[comp.sys.att] Looking for tools.

ned@pebbles.cad.mcc.com (Ned Nowotny) (08/27/89)

Now that my disk is 68% available instead of 95% full (fixed by a disk upgrade),
I am interested in tracking down a few good pieces of software:

1) What is the current word on HDB uucp for people who are not AT&T employees?

2) Since I have no desire to pay AT&T for mailx, what mailers do you use and
   recommend?

3) What is the latest C version of TeX?  Is it CTeX or CommonTeX?  How do they
   differ?  Which do you recommend?  Where can I get it and a previewer?  Oh,
   and where can I get a DVI driver for an HP LaserJet II?

4) Is there a PD man command?  Or, should I just code up a shell script to
   run "nroff -man" on files found by name in the usual man directories?

5) Speaking of nroff, are there copyright restrictions on getting the ms and
   me macro packages for my machine?  To what, if anything, are the mn macros
   distributed with the cnews(?) sources similar?

6) Do you recommend any other essential programs?

Thank you for your support.

Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned@mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned
"We have ways to make you scream." - Intel advertisement in the June 1989 DDJ.

hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) (08/29/89)

>2) Since I have no desire to pay AT&T for mailx, what mailers do you use and
>   recommend?

AT&T mailx is really Berkeley Mail, which is not restricted by the AT&T
source license, and is therefore available for anonymous FTP from
uunet.uu.net in the directory bsd-sources/src/ucb/Mail.  Some common
public-domain mailers are elm, mm, mh, and mush.  I'm sure that each
of these has been ported to the Unix-PC at one time or another.

>5) Speaking of nroff, are there copyright restrictions on getting the ms and
>   me macro packages for my machine?  To what, if anything, are the mn macros
>   distributed with the cnews(?) sources similar?

The ms macros are part of the AT&T licensed source, but the me macros
are not.  You can get them with anonymous FTP from uunet.uu.net in the
directories bsd-sources/lib/tmac and bsd-sources/lib/me.

	---Bob.
--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman@cs.pitt.edu

elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) (09/02/89)

> The ms macros are part of the AT&T licensed source, but the me macros
> are not.  You can get them with anonymous FTP from uunet.uu.net in the
> directories bsd-sources/lib/tmac and bsd-sources/lib/me.

I happen to need (BADLY!) the me macros, how about somewhere that allows
anon-uucp to pick these up. Even better, anybody in the Orlando FL area want
to mail them to me??

--
Elliot Dierksen                 UUCP: {peora,ucf-cs,uunet}tarpit!alfred!elliot

"You can only be you once, but you can be immature forever!"

stevea@mcdclv.UUCP (Steve Alexander) (09/08/89)

----- News saved at 7 Sep 89 20:02:31 GMT
In article <5773@pitt.UUCP> hoffman@cs.pitt.edu (Bob Hoffman) writes:
>>2) Since I have no desire to pay AT&T for mailx, what mailers do you use and
>>   recommend?
>
>AT&T mailx is really Berkeley Mail, which is not restricted by the AT&T
>source license,
	The mailx source in Release 3 has lots and lots of AT&T copyright
notices in it.  It may look and feel somewhat like Berkeley mail, but I
doubt that it is based on Berkeley source.  I would also be very
careful about copying *ANYTHING* from an AT&T distribution.

--
    Steve Alexander     | "Down, down in the basement, I hear the sound of
    MCD Cleveland       |  machines" - D. Byrne

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (09/09/89)

In article <583@mcdclv.UUCP> stevea@mcdclv.UUCP (Steve Alexander) writes:
|	The mailx source in Release 3 has lots and lots of AT&T copyright
|notices in it.  It may look and feel somewhat like Berkeley mail, but I
|doubt that it is based on Berkeley source.  I would also be very
|careful about copying *ANYTHING* from an AT&T distribution.

Having looked at the source for both, mailx is almost certainly derived
from Mail, but given the copyright notices, I wouldn't touch the mailx
source regardless.
--
John R. MacMillan           "Don't you miss it...don't you miss it...
john@chance.UUCP             Some of you people just about missed it."

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (09/11/89)

We have a source license for 5.2.  A while back I needed to look at
the sources for mailx.  The string, "Copyright (c) 1979  Regents of
the University of California",  appears in the c language sources
for mailx.  It would appear that the only changes to mailx were to
accodate the differences in signal handling and a few other minor
quirks between bsd and sys V.  From the user's point of view,
mailx==/usr/ucb/mail.

Bill