[comp.sys.att] How to make a tape 386 Unix boot diskette

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (02/03/90)

Chris has the right idea, I tried creating a stanza file for /etc/mkpart
but the boot (/etc/fboot) did not work. I tried to make a 3.5 inch disk
bootable. I assume you used whatever method you are comfortable with
copying the diskette so when I refer to disk 1 of 7 I mean the copy!

Insert disk 1 in the drive and check it. "fsck -y /dev/rdsk/f0" will
do a good job on it.

Go to some directory with a lot of space and mount the boot floppy.
"mount /dev/dsk/f0q15d /mnt" and cpio all of the goo over to the target
directory. We will call the new directory /usr/bootme. Then take all of
the floppies of the base system and cpio them into the /usr/bootme
directory. They all use relative paths so don't panic.

umount /mnt		# Dont forget to unmount the boot disk
cd /usr/bootme
cpio -idumv < /dev/rdsk/f0

You can now take the tape driver diskette and cpio it to /usr/tmp
This is where it can get confusing so try and bear with me. You
have to glue in the tape driver by hand into the new directory
structure. This is not hard to do.

This is the line to be editted in the mdevice file. One change has
to be made. The Driver must have a major number. To find the major
number look at the file /usr/bootme/etc/conf/cf.d/mdevice in the
same column as the "XX" here and change the "XX" to the next sequential
number (I believe it is 12 but that is OS dependant). Change the DMA
channel to that of the controller (typically 1)

* qt	Iiocrw	ioHc	qt	0	XX	0	2	DMA
qt	Iiocrw	ioHc	qt	0	12	0	2	1

Step 2 is to edit the sdevice entry and you must change the INT to the
interrupt that the tape controller is using (typically 5) and the low
address LADD to 288 and the high address to 289 (for a Wangtek controller)
get these numbers from the manual on the tape controller. If you are
using AT&T then DMA should be 1, INT should be 5, LADD = 288, HADD = 289.

* qt	Y	1	6	1	INT	LADD	HADD	0	0
qt	Y	1	6	1	5	288	289	0	0

Once the entry is complete copy this line into a file called
/usr/bootme/etc/conf/sdevice.d/qt

The next step is to set up Unix to create the nodes. To do this remount
the boot disk

mount /dev/dsk/f0 /mnt 			# leave it mounted here
mknod /mnt/dev/rmt/c0s0n c XX 0
mknod /mnt/dev/rmt/c0s0n c XX 4
mknod /mnt/dev/rmt/c0s0n c XX 8
mknod /mnt/dev/rmt/c0s0n c XX 12

and replace XX with the MAJOR number you assigned in step one!

Copy the next four lines into a directory called /usr/bootme/etc/conf/node.d/qt

	qt	rmt/c0s0n	c	0
	qt	rmt/c0s0	c	4
	qt	rmt/c0s0nr	c	8
	qt	rmt/c0s0r	c	12

Finally all you have to do is install the driver into the appropriate directory
with the following commands:

mkdir /usr/bootme/etc/conf/pack.d/qt
cp /usr/tmp/Driver.o /usr/bootme/etc/conf/pack.d/qt/Driver.o
cp /usr/tmp/Space.c /usr/bootme/etc/conf/pack.d/qt/space.c

Note the case change on the space.c file. This is important.

We are now ready to try and make a new kernel.
type:

ROOT=/usr/bootme
export ROOT
/etc/conf/bin/idbuild

If all is well the new kernel will build and link correctly. If it
breaks it will tell you exactly what is wrong. Once it is built
then type

strip /usr/bootme/etc/conf/cf.d/unix
cp /usr/bootme/etc/conf/cf.d/unix /mnt/unix

It should fit on the floppy. Don't add all kinds of drivers to it
it will not fit. I believe that there is 100 blocks or so of free
space left on the bootable disk.

take a copy of INSTALL and INSTALL2 and remove the commented out
sections of the code (and probably fix it as well :-))

Presto - installable Unix from tape. Maybe in another article I
will tell you how to put Unix on Tape. AT&T if you are listening
why did you guys not release a TAPE version of Unix. It's obvious
to me that such a copy exists by looking at the INSTALL scripts

Have Fun!

NAME:     Dennis S. Breckenridge                 UUCP: dennis@nebulus
               EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (02/05/90)

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:

>Presto - installable Unix from tape. Maybe in another article I
>will tell you how to put Unix on Tape. AT&T if you are listening
>why did you guys not release a TAPE version of Unix. It's obvious
>to me that such a copy exists by looking at the INSTALL scripts

I believe AT&T have done just that! Their new SCSI based
systems install from tape. Maybe they even boot from tape,
but I am not sure about that.
--
Pim Zandbergen                           domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                          uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (02/06/90)

In article <1687@ctisbv.cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
>

>>Presto - installable Unix from tape. Maybe in another article I
>>will tell you how to put Unix on Tape. AT&T if you are listening
>>why did you guys not release a TAPE version of Unix. It's obvious
>>to me that such a copy exists by looking at the INSTALL scripts
>
>I believe AT&T have done just that! Their new SCSI based
>systems install from tape. Maybe they even boot from tape,
>but I am not sure about that.

