[comp.sys.att] STARLAN on AT&T 3B2/400 and 386

root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (11/19/89)

I am running STARLAN between a pair of 3B2/400s and wish to add a 386
system to the network.  The 3B2s have SVR3.1 UNIX, nsu (Networking
Support Utilities: Release 1 Version 1), slnNAUd (STARLAN NETWORK Access
Unit Package: R1.1.0 V1), slnNPPd (STARLAN NETWORK Program Package:
R1.1.0 V1), and rfs (Remote File Sharing Utilities: Issue 1 V1).

Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?

What software do I need for the 386, assuming that I obtain the AT&T
386/STARLAN card or equivalent?

Thanks,
Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334

root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (11/21/89)

root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?

No not at all!

>What software do I need for the 386, assuming that I obtain the AT&T
>386/STARLAN card or equivalent?

I recomend that you upgrade your system to Unix 3.2.1 before loading the
Starlan. Thats 2 upgrades from 3.1. One is the 3.2.0 base system and Utilities
and the other comes as a three disk set to upgrade to 3.2.1. AT&T used to
offer a deal for the 3.1 to 3.2 upgrade but I don't think it's available
any more. Give the HOTLINE at call at 1-800-245-2480 (thats the number we
use in Canada but it may work in the states)
 Starlan is streams based and NSU has the streams drivers. The
version of Starlan I used to use was 3.2 for the Starlan Network, and
3.1A for the DOS Server package. You should also have at least 8 megs
of ram in your system the kernel grows to about 2.5 megs.

NAME:     Dennis S. Breckenridge   UUCP: uunet!tmsoft!nebulus!dennis
QTH:      Toronto, Canada          ELECTROMAGNETIC:   145.03Mhz ve3gss@ve3gss
AMPR.ORG: [44.135.88.54]           THE RIGHT CHIOCE?: (416) 733-1696

In article <1989Nov21.134118.11677@nebulus> root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?

>No not at all!

Umm... As far as I know, release 1.x of the starlan drivers (which is
what he has on the 3b2) will *not* talk to 3.x (which is all that you
can get for the 386).  They can co-exist on the same wire and there
is a software-bridge product available, but to use rfs he's going to
have to upgrade to release 3.2 starlan on the 3B2.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Netnews Administrator) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov22.160616.10272@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1989Nov21.134118.11677@nebulus> root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>>root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>>Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?
>>No not at all!
>Umm... As far as I know, release 1.x of the starlan drivers (which is
>what he has on the 3b2) will *not* talk to 3.x (which is all that you
>can get for the 386).  They can co-exist on the same wire and there
>is a software-bridge product available, but to use rfs he's going to
>have to upgrade to release 3.2 starlan on the 3B2.
>Les Mikesell

Les is correct; you need to upgrade to an ISO version of the software.

Starlan versions prior to 3.0 talk the Universal Receiver Protocol
(URP) which is not compatible with ISO protocols (although they can
co-exist on the same network).  Here's the quick and dirty info on
Starlan versions.  The information is the same for 3B or 386 Unix.

     2.0 - URP Starlan.  Only talks to 1.0 or 2.0 software
           (URP Starlan), runs on 3.1 Unix, DOES NOT run on
           3.2 Unix
     3.0 - internal distribution, only runs on 1 MB hardware,
           implements ISO protocols, only talks to 3.0 and
           higher Starlan software, runs on 3.1 Unix, DOES
           NOT run on 3.2 Unix
     3.1 - includes all the features of 3.0, and runs over 1
           or 10 Mb hardware, DOES NOT run on 3.2 Unix
    3.1a - includes all the features of 3.1, runs on 3.2
           Unix, DOES NOT run on 3.2.2 Unix
     3.2 - includes all the features of 3.1a, and runs on
           3.2.2 Unix

I also highly recommend you upgrade to 3.2 Unix if it's at all
possible.

