[comp.sys.att] Re-pumping eports?

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (09/28/89)

My 3b2/700 periodically looses one or more serial ports on an
eport card.  It may lose a port or two a week on any of its eports
cards.  At the present time, the only way I have found to clear
the condition is to reboot.  The symptom is that no data will
move into or out of the port.  I presume that I could probably
"re-pump" the eport card, but I can't seem to find the appropriate
command syntax.

Any idea why?  I have lots of ports with Hayes modems used for
a dialup application moving lots of binary data.  After a while, the
port is simply shot: the modem won't answer, and I cannot send data
to the modem either.

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (09/29/89)

In article <1141@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>My 3b2/700 periodically looses one or more serial ports on an
>eport card.  It may lose a port or two a week on any of its eports
>cards.  At the present time, the only way I have found to clear
>the condition is to reboot.  The symptom is that no data will
>move into or out of the port.  I presume that I could probably
>"re-pump" the eport card, but I can't seem to find the appropriate
>command syntax.

We had the same problem with the eports boards on our 3B2/500.  We
found that we were running release 1.1 of the eports software
(which was loaded off the tape), but that we had release 1.2 on
installable diskettes.  When we removed 1.1 and installed 1.2, the
problems pretty much went away.  (We were able to use the 1.2 disks
to remove the 1.1 sotware.) We still occasionally experience a hung
port, probably because we running too many ports on individual boards
at 9600 baud.  We spread the load out across the boards; this seems
to help, too.

There are some fairly severe limits as to the number and speed for
the ports on the ports and eports boards.  You should be able to
find that in the eports docs.

--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

kevin@cfctech.UUCP (Kevin Darcy) (09/29/89)

In article <15982@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:
>In article <1141@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>>My 3b2/700 periodically looses one or more serial ports on an
>>eport card....
>>...the only way I have found to clear the condition is to reboot...
>>...I could probably "re-pump" the eport card, but I can't seem to find the
>>appropriate command syntax.
>
>We had the same problem with the eports boards on our 3B2/500.  We
>found that we were running release 1.1 of the eports software
>(which was loaded off the tape), but that we had release 1.2 on
>installable diskettes...

We had similar problems running eports 1.1 on our network, except it showed
up as printers mysteriously disabling. Right now, our standard 3B2
configuration is eports 1.2 (from diskette). However, eports 1.2 is still not
perfect - it has some problems with flow control when talking to various
non-AT&T machines. We have had a beta 1.3 running successfully for a while on
one of our test machines, and just received the official 1.3 version (although
we haven't really tested it yet). You might want to contact your AT&T sales
rep if you want this version.

As far as pumping the board, I'm afraid I don't quite remember the syntax
either (I'm at home now without access to manuals). I do know that the code
to be downloaded is in /lib/pump/eports. What does /etc/pump do?

--
 Kevin Darcy, Asst. Unix Systems Admin. | +1 313 948 4863
 kevin@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.

msc@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (michael.s.cross) (09/30/89)

>move into or out of the port.  I presume that I could probably
>"re-pump" the eport card, but I can't seem to find the appropriate
>command syntax.

This is what I was told to do.  Sometimes it works/sometimes it doesn't.

/etc/pump /dev/tty## /lib/pump/eports
		  ^^
	need tty port numbers

------

  Something else that I have had more success with is to respawn the getty.

ps -ef|pg                /* find the process running on that port */
kill -9 {process_id}
init 3                   /* restart getty process */

Mike
Disclaimer: none of this is official AT&T policy.

--
Michael S. Cross  (msc@ihc.att.com)  (312)-982-2018
AT&T Bell Laboratories, 5555 Touhy Ave., Skokie, IL  60077

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (10/01/89)

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

>I presume that I could probably "re-pump" the eport card,
>but I can't seem to find the appropriate command syntax.

/etc/pump /lib/pump/eports /dev/tty21

The second argument should be the first port of the eports board
you want to re-pump.
After pumping, 'kill -9' all processes that have opened one
of the ports on the board.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim

denny@mcmi.uucp (Denny Page) (10/01/89)

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>I presume that I could probably
>"re-pump" the eport card, but I can't seem to find the appropriate
>command syntax.

pump /dev/ttyxx /lib/pump/eports

You also need to kill any processes running on the card (you can save
the status of each port via the -g option of stty if you have
something critical, but normally it's not worth it).

Denny
--
Someday has arrived

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (10/02/89)

In article <3555@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> msc@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (michael.s.cross,sk,) writes:
|>>move into or out of the port.  I presume that I could probably
|>>"re-pump" the eport card, but I can't seem to find the appropriate
|>>command syntax.
|>>

|>This is what I was told to do.  Sometimes it works/sometimes it doesn't.
|>
|>/etc/pump /dev/tty## /lib/pump/eports
|>		  ^^
|>		  ||
|>	need tty port numbers
The ports must be idle, nothing can be running on them.  Turn off all
getty's (and uugetty) on any of the ports.  Then I believe to reload the
firmware with the pump command, you need to specify the first port on
the card (ie. tty11, tty21, tty31, tty41, etc...)

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      [w] +1 (516) 589-7930 |
| lenny@icus.islp.ny.us     Telex; 154232428 ICUS      [h] +1 (516) 968-8576 |