[comp.sys.att] UNIX PC questions...

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/17/87)

I am also interested in one of the 7300 or 3B1 systems "on sale",
particularly with where I can buy one.

I called up AT&T, who promised to get back to me, but they haven't
yet, after 2 weeks, and two people trying.

dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (07/19/87)

In article <31200001@ccvaxa>, aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
> I am also interested in one of the 7300 or 3B1 systems "on sale",
> particularly with where I can buy one.
>
> I called up AT&T, who promised to get back to me, but they haven't
> yet, after 2 weeks, and two people trying.

We purchased 3 systems from Avnet here in Santa Clara -- if you are a
wheeler-dealer you should be able to get the price down even lower
than the current silliness.  Avnet is nation-wide.  The number here in
Santa Clara is (408) 986-8062 --- they should be able to give you the
number of a distributor near you.

I have no affiliation with Avnet or AT&T other than being a satisfied
customer.

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corporation	       {sun,amdcad,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those	     BUSINESS

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (07/19/87)

In article <31200001@ccvaxa> aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

>I am also interested in one of the 7300 or 3B1 systems "on sale",
>particularly with where I can buy one.
>
>I called up AT&T, who promised to get back to me, but they haven't
>yet, after 2 weeks, and two people trying.

Here's what I put out to friends in my company about a month
ago.  Some of this has been posted here before, but I think there's
still enough interest out there from people who didn't see the earlier
postings to justify posting this.

----

There is a fantasic sale being put on by AT&T on the PC7300
and 3B1.  The machines are almost identical except that
the 3B1 has a slightly taller case and comes with a faster,
quieter, and larger (67 meg) hard disk.  These babies run
Unix system V release 2 (or very close to release 2) using
an 68010 running at 10 mhz with no wait states.  They come
with an internal 1200 baud modem.  The unix that you get with
it comes enhanced with a "friendly" front end where you
select things using a mouse and windows and menus.  The monitor
(it's part of the unit) is monochrome and supports 720x348
pixels.  Besides the modem (which doesn't use up a serial port
because it's connected to your phone via a standard modular
socket) there is one serial and one parallel port.  There are
3 slots for expansion boards.  Available expansion boards
include a MSDOS (8086) board, extra memory and extra serial
port boards, and some kind of "SSI 3270 SNA" (I think) board.
Besides the standard unix and utilities there are business
software packages available (spreadsheets, graphics, database,
word processing, cobol, pascal, etc) from AT&T.  ATT says
that the PC7300 will support upto 3 users and the 3B1 will
support up to 5 users.

90 day warranty from ATT.  Very nice unit.  The current going prices
are approximately 20% of list price.

I suspect that this sale is going to sell the last of the PC7300's
and 3B1's.  Word has it that the original manufacturer (Convergent
Technologies) and AT&T are both dropping this line of computers.

I don't know how long AT&T and/or Convergent Technologies will
continue to support these units.  But there is a network of
users who exchange info via netnews (USENET) which they run
on their own PC7300s and 3B1s.

Parts are supposed to be available from Convergent Technologies for
another 5 years.  After 5 years, there should be enough units on the
used market to provide for any needed parts.

Cheapest known vendor for 3B1:

	Elek-Tek, Inc.		(312) 677-7660
	6557 North Lincoln Av.
	Lincolnwood IL 60645

	RAM (MB)	Hard Disk (MB)		Price ($)
	1		40			1250
	2		40			1395
	2		67			1550

None of these include the UNIX Operating System, which they are
selling for $210, nor the UNIX Utilities.

----
Other vendors:

Adelphi Computers (Conway Jones) 415-530-3411

Media Software Systems in Aurora, Ill. 800-548-9618 (Greg Oij (OY))

Avnet Comp. Tech. 617-935-4680 (John Hilton)

AT&T employee sale 800-527-6888

	They usually only take calls between 10:00 and 14:00 or so
	Eastern time.  Calling outside of those hours should get you
	a recording which will tell you the correct hours for calling.

	They don't seem to care if you're really an employee or not
	(as far as the PC7300/3B1's are concerened anyway) and they'll
	take credit card orders.

--
Marnix (ain't unix!) A.  van\ Ammers	Work: (415) 545-8334
Home: (707) 644-9781			CEO: MAVANAMMERS:UNIX

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (07/21/87)

In article <31200001@ccvaxa> aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

>I am also interested in one of the 7300 or 3B1 systems "on sale",
>particularly with where I can buy one.
>
>I called up AT&T, who promised to get back to me, but they haven't
>yet, after 2 weeks, and two people trying.

Try :
MTI Systems Corp.
38 Harbor Park Drive
Port Washington, NY  11050
800-645-6530

dxxb@beta.lanl.gov (David W. Barts) (05/23/89)

Hello there,

	I have been thinking of getting an AT&T UNIX PC (for my
own personal use) for some time now.  I saw an ad in UNIX WORLD
about a place called TRC (Technology Resource Center) in L.A.