You can't boot from tape (ala 3b2 and non-PC systems) but you
can install Unix from tape.  Basically you boot a small kernel
from a floppy, then install everything from tape.  This
feature is provided in System V Release 3.2.2, and is intended
primarily for ESDI systems.  If you order a Model S, you will
get a SCSI boot floppy.  Unfortunately, currently that's the
only way to get a 386 Unix SCSI boot floppy (unless you have a
running system that you can roll your own on).  The Model S is
the only system we support bootable SCSI on - all other
systems offer SCSI as an add-on to an ESDI-based system.

You can order 3.2.2 as a floppy-only distribution, or as a
single floppy and a cartridge tape.  This will only boot on an
ESDI system.  If you order a Model S, Unix comes bundled with
the cpu and is already installed on the hard disk.  It does
come with a SCSI boot floppy and Unix distribution tape for
backup purposes.  The distribution tape is identical for ESDI
and SCSI systems.

Note that for this to work on ESDI systems, you have to have
your tape drive on DMA 1, IRQ 5, and I/O ports 288 and 289.

On SCSI systems, you need to be using the SCSI tape drive
(which is bundled with the Model S).  For those that are
wondering, the basic Model S configuration includes a 300 MB
SCSI disk, 120 MB SCSI cartridge tape unit, 4 MB of RAM,
Unix, and PMX/TERM.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Entry Level Systems Support

In article <4469@cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee@cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee) writes:

>You can't boot from tape (ala 3b2 and non-PC systems) but you
>can install Unix from tape.  Basically you boot a small kernel
>from a floppy, then install everything from tape.

Is there a way to copy the install diskettes to the tape for add on
packages?  I've now had to deal with 3 cases of losing everything
on a 386 hard disk (from various forms of abuse, but the disks worked
after a low-level format).  Anyway, it takes at least half a day to
get the machine back in service, especially since the FACE system
backup skips most of the installed packages.
I'd like to see a way to copy all the add-on package floppies onto a
tape so you could re-install en mass.  The install procedure could
just copy each disk image off the tape before using it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (02/10/90)

Oh well, it was inevitable that the question would be asked.
Probably the easiest way of putting the packages on tape would
be to copy them on, an archive at a time. For instance if
the first package was face (2 disks) cpio BOTH disks into
a /usr/tmp directory then type:

# find . -print | cpio -ocvC32768 > /dev/rmt/c0s0n

Notice the "c0s0n" NO REWIND device. Blow away the /usr/tmp/* stuff
and repeat until done! Play with a shell script that will install
it in this format. AT&T 3B2 Sysadm will give you some clues on this
type of media. Thier BOOTABLE tape has a boot image, a directory of
whats on the rest of the tape in a magic format (look at sysadm tapepackage
stuff its pretty wild), then each archive on the no-rewind device.

This is not what I have done, it's just a suggestion.

I set my system up the way I like it, all drivers installed
accounts set up, etc... then:

# cd /
# find . -print | cpio -ocvC32768 > /dev/rmt/c0s0

This way all I have to do is boot disk #1 and cpio
all the goodies back into the system.

Don't forget to do an idbuild when the system restores.
"/etc/conf/bin/idbuild"

BTW: -C32768 almost keeps my tape drive streaming, but its much
faster than the default of 512 bytes.

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (02/11/90)

> Frank McGee in article <4469@cuuxb.ATT.COM>
>>You can't boot from tape (ala 3b2 and non-PC systems) but you
>>can install Unix from tape.  Basically you boot a small kernel
>>from a floppy, then install everything from tape.

> Les Mikesell in article <1990Feb8.042826.8377@chinet.chi.il.us>
[ weary of diskette handling on a re-install ... ]
>I'd like to see a way to copy all the add-on package floppies onto a
>tape so you could re-install en mass.  The install procedure could
>just copy each disk image off the tape before using it.

Me too, and I'd like to see a way that we could use ISC (mounted file
systems) and AT&T (cpio archives with pre-determined files) used either
interchangeably or together.  I have AT&T 3.2.2, 3.1, ISC 2.0.2, 1.0.6
systems scattered about but all have Wangtex (Everex) 60Mb streamers.
I have made install tapes for IBM's AIX by just redirecting the backup
(a cpio'ish AIXism) to /dev/rmt0 and doing the restore (same thing, other
direction) from the same device.  They even have a way whereby you can
have the backup image on another machine and install over the network, but
that's not what I'm talking about.

It would seem that using the tape device that doesn't rewind after close
should do the trick.  In theory at least, you could actually have diskette
images in successive tape files and treat them as diskettes rather than
one big long string of files.  How you work around between mounted file
systems and cpio archives is a bit beyond my curiosity.

As an alternative, each (ISC & AT&T) approach has at least a list of
files for each installable package.  In AT&T's case it's a cpio archive
member called "Files" (I think) and in ISC's it's something else.  You
could go get each of those members and make a composite list of files
to archive to tape with cpio or tar and bring back the package that way.
It's clumsy, but not as clumsy as handling 20 or so diskettes.  I've not
been so unfortunate as to have had to re-install because of a failure but
I have changed hard drives a few times and it *is* a pain.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {attctc,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill