[comp.sys.att] smgr keeps dying ???

vijay@albanycs.Albany.Edu (Vijay Vaidyanathan) (10/17/89)

I've had this problem for a while, and thought that it was unique
to my system till I found it happening to a friends system too.

Every few days (sometimes more often, sometimes less!), the clock
display on the top line of the UNIXPC screen vanishes. I have to
su and then run /etc/smgr, and alls fine. Is this serious? Symptomatic
of some strange terminal illness ? So, how long do I have ??

While I'm at it, What is/ Why is uucp from HDB any different from
the stock uucp (with the patch) from AT&T ? If its any better, then
where can I get a copy of it from ??

Thanks.
- Vijay
-------
vijay@cssun.albany.edu, vijay@albanycs.albany.edu
-------

jeff@jeffpc.UUCP (Jeff Trim) (10/20/89)

In article <342@albanycs.Albany.Edu> vijay@albanycs.Albany.Edu (Vijay Vaidyanathan) writes:

Because this may or may not be common knowledge: 'smgr' and 'cron' are
EQUIVILENTS - This is in reference to the 3B1 Unix Pc...
So you may freely substitute '/etc/cron' for '/etc/smgr' throughout
this posting.

>Every few days (sometimes more often, sometimes less!), the clock
>display on the top line of the UNIXPC screen vanishes. I have to
>su and then run /etc/smgr, and alls fine. Is this serious? Symptomatic
>of some strange terminal illness ? So, how long do I have ??

Ummm loosing your 'cron' can be hazerdous to your health - yes ;-)
cron does things like set the current time/date - schedules everything
on your system - you really shouldn't operate without it .....

One of the things I have noticed about the 3B1 is that it doesn't
like to let you start processes in background and then logoff ;-(
I think it doesn't dis-associate the PARENT process from the
background process and basically it kills the background process
when you are no longer around (ala have logged out).  What is
needed is a way to disassociate processes from your TTY - that way
it runs like a daemon ... the way 'smgr' is supposed to run...

If your 'cron' is dieing that is not very good ;-(  If you are having
troubles like that here's how I would go about searching for a
remedy:

1) READ your 'cronlog' file ;-)  (hehe I guess I am guilty of not listening
   to my system as well ;-)  (/usr/adm/cronlog)
2) check your '/usr/lib/crontab' file for processes that might be doing
   nasty things to your system.  Basically you are looking for something
   that you run via crontab that *might* be crashing your 'smgr' (cron).

Another way to get around this and the (above) problem is to utilize
the '/etc/daemons' directory - this is checked at BOOT TIME for
'user-written' processes that want to be STARTED without TTY
association - in this way you will have a running background daemon
that you can safely logoff and leave running - it shouldn't die
unless it 'abends' or dumps core on you, system dies, etc..etc.
This will ONLY work if you are 'root' or your 3B1 - as it is found
in the /etc directory .. the superusers happy home ;)

One thing further - 'smgr' should startup at boot time and never die,
it's a pretty important process.  If it is dying then you may have
problems -- anyone out in net-land have any ideas about this??

Hope that was of some help -- if I am gravely mistaken someone will
censor me ;-)  (nothing like USENET ;-)

>Thanks.
>- Vijay
>-------
>vijay@cssun.albany.edu, vijay@albanycs.albany.edu
>-------

No prob,

	  - Jeff

--
INET: jeff@jeffpc.eds.com
UUCP: [ uunet, teemc ]!{edsews, glc}!jeffpc!jeff

brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) (10/24/89)

In article <139@jeffpc.UUCP> jeff@jeffpc.UUCP (Jeff Trim) writes:
>Because this may or may not be common knowledge: 'smgr' and 'cron' are
>EQUIVILENTS - This is in reference to the 3B1 Unix Pc...

Sorry, but this is absolutely false.  /etc/smgr and /etc/cron on the
UNIXpc are not equivalent at all, as a simple ls -l would prove.  Cron
is the "standard" System V clock daemon, whereas smgr is a cron
superset: it performs all the functions of cron, and more.  Besides
its cron functions, smgr controls the date and time display at the top
of the display, drives the mail, calendar, and disk-space-low icons,
and also performs certain system error logging activities (smgr is the
one behind those [!] and [!!] icons).  Smgr is the preferred clock
daemon on the UNIXpc.

PLEASE folks, it's great to try to help, but first try to be
reasonably sure of your facts, lest you possibly do more harm than
good.

>One of the things I have noticed about the 3B1 is that it doesn't
>like to let you start processes in background and then logoff [...]

No, it likes that fine.  You just need to read about nohup(1).

As for WHY smgr is dying, that I cannot fathom, so I'm going to take
my own advice and be quiet.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Computer and Information Science

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (3673,ATTT) (10/25/89)

In article <498@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>In article <139@jeffpc.UUCP> jeff@jeffpc.UUCP (Jeff Trim) writes:
>>Because this may or may not be common knowledge: 'smgr' and 'cron' are
>>EQUIVILENTS - This is in reference to the 3B1 Unix Pc...

>Sorry, but this is absolutely false.  /etc/smgr and /etc/cron on the
>UNIXpc are not equivalent at all, as a simple ls -l would prove.

Woah! Down Boy! Now lets read... slowly :-) /etc/smgr and /etc/cron
are *equivilents*, not the same.  Perhaps Jeff should have said
something along the order of "functional" equivilents.

>Cron is the "standard" System V clock daemon,...
>whereas smgr is a cron superset,...
>Smgr is the preferred clock daemon on the UNIXpc.

You said it yourself, there *both* clock daemons.  However, the
cron supplied with the 3B1 is somewhat different that the
cron/crontab (and atjob) utilities supplied with real SysV rel2&3
I don't believe the the 3B1 cron is the "standard"

>PLEASE folks, it's great to try to help, but first try to be
>reasonably sure of your facts, lest you possibly do more harm than
>good.

Agreed, but also please read the messages try to understand what the
other is saying. We aren't all as eloquent as we'ld like to believe :-)

>>One of the things I have noticed about the 3B1 is that it doesn't
>>like to let you start processes in background and then logoff [...]
>
>No, it likes that fine.  You just need to read about nohup(1).

I remember a case when running remotely on a friends 3b1.
nohup'ing a background job and trying to exit.  the exit
would be aborted with a "process left in background"
message.

I don't run too many nohup'd jobs on my home machine.

To exit after nohup'ing, just type "exit <return>" twice, without
any intervening commands.

It likes it fine.  You just have to try it. :-)

>Brant Cheikes

-bill rankin
Bill Rankin				email address:	att!moss!wtr
was: Bell Labs, Whippany NJ				att!bromo!wtr
now: AT&T Federal Systems, Burlington NC  (919) 228 3673 (cornet 291)