[comp.sys.att] 3b1 Streaming Tape

tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) (07/12/89)

In article <1989Jul11.024334.28211@hybrid.UUCP> Mark Dapoz writes:

>I finally had to use the 3B1 streaming tape to restore a complete section of
>my file system.  I've used it to restore single files before but for some

...[stuff deleted]

How is the performance of the streaming tape drive?
How much does this thing go for?

I would love to own one, but it probably is too expensive!

Just the thought of backups without zillions of floppies gives me
the chills!

	Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
   #   #  #     # #     # #
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz@adds.newyork.ncr.com
  #     # ######  ######   #####

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (07/14/89)

In article <1120@adds.newyork.NCR.COM> tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) writes:
>In article <1989Jul11.024334.28211@hybrid.UUCP> Mark Dapoz writes:
>
>>I finally had to use the 3B1 streaming tape to restore a complete section of
>>my file system.  I've used it to restore single files before but for some
>
>...[stuff deleted]
>
>How is the performance of the streaming tape drive?

Pretty bad if you ask me.  Considering the damn thing only gets 23 MB of data
on a DC600A cartridge and you have to spend 30 min formatting the tape before
you can even use it, I'll take a standard QIC-24 unit over this thing any day.
I suppose it's better than backing up to floppies, but not by much.  The tape
utilities provided by AT&T also leave a lot to be desired.  As far as transfer
speed, I guess it's ok but it still takes over 30 min to backup 60 meg of data.

>How much does this thing go for?

Too much!!!!  I got mine as a package deal with the machine when I bought it
used.  I don't think anyone could seriously consider paying what AT&T wants
for the thing (something insane like $2000).

>I would love to own one, but it probably is too expensive!

Yep, you got that right.

>Just the thought of backups without zillions of floppies gives me
>the chills!

Have you considered adding a 3.5" drive to your machine?  It's rather simple to
add and will cut the number of floppies in half.

--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!{mnetor,dptcdc}!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (07/17/89)

writes:

|>How is the performance of the streaming tape drive?
Very slow ... and only 23MB per tape... a big waste since I'm using the
same DC600A tapes for my 135MB tape drive on my 6386E WGS in the office.

|>How much does this thing go for?

Too much ...  They are anywhere from $1,300 to $1,800 bucks ... I have
a controller board for a tape drive but no drive itself.  The driver
mechanism is made by Cipher, it's the Model 525.   I haven't really
looked too hard, but I'm sure I can get a Cipher Model 525 tape drive
somewhere ...

Just recently AT&T replaced a customers tape drive with a Tecmar tape
mechanism.  I'm unsure of the model, anyone know of a Tecmar tape
drive that is compatible with the floppy-tape controller for the 3B1?

|>I would love to own one, but it probably is too expensive!

So would I ... but it is too expensive!

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576