[comp.sys.att] 7300 and 9600 baud modems

dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) (11/22/89)

I am evaluating 9600 baud modems to attach to the serial
port on my 7300 for terminal emulation.  I currently
have a Microcom QX/12K I am using on loan and it seems to me
that I am not getting 9600 baud throughput even though all
the status indicators say such.  Can I assume that the 7300
can (using cu) keep up with 9600 baud on the serial line?
I would think any decent computer including my Apple IIE
could handle this.

My reason for doubting is that a full screen update takes on order
of 5-6 seconds, I am used to about 2-3 seconds when running full
bore on a direct connect terminal at work, running a true 9600 baud.
Also, I realize that the Microcom is not a real 9600 baud modem
(it uses 3 to 1 data compression on a 4000 baud interface), but
before I start trying other modems, I need to verify that the 7300
isn't the real bottle neck.

I would appreciate Anyone using 9600 on a 7300 giving some
feedback about what they see.

thanks in advance

dale

...!uunet!convex!dale

still working on fancy signature line.

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (11/23/89)

In article <3311@convex.UUCP> dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) writes:

>I am evaluating 9600 baud modems to attach to the serial
>port on my 7300 for terminal emulation.  I currently
>have a Microcom QX/12K I am using on loan and it seems to me
>that I am not getting 9600 baud throughput even though all
>the status indicators say such.  Can I assume that the 7300
>can (using cu) keep up with 9600 baud on the serial line?
>I would think any decent computer including my Apple IIE
>could handle this.

Not true.  My Apple II+ dropped characters at 4800 baud.  And that was
straight throughput - no terminal emulator.  What really killed it was/were
carriage-returns.

>My reason for doubting is that a full screen update takes on order
>of 5-6 seconds, I am used to about 2-3 seconds when running full
>bore on a direct connect terminal at work, running a true 9600 baud.
>Also, I realize that the Microcom is not a real 9600 baud modem
>(it uses 3 to 1 data compression on a 4000 baud interface), but
>before I start trying other modems, I need to verify that the 7300
>isn't the real bottle neck.

I have never witnessed my UNIXpc (3b1 with 2.5M/40M and plenty of active
drivers including ethernet, usually 30-35 proccesses running) handling 9600
baud incoming without flow control coming into play.

But there may be other factors.  Perhaps the termcap you are using calls for
excessive padding on certain events.  In other words, the change in terminal
types may cause a difference in apparent transfer rate.

-Andy

rick@kimbal.lynn.ma.us (Rick Kimball) (11/23/89)

From article <3311@convex.UUCP>, by dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster):

> I am evaluating 9600 baud modems to attach to the serial
> port on my 7300 for terminal emulation.  I currently
> have a Microcom QX/12K I am using on loan and it seems to me
> that I am not getting 9600 baud throughput even though all
> the status indicators say such.  Can I assume that the 7300
> can (using cu) keep up with 9600 baud on the serial line?
> I would think any decent computer including my Apple IIE
> could handle this.

I read somewhere that cu can only handle about 2400 baud.  One way to
verify it would be to connect a null modem cable between the two
serial ports on your machine and do some timing tests using cu.

I've got one of my serial ports hardwired to a Macintosh. Using my
own terminal program on the Mac I can get about 18K baud zmodem
transfers.

How about using pcomm instead?  It does a nice vt100 emulation
and supports all the popular transfer protocols.

Rick Kimball              INTERNET: rick@kimbal.lynn.ma.us
                              UUCP: ...!spdcc!kimbal!rick, ...!spt!kimbal!rick
Personal USENET Site          POTS: (617) 599-8864

jb@altair.uucp (John Birchfield) (11/24/89)

In article <1075@kimbal.lynn.ma.us> rick@kimbal.lynn.ma.us (Rick Kimball) writes:
>From article <3311@convex.UUCP>, by dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster):
>>
>> I am evaluating 9600 baud modems to attach to the serial
>> port on my 7300 for terminal emulation. ...
>
>I read somewhere that cu can only handle about 2400 baud.  One way to
>verify it would be to connect a null modem cable between the two
>serial ports on your machine and do some timing tests using cu.

