[comp.sys.att] Memory Expansion

jarrett@gremlin.ucsd.edu (Brooke Jarrett) (10/27/89)

I'm posting for a friend of mine (with an ulterior motive).
My friend has a 7300 with .5Meg on the mother-board and 2 expansion
boards with .5Meg each.  He would like to upgrade the 64k chips
to 256's (which will leave him with an extra board for me 8-).
Does anyone have info as to a memory expansion kit, or know where
to get the 256 chips.
	Also, he just got his DOS73 board (I'll get mine the end of the
month), and is planning to replace the 8086 with a NEC V30.  This is
supposed to give a 30% increase in speed, and the NEC V30 only costs,
$15.00.  Does anyone know of any problems with this switch.
				Thanks for the help,
				Brooke Jarrett
				bjarrett@ucsd.edu		(work)
				ucsd!sdsu!berick!delbr!brooke	(home)

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (10/28/89)

In article <7298@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, jarrett@gremlin.ucsd.edu (Brooke Jarrett) writes:
> I'm posting for a friend of mine (with an ulterior motive).
> My friend has a 7300 with .5Meg on the mother-board and 2 expansion
> boards with .5Meg each.  He would like to upgrade the 64k chips
> to 256's (which will leave him with an extra board for me 8-).
> Does anyone have info as to a memory expansion kit, or know where
> to get the 256 chips.

This is a fairly easy change to make.  (Assuming you call replacing 72
soldered chips easy :-).   There are at least two style of motherboards,
however the one you probably have has three pins near the front of
the motherboard labeled E1-E2-E3.  There is a jumper between two of
them.  Replace the chips, move the jumper, and you should have a 2MB
system.

> 	Also, he just got his DOS73 board (I'll get mine the end of the
> month), and is planning to replace the 8086 with a NEC V30.  This is
> supposed to give a 30% increase in speed, and the NEC V30 only costs,
> $15.00.  Does anyone know of any problems with this switch.

I have never heard of anyone putting a V30 in a DOS-73 (this sounds
kind of like putting racing tires on a Volkswagen!), but I have heard
of a number of people putting them in PC's and generally have had no
problems.  The 30% improvement is a little optimistic though - only
an impossibly contrived instruction mix could come close to this, but
the price is right, even for a much smaller gain.  Remember, that the
V30 will not help much with either disk or screen I/O, both of which
have to go through the same UNIX operating system.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.