[comp.sys.att] Read 3B2 tape cartridge of 6386?

k2ph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (The QRPer) (02/16/90)

I have access to a 3B2 with a 60 Meg cartridge tape drive
and also to a 6386 with a 125 Meg cartridge tape drive.
There are a whole bunch of files that were CPIOed to the
60 Meg tape on the 3B2.  Is it possible to read these files
on the 6386 tape drive?  If so, how is it done?  A plain
old cpio -itcv < whatever causes the tape drive light to
come on, but it never reads anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Schreibmaier K2PH  | UUCP: att!lzss!k2ph or k2ph@lzss.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories | ARPA: k2ph%lzss@att.arpa
Lincroft, N.J. 07738   | ICBM: 40o21'N, 74o8'W

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/17/90)

In article <3911@cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, k2ph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (The QRPer) writes:
> I have access to a 3B2 with a 60 Meg cartridge tape drive
> and also to a 6386 with a 125 Meg cartridge tape drive.
> There are a whole bunch of files that were CPIOed to the
> 60 Meg tape on the 3B2.  Is it possible to read these files

if the CPIO was made with the -c option, the file information is in ascii.
(just od -c < tape  and see if it prints nice or cruddy).

If the cpio was made without the -c option, the file information is in
native 3b2 binary ( chars, shorts, and longs), which will likely not be
the way a 386 likes it  (does anyone do things the Intel way?).  You
can always transfer the cpio files to the disk using dd, and then write
a program to fix the shorts and longs.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====