[comp.sys.att] Looking for a FORTRAN compiler for the 3B1

dab@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Dave Bozak) (05/23/89)

Hi,

	I'm looking for advice.  A colleague wants to get a FORTRAN compiler
for his 3B1.  TRC sells two of them, both the same price:

	LPI FORTRAN  and RM FORTRAN

So, who has experience with these?  Which is the better product?
Are there other, better FORTRAN compilers available for the machine?
Is TRC the best (read that most cost effective) place to get this product?

Thanks in advance for the help

-dave bozak
 dab@rocky.oswego.edu

jeffrey@ccnysci.UUCP (Jeffrey L Bromberger) (05/30/89)

In article <1250@oswego.Oswego.EDU> dab@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Dave Bozak) writes:
>	I'm looking for advice.  A colleague wants to get a FORTRAN compiler
>for his 3B1.  TRC sells two of them, both the same price:
>
>	LPI FORTRAN  and RM FORTRAN
>
>So, who has experience with these?  Which is the better product?
>Are there other, better FORTRAN compilers available for the machine?

Perhaps a better question is:
	Will any of these allow linking f77 code to C code (the way
Berkeley's f77/C compilers do)?  How about gcc linking to the f77
stuff?

Reason: We use the NCAR graphic system here at CCNY and would like to
port it over to some of our 3B1's, but it uses f77 calls mixed in with
a lot of C (the whole foundation of the package).  The Fortran would
be pretty much useless if it was unable to be co-compiled with C.  I
believe (I am not totally sure) that LPI Fortran is a standalone
package with no ability to bind to C.  I have "gleaned" this from a
professor who used it for a while.
--
Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility