[comp.sys.att] 3B2 binary compatibility.

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (02/06/90)

I am attempting to port a program to the 3B2, using a 3B2/310 as the
development machine.  The machine is running Unix SVR3.1.  The program
uses no networking or SVR3-specific calls.  If it matters, The 'file'
command says a.out is a 'WE32000 executable (paged)'.

Can anyone tell me if the binary created on the 3B2/310 will run on
other 3B2 class machines?

E-mail response is preferred, however I will read this group for a
week, or so, to catch any net-responses.

Thanks, in advance.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (02/16/90)

Thanks to all those who responded to my query about 3B2 binary
compatibility.  The general consensus is that binaries can be made
portable to 3B2's, 3B15's and 3B4000's with the right compiler switches
(-K with the CPLU4.2 compiler, default with the Release 3 compiler).

Thanks again for all the responses.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (02/21/90)

< Krasny Oktyabr:  the hunt is on, March 2, 1990 >

In article <25DAF038.5A6@marob.masa.com>, daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond)
writes that:
>. . . binaries can be made portable to 3B2's, 3B15's and 3B4000's
> with the right compiler switches (-K with the CPLU4.2 compiler,
> default with the Release 3 compiler).

The -K flag takes one or more comma separated arguments:  -Kc compiles
so that all 3B2's (including 310s without MAUs and 300s) can run the
a.out; -Kc requires a 32100 or better (i.e., not a 300), but does
floating point emulation in software (so the result will run on a 310
without an MAU), and -Kmau requires a 32100 or better *and* an MAU.
(The -O flag optimizes for space or for speed, respectively, depending
on whether -Ksz or -Ksp is used.  A small, compatible program could be
generated with -Kc,sz; a fast program, with -Kmau,sp.)  This is
described in the CPLU 4.2 (4.0?) Release Notes.

The -Kc/-Kfpe/-Kmau default is set by /bin/cc, which (at least under
SVR3.2) is a shell script that invokes /lib/cc.  If no -K flag is
passed to /lib/cc, the default is the same as -Kc.

> Dave Hammond, daveh@marob.masa.com, uunet!masa.com!marob!daveh

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.