Another thought ...
If you are using ua (the user agent) instead of having multiple gettys
for different windows your screen updating will be significantly slower
with cu - I remember that cu became a whole lot better to use after
I trashed ua. I still use pcomm 'cause it's a lot more flexible.

| John Birchfield                   1575 Quail Ct., Turlock, CA  95380 |
| jb@altair.csustan.edu             Tel:  (209) 634-6243               |

Dale Lancaster in <3311@convex.UUCP> laments the apparent slow data transfer
while evaluating a Microcom QX/12K modem at 9600 baud on his UNIXPC.

The "problem" (as it were) is the window driver for the UNIXPC and its s-l-o-w
screen writes.

The UNIXPC itself is more than capable of handling 19,200 baud over its
serial port(s).

Lenny Tropiano (and others) have Telebit modems which, in PEP mode, have been
reported by them as successfully and continuously achieving true data rates
in excess of 1100 bytes per second over the serial port.

I use Digicom 9624LE V.32 modems and also enjoy the same data rates, as I also
do with direct-connect serial-serial connections to other computers from the
UNIXPC.

The above transfer rates are for uucp (either e or g protocol) and, as I've
also verified, for zmodem.

Dale hinted he was using ``cu'' for his tests, and my recollection of cu's
docs is that cu artificially slows the data rates so you can read what's
appearing on the screen!  :-)

The combination of cu's throttling-back and the window manager's slowness
will produce the apparent slowness observed by Dale.

As a suggestion for modem evaluation, get a second modem and call into your
UNIXPC from a { system | terminal } which is known to meet your specs, and
THEN evaluate the throughput.  I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

As another suggestion when evaluating modems or whatever, if you have a
modern terminal emulating a VT100(tm DEC), do NOT select VT100 mode when
you log into your UNIX system; select, instead, DT80 which is a VT100
without all the brain-damage.  In other words, DT80 mode does not have to
send the humongous number of pad characters to accomodate the slow 8080
in a real VT100.

The DT80 terminal (yes, I have some) is properly known as a DT80/1 and was
manufactured by Datamedia Corp.  It is one of the few PERFECT clones (and
without the bugs) of a VT100.

And when I say ``PERFECT'', I mean it.  I have the Per Lindberg VT100
validation suite, and the DT80 passes.   99.999% of the terminals and/or the
terminal-emulators available in the world today will FAIL the Per Lindberg
test within just a few seconds (and the test normally takes approx. 10 minutes
to run to completion).

``dt80'' is available in all termcap and terminfo data bases I've seen (i.e.
it's on the UNIXPC, SysV, HPUX, etc.)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (11/24/89)

In article <3311@convex.UUCP> dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) writes:

> I am evaluating 9600 baud modems to attach to the serial
> port on my 7300 for terminal emulation...

That reminds me - the Telebit Trailblazer discount deal lasts only until
the end of December.  They're available to half-price ($672.50 for the TB+)
to folks with valid domain addresses (which are easy to get - just contact
Ann Westine at ISI (westine@isi.edu)).  For more details on the 'blazer
deal, contact Tessie Ople at Telebit (tessie@telebit.com).

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with Telebit, Inc. whatsoever.  However,
I am about to order a Trailblazer for my own use.

--
Gary S. Trujillo			      gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts		      {wjh12,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/24/89)

Cu is not a good way to judge the throughput of your serial
connection.  One obvious problem is that if you are logged in at
the console of the UnixPC, you are using /dev/w... for tty output.
The window driver has to do processing of the escape sequences, and
deal with the bitmap of the window to display the output.  Chances
are, what you are seeing are the delays of the console driver and
not the modem/port itself.

