[comp.sys.att] 3B2/600 questions

mike@ai.etl.army.mil (Mike McDonnell) (11/11/89)

Please excuse me if some of these questions have been answered here
before, but I just became aware of the incredible prices I can get a
3B2/600 for under an Air Force contract and I need some information
about the computer that the contract literature did not provide.  Here
they are:

1. What is the (approximate of course) MIPS rating of the 3B2/600 with a
24MHz CPU board?  What is the MFLOPS?

2. What is the "industry standard bus" used?

3. RFS comes with the computer.  Is NFS available from somewhere?

4. Can programmers get at the other processors that you get with the
multiprocessor board or is this just used invisibly by the kernel to do
I/O or some such?  It would be nice to try out some parallel programming.

5. Do the internet programs "named" and "egp" or their equivalents run
on the 3B2?  If they do, where do I get them?  I don't want to go back
to copying host tables.

6. Is anybody working on porting the FSF C compiler, gcc, to the 3B2?
What about g++?

7. Anybody compiled the X Window System public distribution (X11.3) on
the 3B2?

8. Finally, are there archives for comp.sys.att where I can look stuff
up for myself?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  These computers look pretty good
but I have to know how much of our current environment (VAX, 4.3BSD, X,
Arpanet) I can retain if I buy one.
--
Mike McDonnell at the U.S. Army Engineer Topographic Laboratories, Bldg. 2592
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5546   TEL:(202)355-2716   NET: mike@etl.army.mil

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/15/89)

In article <367@ai.etl.army.mil> mike@ai.etl.army.mil (Mike McDonnell) writes:

> 3. RFS comes with the computer.  Is NFS available from somewhere?

Why would you want it?  :-)

> 6. Is anybody working on porting the FSF C compiler, gcc, to the 3B2?
> What about g++?

I am.  I am also VERY interested in hearing from anyone else who may
be embarking on a similar effort.  I'm not very far along yet, as the
time I have available to this task is limited, and I do already have a
C compiler for the 3B2!  At this point I'm still reading the processor
manual, though I do have most of the sources for GCC and friends, and
have started reading the GCC manual as well.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (11/22/89)

In article <1989Nov15.155346.25197@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>In article <367@ai.etl.army.mil> mike@ai.etl.army.mil (Mike McDonnell) writes:
>> 3. RFS comes with the computer.  Is NFS available from somewhere?
>Why would you want it?  :-)

I see the smiley, so you're somewhat off the hook.  Somewhat.  Could
you name vendors of RFS for (oh, let's see now...) Vax/VMS, SunOS (any
version at all), CDC NOS, or Apple Macintosh?  Dec Ultrix?  HP/Apollo?
IBM AIX or even (shudder) VM/CMS?  I see some real interoperability
problems here :-), not everyone is prepared to chuck their current
hardware after picking up a 3b2/<nnn>.  Of course, there's always BNS
(uucp to the unwashed :-).

I admit that many of these machines don't run un*x.  But as far as I
know, they will all run NFS (not always as servers, mind, and
corrections welcome.)  RFS is no speed daemon :-) either, and has real
problems when the server or client crashes.  I ran one for a while,
and every time we lost a node, I had to shut it down on all the
others, reboot the deader, and then start it up again all around the
net.

	And Now, the "Truth In Flaming" Section!!

I _do_ like the way RFS allows sharing periperals like tape drives.
That's really handy.  RFS does much more correctly support un*x
filesystem semantics.  It does locking without funky locking and
status daemons (lockd and statd).  It doesn't hand little suprise
gotcha's to the sysadmin (howz'about some filenames with '/' in the
the _path components_ :-).  It's just a pain in a multivendor
environment, that's all.  In a purely homogenous environment RFS is
Not A Bad Thing.

In article <1262@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
[re: RFS]
>I see some real interoperability
>problems here :-), not everyone is prepared to chuck their current
>hardware after picking up a 3b2/<nnn>.
[...]
>RFS is no speed daemon :-) either, and has real
>problems when the server or client crashes.  I ran one for a while,
>and every time we lost a node, I had to shut it down on all the
>others, reboot the deader, and then start it up again all around the
>net.

If your machines crash often enough to be a problem maybe you *should*
replace them...

Anyway, you should not have to restart RFS because any single node
goes away.  As long as the primary name server is running, you should
be able to reboot any other machine and the automatic adv's and mounts
will take care of themselves.  If you designate one or more secondary
nameservers you can also reboot the primary and have it pick up the
currently advertised names by doing an "rfadmin -p" at the secondary.
Without a secondary namserver you would still only have to re-advertise
everything after rebooting the primary.  Currently active links between
other machines would not be affected.  You do lose any processes that
happen to be using an RFS directory that goes away.

>I _do_ like the way RFS allows sharing periperals like tape drives.
>That's really handy.

Actually I think this is a bad idea compared to providing server programs
that know how to handle both the network and device efficiently.  There
are also problems with ioctl()'s to devices when the CPU's are different.

>RFS does much more correctly support un*x
>filesystem semantics.  It does locking without funky locking and
>status daemons (lockd and statd).

This is indeed nice, as is the ability to make a FIFO that appears on
multiple machines and works with programs that think it is an ordinary
file.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

scj@casux4.uucp (Steve Johnson) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov22.162738.10433@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>If your machines crash often enough to be a problem maybe you *should*
>replace them...

Except that when WE run RFS between machines that COEXIST with MANY other
(non-AT&T, heterogenous) machines on the same ethernet LAN, *crashes* of
our machines are often related to RFS crashes.  It seems that packets NOT
destined for RFS or even our boxes *somehow* cripple our (nearly new,
current software) 3B2/(600,700,1000*) machines into panic'ing (stream
resource related panics).  Tuning is not an issue (for instance, /etc/crash
shows no failures for strstat, no other errors either, either from crash
or other daemons and logs).

>Anyway, you should not have to restart RFS because any single node
>goes away.

Agreed, you *should* not have to restart.  But, on the same LAN as
mentioned above, *with* a secondary properly defined, our entire RFS
network often comes down, HARD, when the primary server RFS crashes.
Additionally, ( serious, but we are :-) with RFS OVERALL) we often have
to REBOOT the primary server after an RFS crash to gain any RFS sanity.

Tests done in *isolation* from the rest of our normal LAN neighbors show
*near complete* RFS stability.  We believe that RFS *just cannot cope*
with the MANY protocols and other network traffic on the LAN.  Storms
are sometimes, but not always an issue here.

I really do like the overall stability of AT&T 3B2 products, both
hardware and software, but in case some offense is taken, I'm
putting on asbestos shorts! ;-)

Bye!

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/24/89)

In article <1262@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
> In article <1989Nov15.155346.25197@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> >In article <367@ai.etl.army.mil> mike@ai.etl.army.mil (Mike McDonnell) writes:
> >> 3. RFS comes with the computer.  Is NFS available from somewhere?
> >Why would you want it?  :-)
>
> I see the smiley, so you're somewhat off the hook.  Somewhat.

:-) :-) :-)

One reason I joke about this is, as you say, RFS is not readily
available, and has known problems in heterogeneous environments.

However, from the less pragmatic side, I would like to see RFS
marketed, improved, and used, because of the tremendous advantages
this would bring.  We all complain about NFS, but does anyone *DO*
anything about it?  Not that I've seen.  Most of the good distributed
filesystems are still in the research phase.  At least with RFS, we
have some very useful features available to a reasonably large domain
of users (don't forget the 386 and friends).  Now if only we quit
bitching about it to each other, and forced our vendors to make it
usable, we'd get somewhere.

I certainly don't want to have to wait for Plan 9 to reach the
marketplace before we get elegant, and coherent, distributed systems.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov22.162738.10433@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> In article <1262@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
> [re: RFS]
> >I _do_ like the way RFS allows sharing periperals like tape drives.
> >That's really handy.
>
> Actually I think this is a bad idea compared to providing server programs
> that know how to handle both the network and device efficiently.  There
> are also problems with ioctl()'s to devices when the CPU's are different.

Of course you can't share complex peripherals with different systems,
without being *VERY* careful, and without making various changes.

I think that if you take into account the ioctl data is defined by the
device driver, the CPU, the implementation of C, and such, not just
the device itself; you can generate ioctl requests in which the data
has the right number of bits, and the right order of bytes, etc.  You
won't be able to use a curses programme, or a tape rewind programme,
compiled and working on a DEC3100 with a device mounted from a MIPS
(assuming both are running RFS :-), but you might be able to write a
separate ioctl interface for such programmes which will talk to
foreign device drivers, and you should even be able to do it in such a
way that it is user-transparent (find out which filesystems are
remote, stat the device, see if it is remotely mounted, and if it is,
where, and then pick an interface).

So, in the end you will probably want to provide network services
which allow access to shared devices.  Still, in a homogeneous
environment it is nice to be able to mount the other guy's /dev!  As a
very silly example:  it makes more sense to rlogin to another machine
than to disable your tty, and then have the other guy rmount and run
getty on it.  However this example isn't so silly if you want to be
able to balance the load on your machines by transparently shuffling
users between them without getting into a wiring tangle.
--

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (11/27/89)

les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>If your machines crash often enough to be a problem maybe you *should*
>replace them...

I'd like to replace TransAlta Power (my power utility).  Can't afford UPS's
for 35+ geographically dispersed machines, I'm afraid, and we see enough
hits on the power lines to make life interesting.  I mean 1 to 2 second
outages.

