[comp.sys.att] TeX, X11, 3B2-400

I would like information on TeX and X11 running on a 3B2-400.
I would like to use TeX and X11 with a X-terminal from NCD
to do technical word processing.

John Mireley
Dept of Chemistry
MSU

alexb@cfctech.UUCP (Alex Beylin) (11/16/89)

In article <5343@cps3xx.UUCP> mireley@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>I would like information on TeX and X11 running on a 3B2-400.
>I would like to use TeX and X11 with a X-terminal from NCD
>to do technical word processing.

Bad news, John.  A few weeks ago I posted a request for anyone who
has 3B2 based X11 to contact me to a number of different groups.
While I got quite a few "me too" letters, as far as I can tell noone
outside of the AT&T has a 3B2 X11 implementation.

According to my local AT&T Data Branch Manager, X11 will be available
on 3B2s some time next year.  He is trying to get me on the beta distribution
list.....

We are currently looking at doing our own port to 3B2/1000.  The first
requirements is sockets library, which we got with WIN TCP/IP.
(Well, one could port all networking features to STREAMS, as Interactive
people did, but that is more effort than it is worth for us).

As for Tex, I would imagine there is a number of people who ported it
to 3B2s.  We don't use it at the moment, but let me know if
you need source.

-- Alex

 Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 948-3386
 alexb%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 sharkey!cfctech!alexb                  | MIS, Distributed Systems
 ATT Mail ID: attmail!abeylin           | Southfield, MI 48034