Good luck,
--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Indirect Channel Sales Support

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (11/28/89)

In article <1989Nov22.160616.10272@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
=In article <1989Nov21.134118.11677@nebulus> root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
=>root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>>Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?
=
=>No not at all!
=
=Umm... As far as I know, release 1.x of the starlan drivers (which is
=what he has on the 3b2) will *not* talk to 3.x (which is all that you
=can get for the 386).  They can co-exist on the same wire and there
=is a software-bridge product available, but to use rfs he's going to
=have to upgrade to release 3.2 starlan on the 3B2.
=
=Les Mikesell
=  les@chinet.chi.il.us

Oh, oh!  Will "he" have to upgrade anything else?  Does RFS/Starlan 3.2
run on SVR3.1, for example?

Thanks,
Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Engrg. Technology            Voice: 1-609-586-4800

mveao@cbnews.ATT.COM (eric.a.olson) (11/29/89)

In article <1989Nov27.224422.16915@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <1989Nov22.160616.10272@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>=In article <1989Nov21.134118.11677@nebulus> root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>=>root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>=>>Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?
>=
>=>No not at all!
>=
>=Umm... As far as I know, release 1.x of the starlan drivers (which is
>=what he has on the 3b2) will *not* talk to 3.x (which is all that you
>=can get for the 386).  They can co-exist on the same wire and there
>=is a software-bridge product available, but to use rfs he's going to
>=have to upgrade to release 3.2 starlan on the 3B2.
>=
>=Les Mikesell
>=  les@chinet.chi.il.us
>
>Oh, oh!  Will "he" have to upgrade anything else?  Does RFS/Starlan 3.2
>run on SVR3.1, for example?
>
>Thanks,
>Pete

    Perhaps I can clear (or further muddy) the waters here.
    I've been a big fan of Starlan in our lab since it first came out,
    tying our half-dozen 3B1s to 3B2s and RFSing between the 3B2s
    (till our 3B2s started to get old (they ran for three or so
    years just *fine* with absolutely no maintenance) and we went
    to the local computer center for a support contract and they
    told us that RFS in starlan 1.x was buggy and a terrible cpu
    load and that we really didn't want it as much as we thought we
    did and that besides, they couldn't support it and provide the
    uptime we would naturally expect from them on such a system)...

    Now we have two Starlan networks - starlan-10 between a dozen or
    so 386s and starlan-1 between the 3B2s and 3B1s.  And a Hub unit...
    and a 10 to 1 bridge...  Then we found we needed an AUI (remember,
    we got this all in parts as they first came out, and you don't
    find out all that you need when you order by COMCODE rather than
    PEC, but when they first came out, there wasn't a PEC to order...)

    I finally bridged the two networks and found that the NAUs could
    see the ones on the other network by address, but not by symbolic name;
    and cu/uucp of course couldn't find them.  Since it took a few months
    to get all these parts (the AUI took 8 weeks alone), I was afraid
    I wouldn't be able to get support to find the problem, but tried
    anyways...apparently something was still under warranty, because
    I *did* get helped.

    Here is what they said:
	You must have StarGROUP software 3.1 or better on the 3B2s
	in order to talk to Starlan-10 from Starlan.  Starlan is
	ISO(?), while Starlan-10 is OSI.

	You can run StarGROUP software on SVR3.1 and use cu/uucp; but
	you will not be able to run a DOS server without SVR3.2.

	The StarGROUP manuals agree with this restriction.
	I didn't think to ask the hotline about RFS with SVR3.1;
	the StarGROUP manual I just received with the StarGROUP
	software doesn't specifically disallow as it does for the DOS server.

    A local information source added that the SVR3.2 upgrade for the
    /400s and /600s will mean an expensive motherboard upgrade.

    I haven't installed StarGROUP on the 3b2/600 yet as it will
    prevent it from talking to the 3b2/400s, some of which are
    still running DOS servers and can't yet be upgraded.

In article <11791@cbnews.ATT.COM> mveao@cbnews.ATT.COM (eric.a.olson,54242,wi,1f018,508 374 5626) writes:

>    Now we have two Starlan networks - starlan-10 between a dozen or
>    so 386s and starlan-1 between the 3B2s and 3B1s.  And a Hub unit...
>    and a 10 to 1 bridge...
[....]
>    I finally bridged the two networks and found that the NAUs could
>    see the ones on the other network by address, but not by symbolic name;
>    and cu/uucp of course couldn't find them.
[....]
>    Here is what they said:
>	You must have StarGROUP software 3.1 or better on the 3B2s
>	in order to talk to Starlan-10 from Starlan.  Starlan is
>	ISO(?), while Starlan-10 is OSI.

Not quite.  The old starlan connecting the 3b2's and 3b1's is URP.  You
can upgrade the 3B2 software which will allow it to connect over the
10-1 bridge to your Starlan-10 units.  In case no one has told you
yet, you *can't* upgrade the 3b1 software, but then you didn't have
RFS on the 3b1's anyway.

>    A local information source added that the SVR3.2 upgrade for the
>    /400s and /600s will mean an expensive motherboard upgrade.

Not true.  I'm running 3.2 on some very old /300's and /400s with
no hardware changes.

>    I haven't installed StarGROUP on the 3b2/600 yet as it will
>    prevent it from talking to the 3b2/400s, some of which are
>    still running DOS servers and can't yet be upgraded.

You can upgrade everything except the 3B1's and make them all one
big happy family using the OSI versions of RFS and DOS Servers on
all the 386's and 3B2's, and version 3.x of the PC client software.
I wasn't thrilled at having to dump the 3B1 DOS servers either, but
from experience I can say that one 386 DOS server will replace 2
3B1's and give a performance boost as well.

Les Mikesell
 les@chinet.chi.il.us

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Nov27.224422.16915@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <1989Nov22.160616.10272@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>=In article <1989Nov21.134118.11677@nebulus> root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>=>root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>=>>Is there a need to change the software on the 3B2s?
>=
>=>No not at all!
>=
>=Umm... As far as I know, release 1.x of the starlan drivers (which is
>=what he has on the 3b2) will *not* talk to 3.x (which is all that you
>=can get for the 386).  They can co-exist on the same wire and there
>=is a software-bridge product available, but to use rfs he's going to
>=have to upgrade to release 3.2 starlan on the 3B2.
>=
>=Les Mikesell
>=  les@chinet.chi.il.us
>
>Oh, oh!  Will "he" have to upgrade anything else?  Does RFS/Starlan 3.2
>run on SVR3.1, for example?

If you have the latest version of the transport provider (ie,
StarGROUP), it will run on all previous versions of System V Release
3.x Unix.  The current version of the StarGROUP software is 3.2, and
it runs on Unix System V Releases 3.1, 3.1.1, 3.2, 3.2.1, and 3.2.2.
That's pretty straight forward.

The interesting one is that the "point" release numbers of NSU, RFS,
and Unix should all match.  For instance on 3.1.x Unix, you need NSU
version 1.1 and RFS version 1.1 (if you want to run RFS).  On 3.2.x
versions of Unix, you need NSU version 1.2 and RFS version 1.2.  You
only need RFS if you want to run RFS; for instance you could run UUCP
and CU over Starlan with just Unix, the StarGROUP Network Program, and
NSU.  The dependency could be viewed as NSU is dependent upon the Unix
version, and RFS is dependent upon the version of NSU.  The version of
the transport software is independent of the Unix, NSU, or RFS version

An analogous situation exists for TCP/IP; if you have TCP/IP 3.01 it
runs on all 3.x versions of Unix, but you need to make sure the
"point" versions of Unix match the "point" versions of NSU and RFS.

BTW, for those that don't know NSU is the Networking Support Utilities
and provides Streams and the Transport Layer Interface (TLI).

This is true for both 386 and 3B2 Unix.

Hope this clears things up,

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Complementary Channel Sales Support