[comp.sys.att] Terminal emulators over Starlan

rs@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.w.sanderman) (10/14/89)

Is there a way to get a terminal emulator other than the 4410 or 513 emulator
to run over Starlan?  The emulator I'm trying to use currently only knows
about com ports.  Would this require a significant modification to the emulator
or is there an easy way to configure it for Starlan?

Thanks
Bob Sanderman
rs@mhuxu.att.com

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (10/19/89)

In article <5461@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> rs@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.w.sanderman) writes:
>Is there a way to get a terminal emulator other than the 4410 or 513 emulator
>Thanks
>Bob Sanderman
>rs@mhuxu.att.com

Kermit 2.31 can talk over NETBIOS lans.  Source is available from
Columbia University, you might want to look in comp.protocols.kermit
for an address.  Kermit is kind of nice since it's public domain.
Unless you need some specific features, kermit supports most anything
you'd want to do.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support

alexb@cfctech.UUCP (Alex Beylin) (10/21/89)

In article <5461@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> rs@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.w.sanderman) writes:
>Is there a way to get a terminal emulator other than the 4410 or 513 emulator
>to run over Starlan?  The emulator I'm trying to use currently only knows
>about com ports.  Would this require a significant modification to the emulator
>or is there an easy way to configure it for Starlan?

ATT sells a product called EMOTS which we use over Starlan-10.  I was told
that it will also work over Starlan-1, but we have not tested that.
When we first started using it, EMOTS was very buggy, but the latest
version - 3.0 seems clean.

EMOTS uses a redirector to allow communication via Starlan instead
of the serial port.

Disclamer: I don't work for AT&T, just have a lot of their products.

 Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 948-3386
 alexb%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 sharkey!cfctech!alexb                  | MIS, Distributed Systems
 ATT Mail ID: attmail!abeylin           | Southfield, MI 48034

david@loki.uif.uiuc.edu (David M. Lyle) (10/21/89)

In article <17088@cfctech.UUCP> alexb@cfctech.UUCP (Alex Beylin) writes:
>In article <5461@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> rs@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.w.sanderman) writes:
>>Is there a way to get a terminal emulator other than the 4410 or 513 emulator
>>to run over Starlan?  The emulator I'm trying to use currently only knows
>>about com ports.  Would this require a significant modification to the emulator
>>or is there an easy way to configure it for Starlan?
>
>ATT sells a product called EMOTS which we use over Starlan-10.  I was told
>that it will also work over Starlan-1, but we have not tested that.
>When we first started using it, EMOTS was very buggy, but the latest
>version - 3.0 seems clean.
>
>EMOTS uses a redirector to allow communication via Starlan instead
>of the serial port.

AT&T included a modified version of Kermit with the StarLan software that
I installed. (OSI Network Program V3.2)  Check with you AT&T account rep.

David

David M. Lyle		    "... and once you have tasted flight, you will walk
U of Ill. Foundation        the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there
dmlyle@uiuc.edu             you have been, and there you long to return ..."

In article <1989Oct20.215040.5644@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> david@loki (David M. Lyle) writes:
>>>Is there a way to get a terminal emulator other than the 4410 or 513 emulator
>>>to run over Starlan?  The emulator I'm trying to use currently only knows
>>>about com ports.  Would this require a significant modification to the emulator

>AT&T included a modified version of Kermit with the StarLan software that
>I installed. (OSI Network Program V3.2)  Check with you AT&T account rep.

The standard MSDOS kermit 2.3A will work over starlan (old or new version)
and does a good vt102 emulation.  Just "set port net machine_name" and
"connect".
It can be ftp'ed from somewhere at Columbia University (the home of all
kermits) or uucp'ed from okstate or osu-cis.  Or, if you have the current
OSI DOS starlan software, you already have a copy.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us