[comp.sys.att] AT&T Software BBS Number

jls2@well.UUCP (Jeff L. Stoner) (08/04/89)

I have run across mentions in the past of a BBS (or several) that AT&T
places internal software on that they don't market. For example, I
understand that the C++ compiler they developed was such a beast, until
their recent announcement to market it as a supported product.

What I'm looking for is the phone number(s) and login instructions.
I seem to remember seeing a number in a posting a few months back, but
I can't figure out where I put the $%#^!!! thing!

Please e-mail the information to me at the address below. I WILL POST
WHATEVER INFO I GET IN A FEW WEEKS, after I've verified it. Please, no
deluge of mail or followup postings of "I want it too!"... I'll post
whatever I find that's accurate.

I would even appreciate any tips that could lead me in the right direction,
like who/where to call at AT&T for the info.

My 3B2 and 6386E at work thank you...

--
 \ ====== Jeff L. Stoner === Boulder, Colo. ========= /\ = /\ ========== |
  \         Usenet: jls2 @ well.sf.ca.us         /\  /  \ /  /\  /\    --*--

john@banzai.UUCP (John Canning) (08/07/89)

In article <12996@well.UUCP> jls2@well.UUCP (Jeff L. Stoner) writes:
>I have run across mentions in the past of a BBS (or several) that AT&T
>places internal software on that they don't market. For example, I
>understand that the C++ compiler they developed was such a beast, until
>their recent announcement to market it as a supported product.

I think Jeff is looking for the AT&T Toolchest.  With a modem, you can
contact it at 201-522-6900, and log in as guest.  If you want to talk
with a human about the Toolchest, call 201-522-6698.

Software prices range from almost free to several thousand dollars ($3000
for the source to the latest korn shell).  If you wish to distribute the
executables, then there is a higher price (for the korn shell, its $20,000).

Yes, C++ has been pulled from the Toolchest, as it is now available through
other sources.

Befure you can purchase anything from the Toolchest, you need to sign
a licensing agreement with them.

dklann@heurikon.UUCP (David Klann) (08/08/89)

In article <12996@well.UUCP> jls2@well.UUCP (Jeff L. Stoner) writes:
>I have run across mentions in the past of a BBS (or several) that AT&T
>places internal software on that they don't market. For example, I
>understand that the C++ compiler they developed was such a beast, until
>their recent announcement to market it as a supported product.
>
>What I'm looking for is the phone number(s) and login instructions.

I'm sure this has been posted many, many times, but for the benefit of
new readers (from the 1986 brochure):

	The AT&T UNIX(R) System Toolchest can be reached at 201-522-6900.
	This is a 1200bps data call.  Log in as "guest" when prompted.

	The software is not free, OR public domain.  It is simply
	unsupported software that AT&T choses to make available in source
	code form.  There is a one-time $100.00 registration fee (waived
	for UNIX(R) System V source code licensees).

	Once you are registered, software is delivered via UUCP to your system.

	The fees shown for the packages do not include telephone connect
	time charges, or state sales tax both of which AT&T adds to the bill
	for you.

Good luck!

David Klann
Heurikon Corporation