There are also two flavors of cu.  The stock cu that comes with the
machine writes each character to stdout as it is received.  This is
s-l-o-w, and in fact can't even keep u with a 1200 buad modem.  The
cu that comes with Honey DanBer uucp is much better.  It buffers
something like 64 characters and writes them to stdout all at once.
Of course, there is a time-out such that the characters are written
anyway after a certain delay, even if an entire 64 aren't received.
The HDB cu can keep up close to 4800 baud output to the console.

Speaking of uucp, there's the ticket for gauging throughput more
fairly.  You have to make sure that you send big files though, as
the LOGFILE or xferstats includes the overhead of closing the file
in the char/sec times it reports.  30Kbyte minimum files for fair
resuls are needed.  My tests show that a UnixPC can keep up a
steady rate of 1200-1400 char/sec in uucp if there aren't any other
piggy processes running.  With smart high speed modems, the best
results obtain when the CPU feeds the modem at a higher rate than
the physical transport will support, and allowing the modem to
mediate flow.  This works particularly well with the uucp spoofing
in the Trailblazer mdoem since the uucp packets are small, and the
modem can mediate flow by simply stopping ACKing packets for a
while.  Uucp will gag if the modem inserts an Xoff (control S)
character in the data stream in attempt to do in-band flow control.
While not pure ANSI RS232 spec, the Unix C does do hardware flow
control with the RTS/CTS modem leads.  The RS232 spec defines the
leads only for initial handshake, so the Unix PC is in essence an
upward compatible extension of the standard.  The default for
hardware flow control is OFF.  The tty driver defaults to xon/xoff
flow control.  Use /etc/hfc +/dev/tty00x to endable HFC.  One side
effect is that you can not have your cake and eat it too.  You will
lose xon/xoff recognition when you turn on HFC.  With the
Trailblazer, it is best to leave xon/xoff enabled, since the
packets are small enough in uucp to not need flow control.

For the record, the only terminal I have used that actually has full
cursor addressability and all the bells and whistles of a smart
terminal AND can keep up a steady 9600 baud throughput without any
flow control is an HP 2645.  Of course, there may be others, but
the 2645 is the only one I have seen.  The 2645 was designed around
1976, and has a TTL bit slice processor; it is also about the size
of a Yugo.

An Apple ][ will not come anywhere close to displaying at 9600 baud
on its console if you use the I/O routines in the monitor ROM.
This is espically true if you have an Apple //e - enhanced model
with the 65C02 and new ROMs with mouse support.  The ROMs switch
off interrupts for ~30 mS at various points so the mouse can be
read (like when you write a CR to the display).  I know about this
from an Apple program I wrote that had to keep track of a A/D board
and write to the console at the same time.  It was a major pain in
the neck on that machine.  Even a program like Proterm that doesn't
use the monitor I/O can't keep up becasue too much CPU time is
required to swap bytes around in the screen character buffer to
effect scrolling ... especially true if the 80 column screen is in
use on a //e.  Put a data monitor on the Tx leads of your apple and
then cat a file to it at 9600; chances are good that the comm
program will be sending a lot of xon/xoff to keep from dropping
characters.  Don't feel bad; a VT-240 will start to send xon/xoff
at 2400 buad in text mode even without any cursor addressing!

Cheers,
Bill

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/25/89)

In article <24425@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
|[...]
|And when I say ``PERFECT'', I mean it.  I have the Per Lindberg VT100
|validation suite, and the DT80 passes.   99.999% of the terminals and/or the
|terminal-emulators available in the world today will FAIL the Per Lindberg
|test within just a few seconds (and the test normally takes approx. 10 minutes
|to run to completion).

	Is this validation suite available, and
	if so, is it public domain, or shareware?

