[comp.sys.att] 3b2 hards drives

cyrill@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) (02/20/90)

Ok, I have a 72 meg CDC Wren II drive and tried to install it
using 'idtools'. The format seemed to go fine and so did the verify.
This is on a 3b2/310. I used the these params:
id 5
cyl 925
trk/cyl 9
sec/trk 18
bytes/trk 512
Then entered the bad track list and the software returned ok from
verify ok. What does one do next? I tried to mkfs and received this:
Bad sanity word in Vtoc on drive 1
followed by 'mkfs' trying to make a file systems but bombing out with
a read error. I must not be doing this correctly. Any help?
The drive is the same as the 72meg number 0 drive.
Model # 94155-086
Thanks.
--
<---------------------------++++++++++++++++++----------------------------->
Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp. -  DOMAIN  cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com

josie@pegasus.ATT.COM (Jack Gross) (02/21/90)

You must install a vtoc with fmthard. If you use sysadm you
can do it with that. If you use fmthard check the manual for usage.
This puts the vtoc on the drive and then you can do a mkfs.

			Jack Gross
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			307 Middletown Lincroft Rd.
                        Lincroft NJ 07738
                        (201)576-3197

pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Philip A. Gross) (02/24/90)

cyrill@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) writes:

>Ok, I have a 72 meg CDC Wren II drive and tried to install it
>using 'idtools'. The format seemed to go fine and so did the verify.
>This is on a 3b2/310. I used the these params:
>id 5
>cyl 925
>trk/cyl 9
>sec/trk 18
>bytes/trk 512
>Then entered the bad track list and the software returned ok from
>verify ok. What does one do next? I tried to mkfs and received this:
>Bad sanity word in Vtoc on drive 1
>followed by 'mkfs' trying to make a file systems but bombing out with
>a read error. I must not be doing this correctly. Any help?

You need to put a VTOC on the drive by using the fmthard(1M) command.
This command is defined in the System Administration Reference Manual.
Also, take a look at the prtvtoc(1M) command to see what the vtoc table
should look like.  The task before you is to enter a vtoc as
shown in the example with the prtvtoc(1M) command into a file, then
execute the the fmthard(1M) command as given here:

fmthard -c2 -m -s file_with_vtoc -n volume_name /dev/rdsk/c?d?s6

I am assuming with the -c2 option that this is the second disk.  If this
second disk is daisy chained off of the root drive, then the device to
use is most likely /dev/rdsk/c1d1s6, if this is a disk off of a XDC card,
then the device might be /dev/rdsk/c2d0s6 or /dev/rdsk/c2d1s6.  Determining
the correct device name is left as an exercise for the student.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		...!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)