	Ross

In article <18366@bellcore.bellcore.com> scj@navaho.cc.bellcore.com (Steve Johnson) writes:

>It seems that packets NOT
>destined for RFS or even our boxes *somehow* cripple our (nearly new,
>current software) 3B2/(600,700,1000*) machines into panic'ing (stream
>resource related panics).  Tuning is not an issue (for instance, /etc/crash
>shows no failures for strstat, no other errors either, either from crash
>or other daemons and logs).

Interesting.  We used to have the same problem when we had a mix of
Starlan 1.0 and 3.2 (URP/OSI) machines on the same net.  It seemed to
happen most often when we had the lan manager running (it watched
both protocols) and particularly when the 3B2's would access their
tape drives.  My guess is that the length of a packet is interpreted
incorrectly due to the mix of protocols and the kernel buffer pool
is overrun.

>>Anyway, you should not have to restart RFS because any single node
>>goes away.

>Agreed, you *should* not have to restart.  But, on the same LAN as
>mentioned above, *with* a secondary properly defined, our entire RFS
>network often comes down, HARD, when the primary server RFS crashes.
>Additionally, ( serious, but we are :-) with RFS OVERALL) we often have
>to REBOOT the primary server after an RFS crash to gain any RFS sanity.

I saw something like that a few times under 1.0 starlan on the 3b2's,
mostly triggered by someone disconnecting a wire and leaving an
unterminated run.  Since installing 3.2 and changing to the newer
network hub units we haven't had that sort of problem (several months
now).  Rebooting the primary server isn't too serious if you have
set up a secondary machiner.

>Tests done in *isolation* from the rest of our normal LAN neighbors show
>*near complete* RFS stability.  We believe that RFS *just cannot cope*
>with the MANY protocols and other network traffic on the LAN.  Storms
>are sometimes, but not always an issue here.

I suspect that this relates more to the network drivers than RFS.

>I really do like the overall stability of AT&T 3B2 products, both
>hardware and software, but in case some offense is taken, I'm
>putting on asbestos shorts! ;-)

I'd like to seem more discussion of these kinds of real-world problems
out in the open.  Why should anyone be offended?

Les Mikesell
 les@chinet.chi.il.us

In article <1279@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:

>I'd like to replace TransAlta Power (my power utility).  Can't afford UPS's
>for 35+ geographically dispersed machines, I'm afraid, and we see enough
>hits on the power lines to make life interesting.  I mean 1 to 2 second
>outages.

I'm inclined to consider UPS's as a part of the cost of the machine, having
had to replace several expensive system boards due to power fluctuations
before buying them. The data integrity is just gravy...

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov29.052142.2137@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
"I'm inclined to consider UPS's as a part of the cost of the machine, having
"had to replace several expensive system boards due to power fluctuations
"before buying them. The data integrity is just gravy...

i'm surprised (well, a little, anyway) that small machines -- which i
define as machines designed to be used outside a controlled
environment -- don't have power conditioning and limited battery
holdup *built*in*.
the battery would only have to last for a few minutes -- long enough to
catch sigpwr and shut down. (perhaps init s would be the fastest way...)
this would be redundant if you have a real ups, but it would still give
you a little extra insurance against system problems.

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
42 Authority		|	  Zaphod Beeblebrox is now appearing in	       |

In article <11826@cbnews.ATT.COM> mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay,54242,wi,1d007,508 374 5484) writes:
>i'm surprised (well, a little, anyway) that small machines -- which i
>define as machines designed to be used outside a controlled
>environment -- don't have power conditioning and limited battery
>holdup *built*in*.

Well, then they wouldn't be "small" machines anymore unless....

>the battery would only have to last for a few minutes -- long enough to
>catch sigpwr and shut down. (perhaps init s would be the fastest way...)
>this would be redundant if you have a real ups, but it would still give
>you a little extra insurance against system problems.

As a builtin for emergencies only, it might just park the disk heads and
support only the RAM.  A tiny battery could do this for hours and then
pick up exactly where things left off.  Some of the Toshiba laptop PC's
have a feature like that to maintain work in progress with minimal
battery drain.  Under unix, some things might be confused by skipping
an interval of time, though, and you would lose most of the terminal
connections anyway.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/02/89)

So:
(Leslie Mikesell) writes:

> I'm inclined to consider UPS's as a part of the cost of the machine ...

OK, I'm convinced; any reliable, lo-budget recommendations? (to protect UNIX-pc)

-- Fred [E.J. Linton, Wesleyan U. Math. Dept, Middletown, CT 06457] 203 776 2210
<flinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU> or <flinton@WESLEYAN.bitnet> or <attmail!fejlinton>