Thanks for any info,
--
   ^^ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/26/89)

In article <1841@neoucom.UUCP>, I write:

> While not pure ANSI RS232 spec, the Unix C does do hardware flow
>                                     ^^^^^^
> control with the RTS/CTS modem leads.

In the sentence above, "Unix C," should read, "Unix PC".  The P key
on my 3b1 was sticking and dropping the letter P here and there.
That one escaped my detection as I was typing.

The C compiler per se has nothing to do with support of any
particular flow control.  I just wanted to clear that up.

I took off the keycap on the P and doused the key post with
alcohol.  The weird thing is that the Unix PC keyboard is
ferromagnetic sensing (like core memory), and as long as the button
goes down, everything should work OK.  It appeared that the key
depressed normally, but failed to register a keystroke about 1/2
the time.  After clean-up everything was fine ... eventhough the
qualitative feel was the same before and after cleaning.  Hmmm....

Bill

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (11/26/89)

In article <24425@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>without all the brain-damage.  In other words, DT80 mode does not have to
>send the humongous number of pad characters to accomodate the slow 8080
>in a real VT100.

The real VT100s have an 8037 micrcontroller (it's a preprogrammed MCU),
not an 8080 (at least mine doesn't anyhow...).  They do use some 8080-type
support chips though to do some of the work.

On an aside, this *is* the reason why the DEC VT100 is so slow.  The
VT220s I think might also use MCUs, but it's MUCH faster, and will
show 19.2K really well!

Also note, in line with what Thad has already said, using a terminal
on the UNIX-pc rather than the built-in display for just text-based
stuff, like reading the news, is definitely faster.  The VT100 I use
at 9600 baud (because of the speed problem) in the living room is
still faster than the 3B1 display!

A problem I *have* noticed is calling at Trailblazer speed to a system
from my VT100 *through* the UNIX-pc results in many lost characters
on my receiving end.  I'm not sure whether this is due to the 3B1 not
being able to handle 2 serial ports at high-speed, or the VT100 being
too slow and causing too many characters to be queued-up at the device
driver level.  In any event, forcing the Telebit speed to 9600 baud
doesn't fix the problem.

Gil.

-----

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/26/89)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>In article <1841@neoucom.UUCP>, I write:
>In the sentence above, "Unix C," should read, "Unix PC".  The P key
>on my 3b1 was sticking and dropping the letter P here and there.
>That one escaped my detection as I was typing.

>I took off the keycap on the P and doused the key post with
>alcohol.  The weird thing is that the Unix PC keyboard is
>ferromagnetic sensing (like core memory), and as long as the button
>goes down, everything should work OK.  It appeared that the key

Sometimes there is some dirt that prevents the button from going down
all the way.  It doesn't take that much distance (less than a
millimeter) to prevent the magnetic sensing from working.  By dousing it
with alcohol you probably washed the dirt away.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (11/28/89)

In article <581@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>A problem I *have* noticed is calling at Trailblazer speed to a system
>from my VT100 *through* the UNIX-pc results in many lost characters
>on my receiving end.  I'm not sure whether this is due to the 3B1 not
>being able to handle 2 serial ports at high-speed, or the VT100 being
>too slow and causing too many characters to be queued-up at the device
>driver level.  In any event, forcing the Telebit speed to 9600 baud
>doesn't fix the problem.

I use a Wyse 50+ as a terminal on my 3B1 and I run it at 19.2K baud (anyone
know how to get 38.4K baud out of the serial ports?).  The terminal is hooked
up to one port of the combo card and the 'blazer is on the other port.  I've
called other systems at PEP speeds using the terminal and I always lose
characters, but if I call using the console everything is ok.  I have the
'blazer talking to the 3B1 at 19.2K so there isn't a speed mismatch between the
terminal and modem.  I've also noticed that I don't get any speed degregation
on the terminal when I've got a uucp transfer taking place on the modem so I
doubt that the device driver is at fault.  I know the terminal can handle the
speed because I've used it with other systems at 38.4K baud without any
problems.  Any other ideas?
		-mark
--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!mnetor!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (11/29/89)

In article <581@limbic.UUCP>, gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:

> A problem I *have* noticed is calling at Trailblazer speed to a system
> from my VT100 *through* the UNIX-pc results in many lost characters
> on my receiving end.  I'm not sure whether this is due to the 3B1 not
> being able to handle 2 serial ports at high-speed, or the VT100 being
> too slow and causing too many characters to be queued-up at the device
> driver level.  In any event, forcing the Telebit speed to 9600 baud
> doesn't fix the problem.