	I have an few questions:

	1.  Anyone had any experiences (positive or negative)
	    with this company?

	2.  Any other companies that accept non-local orders for
	    the UNIX pc?  (I live in a remote area - nothing other
	    than a PC available locally.)

	3.  Software to buy - TRC's ad had a number of packages listed.
	    As a minimum I'd want the full UNIX - C compiler, nroff,
	    awk, all standard utilities.  My guess is that purchasing
	    `UNIX System V Release 3.51' and `UNIX Utilities 3.51' would
	    provide this; correct me if I am wrong.

The ad says the system is 10MHZ 68010 based.  Prices thay give are about
$1900 for a system with a 40Mb hard disk, $2400 for 60Mb.  I realize that
this is no longer considered state-of-the-art, but I don't have the $$$
for the latest AT&T, Sun, or NeXT box :-(.

Reply directly to me and I will summarize to the net in a few weeks.

David W. Barts, Ph. 509-376-1718 (FTS 444-1718), dxxb@beta.lanl.GOV

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (05/25/89)

I bought my Unix PC from Technology Resorce Center in October of
1987.  I got the 2meg / 67 meg model and the Unix + Utilities.  The
whole tab came to ~$2150; the machine being $1500 and %650 for the
software.

They were willing to ship COD with no additional fee and instruct
UPS to accept a personal check.  This proved quite handy, as it
obviated the need to go to the bank for a special money order.

The TRC mahcines are drop shipped from a company named Elite Data
Systems, which is another comany in California.  I was somewhat
surpirsed when I received a bill for $2150 from Elite Data Systems
in March of 1988m, but one phone call was all that was necessary to
straighten out the situation.

There is a person at TRC named Ellis Goldberg who is reasonably
knowledgeable about the Unix PC and can help you get the pieces
that you want to get a reasonable system for your application.

There are threee caviats:  1.  TRC proved somewhat slow; about
1-1/2 months elasped between placing and receiving my order.  They
blamed it on a short supply of 67 meg machines and having misplaced
the paperwork for my machine on one occasion.  2.  There was some
lack of communication between TRC and EDS which resulted in me
being billed twice; though this was *very* quickly resolved.  3.
TRCs prices for everything other than the Unix PC aren't very
competitive.

The advantage is that they are willing to set up a minimum-hassle
COD delivery.  I really do believe that UPS takes better care of
COD orders, as they know that if your item arrives smashed-up that
you probably aren't going to take delivery.

I guess that about says it all.

Bill
wtm@impulse.UUCP

rk@bigbroth.UUCP (rohan kelley) (05/28/89)

In article <1645@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> I bought my Unix PC from Technology Resorce Center in October of
> 1987.  I got the 2meg / 67 meg model and the Unix + Utilities.  The
> whole tab came to ~$2150; the machine being $1500 and %650 for the
> software.

Let me add my observations re dealing with TRC.

If you're interested in mail order DOS & friends software, hardware,
etc. buy computer shopper and shop for the lowest price.  However,
there is virtually nobody who speaks unix whom you can buy from at a
discount.  I used to think that their was no such word as discount in
the unix language.

TRC is an exception.  I bought a 2meg/67meg unixpc from them and
recently bought their own OEM equivalent of the Bell Tech MPE - 386/25,
389meg disk, 4 meg memory, etc.  Their prices are the best around if
you want unix stuff and they shipped promptly to me on both occasions.
Ellis Goldberg, the fellow in charge, is knowledgable in unix and works
hard to give good service and keep his prices rock bottom.  Look at
their latest ad in Unix World.  No mail order house that works on
minimum margins can give you the service and support you expect (but
often don't get) from the local BIG-COMPUTER-STORE.  If you don't need
a lot of support and are satisfied to work with the manufacturer's
warranty, go with TRC.  Also, they just told me that on their 386
machines, they can now arrange on-location service through intel who
manufacturers their OEM 386 box.

Bill Mayhew mentioned a connection with Elite which had dropshipped his
hardware and there had been some confusion.  I happen to know that TRC
no longer has any connnection with Elite.

Rohan Kelley -- UNIleX Systems, Inc. (Systems and software for lawyers)
UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!bigbroth!rk (office)
                                   novavax!mdlbrotr!rk (home)
ATTmail:  attmail!bigbroth!rk
3365 Galt Ocean Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 Phone: (305) 563-1504

"Go first class or your heirs will" -somebodyelse

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty H. Hodge) (05/31/89)

In article <1645@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> I really do believe that UPS takes better care of
> COD orders, as they know that if your item arrives smashed-up that
> you probably aren't going to take delivery.

FYI, I recently sold my spare Unix PC to someone in Ohio, and COD'ed it to
him.  UPS really munged it up.  Killed the Hard Disk and yanked the CRT
yoke out of adjustment.

Of course, it was insured.  (Worth the extra $4)  And they were reasonable
good about getting us a check for the damage caused to it...

rouilj@umb.umb.edu (John P. Rouillard) (07/15/89)

Just a few questions on the unix-pc:

1)  Does anybody have inittab entries for init level 1. Single user
    mode. I don't relly care if the windowing system is running or not.

2) If phtoggle doen't work to start and stop a getty (unix 3.5 sigh)
   on a phone line, is there another way of doing it that will update
   the status line so that people can see that they are not going to
   be getting any calls?

3) I have created /etc/issue and am tyring to get the text in that
   file to show up on the screen with the getty prompt.
   Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work. Has AT&T hacked
   the upc's getty so that it doesn't read /etc/issue (would be wierd
   since its documented to work).  I remember a question like this
   that was posted but I never saw a reply.

=== The opinions expressed above are all mine and belong to nobody else. ===
    John Rouillard           U-Mass Boston         rouilj@umb.umb.edu
    Physics Major            Harbor Campus         husc6!umb!rouilj
    Physics Department       Boston, MA 02125      rouilj%umb.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) (07/18/89)

In article <869@umb.umb.edu> John Rouillard writes:

> Just a few questions on the unix-pc:
>
> 1)  Does anybody have inittab entries for init level 1. Single user
>     mode. I don't relly care if the windowing system is running or not.

on v3.51 mine looks like this
 :su:1:respawn:/etc/getty window 9600
^

--- space in col 1

> 2) If phtoggle doen't work to start and stop a getty (unix 3.5 sigh)
>    on a phone line, is there another way of doing it that will update
>    the status line so that people can see that they are not going to
>    be getting any calls?

The only way I know of is through the call screen...  There must be
a better way!  If not, you need the 3.51 phone manager...

> 3) I have created /etc/issue and am tyring to get the text in that
>    file to show up on the screen with the getty prompt.
>    Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work. Has AT&T hacked
>    the upc's getty so that it doesn't read /etc/issue (would be wierd
>    since its documented to work).  I remember a question like this
>    that was posted but I never saw a reply.

The earlier question on the net prompted me to investigate the
/etc/issue question on our 7300 & 3b1 pc's...

Here's what I found:::

You need version 3.51 to run getty with the /etc/issue file
displayed on the screen; or, rather, you need 3.51 getty.  I have
both versions, and I, too wondered why /etc/issue wasn't being read
by getty.

My son also complained that his telephone mgr didn't have the cute
little picture of the phone in the ph-mgr's window on the 7300 v3.5,
but more important, phtoggle, wasn't on this machine.

One day I got brave and upgraded the 7300 to 3.51 getty & phone mgr,
now I have the little telephone in the phone mgr's window, phtoggle
works, and the /etc/issue file is displayed!

Sorry to say, this is the only way I found to solve those problems...

	Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
   #   #  #     # #     # #
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz@adds.newyork.ncr.com
  #     # ######  ######   #####

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788

dklann@heurikon.UUCP (David Klann) (07/18/89)

In article <869@umb.umb.edu> rouilj@umb.UUCP (John P. Rouillard) has:
>Just a few questions on the unix-pc:
>1)  Does anybody have inittab entries for init level 1. Single user
>    mode. I don't relly care if the windowing system is running or not.
I just found the key to this last night.  I'll be posting a (somewhat)
complete System V.[23] initialization environment in the next few days.
Single user is windowed, but can be non-windowed with a single change to
/etc/inittab (I prefer vi(1) to ed(1) :-).

>2) If phtoggle doen't work to start and stop a getty (unix 3.5 sigh)
>   on a phone line, is there another way of doing it that will update
>   the status line so that people can see that they are not going to
>   be getting any calls?
Been a long time since I used UA and friends.  I can't answer this.
I do, however, recommend scrapping it in favor of one or another of
the window managers that have been posted (I use Scott Hazen Mueller's).
I'll send details if you're interested.

>3) I have created /etc/issue and am tyring to get the text in that
>   file to show up on the screen with the getty prompt.
>   [ text deleted ]
Your assumption is correct.  During my quest for single user, I played with
this a bit... getty(1M) has been hacked.

David Klann                        No purchase necessary.
Heurikon Corporation               Void where prohibited.
{backbone}!uwvax!heurikon!dklann   Member FDIC.
Use for other than original intention is a violation of federal law.

dean@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Dean Swan) (08/23/89)

I just got a Unix PC (used from a local university) and really need
to clean up the disk.  It has a bunch of accounts on it that are
meaningless (and useless) me.  It came with no docs (only the quick
reference card), and I'm having a !@#$ of a time with it.  I like the
machine a lot, but I need help.
  Also, is there any way to turn off the window manager?

One last thing.  No body remembers the SU password, because the machine
was in a closet for three years, collecting dust.  Is there anyway I
can find out what the password is, or regenerate the system, or something?

Thanx in advance....

Dean Swan
dean@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

P.S. Direct E-mail replys are better for me, but I'll check this group too.
Thanks again.  :-)

dean@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Dean Swan) (08/24/89)

Wow!  I like this news group.  I got ten replies to my posting of yesterday
overnight.  Thank you all.  The people who gave me the machine were able
to locate the docs and original floppies, so I initialized the disk and
reloaded the system.  Now I'm ready to really have problems..... :-)

-Dean Swan
dean@sun.soe.clarkson.edu