven't seen it used
by anyone else.

Once you sort out the interleave you might find a copy of QFRESH on a local
BBS.  This little (15 bytes) gem reduces the number of DRAM refreshs to a
workable level.  My system picked up 8% on a memory intensive program with
QFRESH in the autoexec.bat.

Enjoy,
John A. Frieman, AGS Info Srv, @AT&T Bell Labs, Denver
#include <std.disclaimer>