[comp.sys.att] UnixPC hardware problems

roger@banzai.UUCP (Roger Florkowski) (08/02/89)

I have a problem with my 3b1 that only happens when I first turn it on.
The problem is that I only get a screen full of horizontal bars.
The only way I can get the machine going is to give it a 'jump start'.
I have to turn it off, thump it on the table, and turn it back on
again.  This happens everytime the machine has been physically turned
off.

History
-------
My machine is a 3b1, 2 Meg ram, 67 meg Miniscribe.

The first motherboard died.  I had it fixed by AT&T in CA.
The power supply died.  I had it fixed by AT&T in CA.

The second motherboard had a problem where the machine would just
lock-up and stop.  No error messages.  Nothing in /usr/adm.  The
screen was frozen with the last thing that it was doing.  If I hit
reset (or turned it off, and back on), I would get the all too familiar
horizontal bars.  The machine would not come up unless I thumped
it on the table.  This whole scene finally got up to a frequency of
5 crashes per day.

I replaced motherboard #2 with one from another "known-working" 3b1.
This motherboard (now we are on number 3), was also repaired once
by AT&T while it was in it's previous 3b1 body.  This motherboard
worked great for about 4 months.  It didn't crash, and I had
no problem turning the machine on and off.  Now I canno longer successfully
turn the on and off.  I get the horizontal bars every time I turn it on.

Help!!??
--------
I'm stumped.  I've looked at the inside of this machine so many times
I can almost rattle off part numbers from memory.  Does anyone have
any suggestions?  It sounds like I have a bad connection (since I have
to bang the machine to get it started).

--
Roger Florkowski	       		{uunet!uvm-gen, attmail}!banzai!roger
The People's Computer Company			  `Revolutionary Programming'

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders) (08/02/89)

In article <1291@banzai.UUCP> roger@banzai.UUCP (Roger Florkowski) writes:

>I have a problem with my 3b1 that only happens when I first turn it on.
>The problem is that I only get a screen full of horizontal bars.
>The only way I can get the machine going is to give it a 'jump start'.
>I have to turn it off, thump it on the table, and turn it back on
>again.  This happens everytime the machine has been physically turned
>off.

I had the same problem with my machine. Since my machine stays on
almost all the time it did bother me to much.. When I would
rearrange my radio/computer room and shut the system down, I would have
to power cycle a couple of times to get the picture in straight.
To solve the problem is easy... All you need to do is take out
two screws on the back on the monitor case.
NOTE: TURN OFF THE POWER BEFORE TAKING THE CASE OFF.. lots of
hungry little volts running around in the monitor...
YOu will find 4 or 5 variable resistors, little flat wheels
mounted on the very back of the monitor.
note the position of each pot. NOw rotate the pot a full turn each direction
and return it to its orginal position. repeate for each pot..
put the case back on and your problem should have gone away.

--
Gary W. Sanders (gws@n8emr or ...!osu-cis!n8emr!gws), 72277,1325
N8EMR @ W8CQK (ip addr) 44.70.0.1 [Ohio AMPR address coordinator]