[comp.sys.att] Rn won't work om modem port?

mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) (09/07/89)

    Rn works fine from the console, or from /dev/tty000. But when I log in
through the modem port via /dev/ph1, I get a "Can't open /dev/tty" error
message as soon as I start rn. Any hints?

Mark

--
    Mark H. Weber ( mhw@Lock60.LS.Com  or  ...!uunet!lgnp1!lock60!mhw  or
	            ...gatech!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!lock60!mhw )

roger@binky.uucp (Roger Taranto) (09/09/89)

In article <332@lock60.UUCP> mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:
>    Rn works fine from the console, or from /dev/tty000. But when I log in
>through the modem port via /dev/ph1, I get a "Can't open /dev/tty" error
>message as soon as I start rn. Any hints?

In term.c, there is a line that looks like:
    devtty = open("/dev/tty",0);
You need to change it to:
    devtty = open("/dev/tty",O_RDWR);
(or, use 2 instead of O_RDWR)

Can we get this added to the frequently-asked-questions posting?

-Roger
roger@binky.UUCP	...!{pacbell,ucbcad,rtech}!binky!roger