I have a comment and a question.

The comment: here at Wesleyan U., which uses lots of VT220's and VT320's,
the recommendation is always to set up the Communications Setup screen
with the Limited (as opposed to Unlimited) Transmit option.  Perhaps
changing your choice there (whichever you've chosen) _may_ help you stop
losing characters.

The question: may I assume that "calling at Trailblazer speed" directly
from the UNIX-pc is essentially error-free for you?  (This I ask because
I'm just now contemplating taking up Telebit on their 1/2-price TB+ offer,
for use with my UNIX-pc, and I don't want to have to run it at 2400 on
account of lost characters at higher speeds.)

Thanks for listening.	-- Fred (FLinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU) Linton

jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (John McMillan) (11/29/89)

In article <4197@eagle.wesleyan.edu> flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>In article <581@limbic.UUCP>, gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>>
>> A problem I *have* noticed is calling at Trailblazer speed to a system
>> from my VT100 *through* the UNIX-pc results in many lost characters
>> on my receiving end.  I'm not sure whether this is due to the 3B1 not
>> being able to handle 2 serial ports at high-speed, or the VT100 being
>> too slow and causing too many characters to be queued-up at the device
>> driver level.  In any event, forcing the Telebit speed to 9600 baud
>> doesn't fix the problem.

	Answer:  The 3B1 suffers overrun of the RS232 chip input
		buffers (3) while driving an RS232 output device.

		I do not LIKE the above fact, but I've found no
		solution to it.  There are just too few CPU cycles
		to handle all the interrupt-driven processing.
		Attempts to solve this have failed.

		If you were displaying the data on the console,
		the problem would not occur.

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm -- saying "Good Byte for Now..."

hybl@mbph.UUCP (Albert Hybl Dept of Biophysics SM) (11/30/89)

In message: <581@limbic.UUCP> from gil@limbic.UUCP, Gil Kloepfer Jr.
writes:
>A problem I *have* noticed is calling at Trailblazer speed to a system
>from my VT100 *through* the UNIX-pc results in many lost characters
>on my receiving end.  I'm not sure whether this is due to the 3B1 not
>being able to handle 2 serial ports at high-speed, or the VT100 being
>too slow and causing too many characters to be queued-up at the device
>driver level.  In any event, forcing the Telebit speed to 9600 baud
>doesn't fix the problem.  | Gil Kloepfer, Jr.

I have a similar problem when communicating through an intermediate
host.  While attempting to isolate the problem, I did the
following:  first, from machine hybl (a 3B1 with the old uucp), I
"cu -l/dev/ph1 328xxxx" to machine unix65 (a unix-pc 7300 with HDB);
second, from unix65, I "cu mbph | tee cu.mbph" over a direct connection
at 9600 baud using the tty000 port (mbph is a 3B2 with HDB); third,
I did a few "ls -CF" operations to demonstrate dropped characters.
The characters that were obviously missing from the output displayed
on the monitor of machine hybl were also missing from file cu.mbph.
This suggests that the intermediate host is not able to properly
control the flow of characters from mbph.    Why?

If I login directly to machine mbph from either machine unix65 or hybl,
I can "cd /" then "ls -sailFR" and watch the output scroll faultlessly
by on the monitor.  A portion from file cu.mbph follows: (I have
added some annotation to the file.)

