[comp.sys.att] DOS & UNIX co-existence on AT&T 6386s: guidelines sought

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (12/21/89)

Subject line pretty much says it.  We are getting a bunch of 6386s
(6386/25 WGS and 6383E/33) on which we'd like to run both DOS 3.3
and UNIX V 3.2.2.  Are there any special tricks for doing so?
My initial plan is to build a moderate DOS partition on one of the
drives (all machines will have 2 ESDI drives) and be able to boot
into either DOS (not Simultask; regular DOS) or UNIX.

As far as I know, the 6386s do not have inherent dual-boot capability,
so I plan to have the primary UNIX partition as the boot partition
and boot DOS from floppy when needed.  Is this off-base?  Can I have
a DOS partition sitting on one of the drives that comes into play
only when I boot from a DOS diskette, and have all of the UNIX
partitions recognizeable when I boot UNIX?

I expect that a number of people have tried such things.  As I think
this would be of general interest, posted responses are fine.  Email's
fine, too -- I will summarize any email responses.  (If any email
respondents want their comments *omitted* from a summary, say so in
the email).

Also, any configuration tips/advice would be appreciated.  (Email)

Quick note on the planned configurations:

   6386/25                                6386/33
------------------                   ------------------
16 MB memory                         16-24 MB memory
1 135MB ESDI drive                   2 300 MB ESDI drives
1 300MB ESDI drive

                        both
                        ----
          AT&T UNIX System V/386 Rel 3.2.2  and MS-DOS 3.3
          AT&T 125MB Streaming tape unit
          AT&T 329M VGA card & VDC600 VGA monitor
          AT&T 2400 baud external modem
          Consensys PowerPorts 16-terminal serial controller
          Consensys PowerStor caching ESDI disk controller
          3Com 3C503 Ethernet card (also for use with PC-NFS under DOS)

Thanks in advance.

--
  Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.    "We're homeward bound
       {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland               ('tis a damn fine sound!)

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (12/23/89)

In article <2892@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:

>As far as I know, the 6386s do not have inherent dual-boot capability,
>so I plan to have the primary UNIX partition as the boot partition
>and boot DOS from floppy when needed.  Is this off-base?  Can I have
>a DOS partition sitting on one of the drives that comes into play
>only when I boot from a DOS diskette, and have all of the UNIX
>partitions recognizeable when I boot UNIX?

You could also have MSDOS on the first partition, and boot
MSDOS off the hard disk.  But /dev/swap will perform better if
MSDOS is a non-bootable partition farther out on the disk (ie,
/dev/swap will be on the faster inner tracks).  If you aren't
swapping you won't notice the difference though......

Now here's where I started to wonder....

>Quick note on the planned configurations:
>
>   6386/25                                6386/33
>------------------                   ------------------
>16 MB memory                         16-24 MB memory
>1 135MB ESDI drive                   2 300 MB ESDI drives
>1 300MB ESDI drive
>
>                        both
>                        ----
>          AT&T UNIX System V/386 Rel 3.2.2  and MS-DOS 3.3
>          AT&T 125MB Streaming tape unit
>          AT&T 329M VGA card & VDC600 VGA monitor
>          AT&T 2400 baud external modem

You're okay (as far as I know) to here...

>          Consensys PowerPorts 16-terminal serial controller

The last time I checked, these cards require a 512K shared memory area
that starts on a 512K boundary.  This limits you to a 12 MB of RAM
configuration, because the 6386/33 supports 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 28, 32
and 40 MB configurations.  Since you need to have a 512K segment for
the card between 0 and 16 MB, you need to have the next lowest memory
configuration; ie, 12 MB.  On the older Olivetti 6386's it was
possible to create a memory "hole" for cards; this isn't possible on
the 6386/SX, 6386/25, 6386/33, or Model S.  If you install the
Consensys card in a 6386/SX/25/33 with more than 12 MB you won't be
able to address the Consensys card.  I suggest you try another card
vendor that uses 64K of RAM on 64k boundaries (ie, it will fit between
512K and 1 MB) such as the Computone, Bell Technologies, or AT&T IPC
1600.

>          Consensys PowerStor caching ESDI disk controller

Don't know if this will work, we use the Western Digital 1007A-WA2.

