[comp.sys.att] Bootable Floppy for 3B2/700

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (07/01/89)

We've been running nicely on an AT&T 3B2/700.  Unfortunately, we bought the
machine from AT&T after using it on their evaluation plan.  They had already
installed UNIX, and seem to be completely unable (unwilling) to provide the
original UNIX installation diskettes.

Is there any way I can create a "bootable" floppy so that if my hard disks
crash, I can restore from a backup after replacing the hard drive and booting
from floppy?
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (07/05/89)

In article <328@msa3b.UUCP>, kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
> We've been running nicely on an AT&T 3B2/700.  Unfortunately, we bought the
> machine from AT&T after using it on their evaluation plan.  They had already
> installed UNIX, and seem to be completely unable (unwilling) to provide the
> original UNIX installation diskettes.
>
> Is there any way I can create a "bootable" floppy so that if my hard disks
> crash, I can restore from a backup after replacing the hard drive and booting
> from floppy?
> --
> Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
> gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

First, I think that you definitely need to persue the issue with AT&T
over obtaining the UNIX(tm) for your 3B2/700.  The os is distributed on a
SCSI tape for the 3B2/700.  You can boot your 3B2/700 using this tape and
go into the perverbial "magic mode" in order to do any emergency maintenance.

Now, if you wish to make a bootable floppy, what you will need to do is first
take a look at /dev/rdsk/c0d0s? and compare these with your root drive on
the 700.  You can use the /etc/prtvtoc command in order to get the volume
table of contents for your root drive.  Now the boot cylinder is c0d0s7
and using the newboot(1M) or dd(1M) commands you can write the Olboot/lboot
and mboot files onto the boot cylinder.  I cannot recall which one of the
Olboot/lboot files should be written to the disk, I believe one is for the
hard disk and the other is for use on a floppy disk.  BTW, these files are
found in /lib.

You will also need to put a copy of the UNIX(tm) kernel in the root
c0d0s0 partition of the diskette.  You can probably temporarily re-tune
your current kernel on the 700 to make it smaller so it will fit on the
diskette.  Next you will need to copy any other required tables and
programs on the 700 to the root partition on the diskette.  Don't forget
such things like init, inittab, and a few required devices.

Good luck.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (07/05/89)

In article <328@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

> Is there any way I can create a "bootable" floppy so that if my hard disks
> crash, I can restore from a backup after replacing the hard drive and booting
> from floppy?

You should be able to do this with 'sysadm', or perhaps mkboot,
though I've always dd'd the original, and then mucked with the
files on it.

Now, how to I make a bootable CTC tape?  I've put a filesystem on
a tape, but I can't seem to find a boot programme, nor exactly how
(where) to put it on the tape.  I admit it was quit late, but TFM
didn't help either.  The other options seem to be to reload the 6
essentials, plus the CTC driver, then restore; or build a boot
floppy with a kernel that includes the CTC driver.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario CANADA

In article <276@tcsc3b2.UUCP> pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) writes:

>Now, if you wish to make a bootable floppy, what you will need to do is first
>take a look at /dev/rdsk/c0d0s? and compare these with your root drive on
>the 700.

I'd like to do this for the 3B2/400 & 6386 machines since they can't be
booted from the tape device and it's no fun loading the core pack and
tape drivers from floppies just to be able to restore your backup tapes
(and I've had to do that ...).

Can anyone give the exact procedure to make a bootable floppy that has
the tape driver installed (network drivers would be nice too, but that
probably wouldn't fit on the floppy)?

Les Mikesell