[comp.sys.att] mail replacement

rhaar@rcsuna.UUCP (Bob Haar CS50) (10/05/89)

Can anyone recommend a public domain replacement for the mail program
that comes standard with a UNIX-PC ?

I would like to have capabilities such as output paging, address
aliases, message header searching, and tilde (~) commands.

Or is there a way to get this with the usual binmail?

	Bob Haar

	mcf!rphroy!rcsuna!rhaar

sac@conrad.UUCP (Steven A. Conrad) (10/08/89)

In article <17725@rcsuna.UUCP> rhaar@rcsuna.UUCP (Bob Haar CS50) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a public domain replacement for the mail program
>that comes standard with a UNIX-PC ?

I use mush 6.3, and others are available, such as mailx (I've not used
the others, but mush suits me fine.  Mush is "mail user's shell", and
should be readily available.
--
Steven A. Conrad,  Department of Medicine (Critical Care)
Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport, LA

mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) (10/10/89)

In article <17725@rcsuna.UUCP> rhaar@rcsuna.UUCP (Bob Haar CS50) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a public domain replacement for the mail program
>that comes standard with a UNIX-PC ?

Try the ELM package, which is available from many sites, and works well on
the UNIX-PC (I use it at home and at work). The latest version is 2.2
Patch Level 11. Send me mail if you can't find it and I will give you
some specific sites.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw@Lock60.LS.Com  or  mhw%lock60@GVL.Unisys.COM  or
           uunet!lgnp1!lock60!mhw  or  gatech!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!lock60!mhw )