> $ ls -CF
> Configure*     README         filexp*        patch.c        util.h
> EXTERN.h       all            inp.c          patch.man      version.c
> INTERh       common.h       inp.h          patchlevel.h   version.h
      ^^ Two characters lost from here
> MANIFEST       config.H       message        pch.c
> Makefile       config.h       myread         pch.h
> Makefile.SH    config.sh      patch*         util.c

> $ ls -CF
> Configure*     README         filexp*        patch.c        util.h
> EXTERN.h       all            inp.c          patch.man      version.c
> INTERh       common.h       inp.h          patchlevel.h   version.h
      ^^ It is reproducible
> MANIFEST       config.H       message        pch.c
> Makefile       config.h       myread         pch.h
> Makefile.SH    config.sh      patch*         util.c

> $ ls -CF I*
> INTERN.h
       ^^    These are the lost characters.

Thanks,
Albert Hybl, PhD.              Office UUCP: uunet!mimsy!mbph!hybl
Department of Biophysics       Home   UUCP: uunet!mimsy!mbph!hybl!ah
University of Maryland                CoSy: ahybl
School of Medicine             Office Phone: (301) 328-7940
Baltimore, MD  21201           Home   Phone: (301) 243-1710
Responders--DO NOT USE:  hybl@cs.umd.edu  or  ah@cs.umd.edu

elliston@msdrl.UUCP (Keith Elliston) (11/30/89)

Where can i get ahold of pcomm, and is it commercial or PD?

Thanks

Keith

uunet!msdrl!elliston

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (11/30/89)

In article <4197@eagle.wesleyan.edu> flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>The comment: here at Wesleyan U., which uses lots of VT220's and VT320's,
>the recommendation is always to set up the Communications Setup screen
>with the Limited (as opposed to Unlimited) Transmit option.  Perhaps
>changing your choice there (whichever you've chosen) _may_ help you stop
>losing characters.

In the unix-pc.general newsgroup, someone mentioned that in the way the
machine was designed that it was incapable of running both serial ports
in this manner at the same time.

The solution is one I mentioned at Usenix in June which was to make an
intelligent ports card for the UNIX-pc.  Good luck! :-)

>The question: may I assume that "calling at Trailblazer speed" directly
>from the UNIX-pc is essentially error-free for you?
>[...]and I don't want to have to run it at 2400 on account of lost
> characters at higher speeds.)
>Thanks for listening.	-- Fred (FLinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU) Linton

Communications between a serial port and the console are relatively (if
not completely) flawless.  If you set-up your Trailblazer according to
Lenny Tropiano's tb-setup scripts and use hardware flow control, you
can (to any reasonable expectation) assume that the Trailblazer is as
good as being there.  I, myself, have never gotten ANY line noise running
using PEP, but I definitely have at 2400 baud.

If you need the tb-setup script, check-out the posting I made to the unix-pc
distribution about the ICUS archives, or e-mail me for more information.

-----
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.
| ICUS Software Systems/Bowne Management Systems (depending on where I am)
| ...ames!limbic!gil

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/02/89)

I don't have any problems with my Trailblzer on my 3b1.  I've been
using a TB since 11/1987.  I started with one of the old version
3.1 TBs and then switched to the white-cased TB+.

The problem of over-runs happens when you use in-band signaling
with xon/xoff.  There is a ~30K byte buffer in the TB, and it can
take a couple of seconds for the host on the other end to see your
xoff.  The Unix PC can use the RTS/CTS leads for signaling flow
control, and the TB modem can be used to send the RTS/CTS lead
status outside of the serial data stream when it is talking in PEP
fast mode.  This works great when you have two Unix PCs talking
together, but you have to make sure that both Unix PCs and
Trailblazers are set up correctly, obviously :-).  The Unix PC
won't do RTS/CTS signaling until you turn it on with /etc/hfc.
When you have hfc on, you don't get xon/xoff recognition.  The
problem of over-runs really isn't the fault of the Unix PC, but
rather the delays cuased as in-band signally ripples through the
buffers at each end.  The Unix PC seems to be able to keep up with
a 9600 baud input as long as you aren't trying to view the result
on /dev/w* on the console.  At 19.2K port speed, you can get actual
throughputs of around 11,400 buad before the system starts to get
behind.

When I talk to the Vax at work, I have to settle for xon/xoff, and
I occasionally get over-runs when catting some immense file. But
no problem for stuff like more and kermit that are essentially
self-regulating or limit blobs of transmission to less than 30K at
a time.  Feeding from the Vax at 9600 to my Unix PC at 19.2K and
letting the Trailblazer packetization handle the float, I can do a
~%take in cu and not lose anything.  Obviously a ~%put doesn't work
to the Vax, but does work between Unix PCs.  Uucp is no problem
since the Trailblazer does the protocol spoofing.

You would have to be very persuasive to get me to give up my
Trailblazer; I think I'd listen if you had a loaded Colt .45 or
something like that, I suppose.

'nuff said.

Bill
wtm@neoucom.edu

jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (John McMillan) (12/05/89)

In article <1846@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>I don't have any problems with my Trailblzer on my 3b1.  I've been
>using a TB since 11/1987.  I started with one of the old version
>3.1 TBs and then switched to the white-cased TB+.

	I'm totally 8-) for you!

>The problem of over-runs happens when you use in-band signaling
>with xon/xoff.

	There are three principle overruns:
		- RS-232 Chip overruns
		- 'seriobuf' overruns
		- C-list overruns

	The former occur when the duration of "high-level" interrupts
	exceeds ~2 * receive-time for a single character.  This
	*DOES* occur, and it's easy to produce using a terminal
	off any port to CU to another system at 9600 baud.
	Just CAT a file and watch the bytes get lost.  Then do
	a "~%take" into a file: all characters will be received,
	indicating it was the load associated with the DISPLAY of the
	characters to the terminal that induced the chip-overrun.

	'seriobuf' overflow occurs when sustained low-level interrupts
	prevent the unloading of this temporary buffer into the
	C-list mechanism.

	C-list overruns occur when the CPU-usage is so high that
	user programs cannot read the data as fast as it is
	arriving and the C-list use-limits are being circumvented.
	Flow-Control (H/W or S/W) can deal with this, and only with this.

The preceding comments are probably flawed -- I've other things to
deal with -- but they're pretty accurate!-)

john mcmillan -- att!mtunb!jcm	-- tic-toc-tic-toc...

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (12/05/89)

In article <583@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <4197@eagle.wesleyan.edu> flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>If you need the tb-setup script, check-out the posting I made to the unix-pc
>distribution about the ICUS archives, or e-mail me for more information.

One thing I recently discovered (I feal stupid) is that you have to go to
some effort to support MNP. If you want to dial out to an MNP modem, and
force an MNP connect, set S95=1. If you want ALL dial-ins to be MNP only,
also set S95=1. If you want incoming connects to be MNP if they can do it,
set S95=2. Use ONLY S95=0 to connect out to a UNIXpc 1200 baud and other stupid
modems. I now have two sets of dialers in the Dialers file. I then configure
the proper dialer on a per-system basis in the Systems file. You will notice
the modem stay in audio monitor mode a few seconds longer with S95!=0, until
the MNP handshake completes. MNP is great for quiet terminal users. I don't
know what effect using MNP has on UUCP throughput.

I goofed with other UUCP protocols with HDB. The version of HDB we have only
seems to support "e" and "g" protocols. The TB only spoofs "g" protocol, and
"e" drives it crazy. This part is where the protocol arbitration happens:

---
msg-ROK
 Rmtname oink, Role MASTER,  Ifn - 6, Loginuser - jbm
rmesg - 'P' got Pge
                 ^^
wmesg 'U'g
         ^
Proto started g
              ^
---

The set of protocols you allow for connections to a certain machine is
specified in the Systems file, as a comma subfield of the device name:
system Any pep,eg Any ...
              ^^^
The protoset may also be put after the same name in the Devices file.

Anybody know what the "e" protocol is supposed to be used with? STARLAN?

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (12/07/89)

In article <620@uncle.UUCP> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>Anybody know what the "e" protocol is supposed to be used with? STARLAN?

The 'e' protocol is for use over Error-free transports such as a TCP connection,
Starlan, etc.  It basically sends the file length and then just does write()s
at the port, and assumes the medium will deliver it intact.  I suppose if you
turned off spoofing that the Telebits could handle it, but you'd have to watch
out for characters dropped between the modem and host.

>John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
>(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!

						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming Tools Group
UUCP: ...!att!mtune!rkh			DDD: (201)957-6034
Internet:   rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T Bell Labs, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) in <620@uncle.UUCP> writes:

	Anybody know what the "e" protocol is supposed to be used with? STARLAN?

Yep, the "e" protocol works fine with StarLAN.  Before Lenny clued me into
this (we both bought the StarLAN cards during that special deal during October)
,
my /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats file was showing a MAX of only 2000 bytes
per second (this is with the "g" protocol); switching to "e" protocol raised
the speed to an average of 30,000 bytes/second (15 times faster) over the
StarLAN connection.  I have four StarLAN NAUs, one in each of four UNIXPCs,
on the same LAN with two RS-232c-NAUs (aka NIU, for terminals, modems, etc.)
and it all works fine.

Some things weren't immediately obvious at first (requiring a LOT of research
to figure out solutions to some problems), but what I finally ended up with
was the following (skeleton form for clarity).  The original problem I had was
"cu" not working over StarLAN; the solution was the split of the Systems files
per the entries in Sysfiles.  I was almost about to patch the "cu" program to
NOT request service code 101 and instead use service code 1 (remote login)
when I found some docs in the SysVR3.2 manuals that started me thinking.  Hope
the following gives ideas and helps someone else.  The "split" also straigtened
out the "uuname" displays, so now one can do:

	$ uuname -l	# for local system name
	thadlabs
	$ uuname	# for uucico connections
	thadlabs
	tlabs3
	tlabs4
	tlabs5
	$ uuname -c	# for cu connections
	thadlabs
	tlabs3
	tlabs4
	tlabs5

Devices extraction:

	#
	STARLAN starlan - Any STARLAN
	Direct tty002 - Any direct
	Direct tty003 - Any direct
	Direct tty004 - Any direct
	Direct tty000 - Any direct
	ACU ph0 ph0 1200 PC7300 \T
	STARLAN_NAU,eg starlan - Any STARLAN \D.serve pc_uucp
	STARLAN_UU,eg starlan - Any STARLAN \D.serve SLAN_uucico

Sysfiles extraction:

	service=cu	systems=Systems.cu:Systems \
			devices=Devices \
			dialers=Dialers

	service=uucico	systems=Systems.uucico:Systems \
			devices=Devices.hop:Devices \
			dialers=Dialers:Dialers.SW:Dialers.ACU

Systems file has the "normal", non-StarLAN entries.

Systems.cu extraction:

	# StarLAN entries for cu activity
	#
	thadlabs Any STARLAN - thadlabs "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	#
	tlabs3 Any STARLAN - tlabs3 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs4 Any STARLAN - tlabs4 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs5 Any STARLAN - tlabs5 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp

Systems.uucico extraction:

	# StarLAN entries for uucico activity
	#
	thadlabs Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - thadlabs "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	#
	tlabs3 Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - tlabs3 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs4 Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - tlabs4 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp
	tlabs5 Any STARLAN_NAU,eg - tlabs5 "" \r\d\r in:--in: nuucp

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]