>          3Com 3C503 Ethernet card (also for use with PC-NFS under DOS)

AT&T doesn't have and doesn't sell Unix drivers for the 3C503.  AT&T
has two separate and distinct TCP/IP platforms for 386 Unix; we only
support the AT&T TCP/IP Interface for Unix (ie, Micom/Racal-Interlan
product) or the Wollongong Integrated Networking (WIN) TCP/IP 386
over an AT&T StarLAN 10 NAU, EN100, or Fiber NAU card.

Hope you were already aware of these items.  Hope you have a happy
holiday season !

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Tier 3 Complementary Channel Sales Support

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (12/29/89)

In article <4380@cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee@cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee) writes:
>In article <2892@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>> <various planned hardware>
>
>You're okay (as far as I know) to here...
>
>>          Consensys PowerPorts 16-terminal serial controller
>
>The last time I checked, these cards require a 512K shared memory area
>that starts on a 512K boundary.  This limits you to a 12 MB of RAM
>configuration, because the 6386/33 supports 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 28, 32
>and 40 MB configurations.  Since you need to have a 512K segment for
>the card between 0 and 16 MB, you need to have the next lowest memory
>configuration; ie, 12 MB.  On the older Olivetti 6386's it was

This is no longer the case with the current versions of the boards.
Now, all they need is an 8K window, which can come out of "high
memory" (640K-1024K).  They claim that this (default) configuration
works fine on the Intel-made 6386s.  (Anybody got a map of memory
usage between 640K and 1024K on the Intel-made 6386s?)

>>          Consensys PowerStor caching ESDI disk controller
>
>Don't know if this will work, we use the Western Digital 1007A-WA2.

Since the machines come with the WD card, I will have those to fall
back on in case the PowerStor doesn't work or doesn't provide enough
benefit to be worth the $.  (Each machine will be running dual 300 MB
drives).

>>          3Com 3C503 Ethernet card (also for use with PC-NFS under DOS)
>
>AT&T doesn't have and doesn't sell Unix drivers for the 3C503.  AT&T
>has two separate and distinct TCP/IP platforms for 386 Unix; we only
>support the AT&T TCP/IP Interface for Unix (ie, Micom/Racal-Interlan
>product) or the Wollongong Integrated Networking (WIN) TCP/IP 386
>over an AT&T StarLAN 10 NAU, EN100, or Fiber NAU card.

That's a shame.  This means that there is no single card which supports
both AT&T TCP/IP and PC-NFS.  I ordered the 3C503 because they were
on everybody else's compatibility lists (SCO, Interactive, ESIX, etc.),
and originally we weren't going for AT&T machines because of ship
delays on the 33 MHz models.  But, they came around just in time (just
got 'em yesterday, in fact).

Does anybody know if there is a way to use these cards with AT&T Sys
V/386 (maybe using "foreign" [gasp!] drivers)?  Otherwise, we'll
probably just live without UNIX-UNIX ethernet on these boxes for
the forseeable future (sigh).

>Hope you were already aware of these items.  Hope you have a happy
>holiday season !

Well, thanks for the help in any case.  As the Consensys stuff seems to
be kind of an unknown entity, I'll report back on how they work.

>Frank McGee, AT&T     Tier 3 Complementary Channel Sales Support

--
  Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.    "We're homeward bound
       {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland               ('tis a damn fine sound!)
 --------------------------------------------    with a good ship, taut & free
  Disclaimer:  These opinions are mine alone.    We don't give a damn,
  If I am caught or killed, the secretary        when we drink our rum
  will disavow any knowledge of my actions.      with the girls of old Maui."

dwd@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (David W. Dykstra) (01/03/90)

From article <2933@infmx.UUCP>, by aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump):
*>>          3Com 3C503 Ethernet card (also for use with PC-NFS under DOS)
*>
*
* That's a shame.  This means that there is no single card which supports
* both AT&T TCP/IP and PC-NFS.  I ordered the 3C503 because they were
* on everybody else's compatibility lists (SCO, Interactive, ESIX, etc.),
* and originally we weren't going for AT&T machines because of ship
* delays on the 33 MHz models.  But, they came around just in time (just
* got 'em yesterday, in fact).
*
* Does anybody know if there is a way to use these cards with AT&T Sys
* V/386 (maybe using "foreign" [gasp!] drivers)?  Otherwise, we'll
* probably just live without UNIX-UNIX ethernet on these boxes for
* the forseeable future (sigh).

You can buy TCP/IP which supports the 3C503 directly from Wollongong.

- Dave Dykstra
  dykstra@cs.uiuc.edu
  dwd@ihc.att.com