Path:duke!decvax!bbncca!sdyer
Date:Thu, 24-Nov-83 00:34:07 EST
Organization:Bolt, Beranek and Newman, Cambridge, Ma.

This one is a real sleeper.  A young biologist is dropped in the midst of
the Canadian Yukon Territory to observe wolves and their (presumably)
deleterious effect on the caribou herd.  His experiences in the countryside
with the wolves and several Inuit people are tremendously amusing and
affecting.  The cimematography is simply fantastic, and the small cast,
especially the biologist, is superb.

I ended up going to this movie quite by accident, and wouldn't have ordinarily
chosen it, not the least because I knew it was a Walt Disney Production.
Well, the cheap Disney sentimentality and two-dimentional characters just
aren't present.  This is a fine film by any standards.
--
/Steve Dyer
decvax!bbncca!sdyer

lcliffor@bbncca.ARPA (Laura Frank Clifford) (12/14/83)

"Never  Cry  Wolf",  the  latest  Disney  production, is a beautifully
photographed adventure.  This is a movie for everyone - you'd have  to
HATE nature not to get some enjoyment out of this film.  The movie was
directed  by  Carroll Ballard, who also directed "The Black Stallion".
Charles Martin Smith (at least I think that's his name  -  he  was  in
"The  Buddy  Holly  Story"  and  "American  Graffiti") turns in a good
performance as the man who travels to the Artic to study  the  wolves,
and  two  Indians who appear in the film (the movie crew found them at
the filming location) are natural actors.

The  movie  takes  turns  at being humorous, awe-inspiring, tense, and
thought-provoking.  My one complaint is that it begins  to  drag  near
the  end.  A great film for a family or a bunch of people with varying
tastes.

55jcf@hound.UUCP (J.FRAUENTHAL) (01/16/84)