[comp.sys.att] Help please for a 3b2 neophyte...

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (03/03/90)

I have a chance to pick up a 3b2-300 with a very dead hard disk drive for
very little money.  It's been dead for over a year.  I've seen it with
the cover off, and as I remember it has 4 serial ports on a card
in the card cage, and blank plates over two slots.  The console
plugs into a port on the back.
Does anybody supply aftermarket cards (memory or otherwise) for this machine?

The disk is (was, really) a full-height 5.25" CDC Wren.  Knowing a little
about how AT&T designed hardware, I'm wondering if this is a standard
ST-506 interface, or do I need to look for a specific flavor of hard drive?

Also, if my source can't turn up the docs/floppies, how available
is the needed software?  Also a AT&T "DMD" terminal will come with it.  I
understand that it is a "semi-smart" terminal, but orphaned...

My environment/planned use for this system will be polled mail & news
(I'll do the polling), a semi-public "BBS" environment for a ham radio
club, a little C language development, etc.  i.e. a home unix system.
Is there a pd/shareware/cheap BBS for it?  How about a starlan card for it?
If I can turn a starlan card for my XT will they talk?  Can the 3b2 be a
file server & a print server?

As I recall the system is vintage 1983-1984 or so...

Am I getting in over my head?
Is there something I should be asking and am not?
My background is CP/M (since IMSAI days), lots of MS/DOS, and a little unix.
This will be a learning experience, I guess.

Any replies, either posted if you feel it's warranted, or e-mailed will
be _very_ welcome - even if it's "Pass it up - you _don't_ want the
headaches or the problems! - get a copy of XENIX and a 386!"...

Mike Morris                      Internet:  Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 Misslenet: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     Bellnet:   818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     Radionet:  WA6ILQ

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (03/04/90)

In article <2978@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> morris@jade.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Mike Morris) writes:
>I have a chance to pick up a 3b2-300 with a very dead hard disk drive for
>very little money.  It's been dead for over a year.  I've seen it with
>the cover off, and as I remember it has 4 serial ports on a card
>in the card cage, and blank plates over two slots.  The console
>plugs into a port on the back.

The 'ports' card you're seeing in the card cage also has a parallel port on
it.  Th 'console' port on the rear also has 'contty' next to it.

>Does anybody supply aftermarket cards (memory or otherwise) for this machine?

Yes, I have seen ads in UNIX Today for 3b2/300 memory cards.

>The disk is (was, really) a full-height 5.25" CDC Wren.  Knowing a little
>about how AT&T designed hardware, I'm wondering if this is a standard
>ST-506 interface, or do I need to look for a specific flavor of hard drive?

I believe, but don't quote me, they are standard, so you shouldn't have any
trouble replacing it.

>Also, if my source can't turn up the docs/floppies, how available
>is the needed software?

The software is still quite available.  I just received rel 3.2.1 for my
3b2/310 a little over a month ago.

> Also a AT&T "DMD" terminal will come with it.  I
>understand that it is a "semi-smart" terminal, but orphaned...

Not a great terminal, good, but nothing I'd brag home to mother about.

>My environment/planned use for this system will be polled mail & news
>(I'll do the polling), a semi-public "BBS" environment for a ham radio
>club, a little C language development, etc.  i.e. a home unix system.
>Is there a pd/shareware/cheap BBS for it?

Yes, xbbs, from Sandy Z. at alphcm runs quite nicely on it and is PD.

> How about a starlan card for it?

Yep, AT&T makes a Starlan card that'll plug right in.  I understand that
they are coming out with an official Starlan/10 card soon.

>If I can turn a starlan card for my XT will they talk?

Yep, have a 'network' of 6 XT's on my 3b2

>  Can the 3b2 be a file server & a print server?

Sure can, not the fastest thing around, but works.

>As I recall the system is vintage 1983-1984 or so...

Sounds like a realatively 'new' one :-}

>Am I getting in over my head?

Not necessarily.

>Is there something I should be asking and am not?

Probably, but you've made a good start here, can't think of anything off
the top of my head.

>My background is CP/M (since IMSAI days), lots of MS/DOS, and a little unix.
>This will be a learning experience, I guess.

Yep!! :-}

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: gentry@kcdev               ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |

In article <2978@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> morris@jade.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Mike Morris) writes:
>I have a chance to pick up a 3b2-300 with a very dead hard disk drive for
>very little money.
>Does anybody supply aftermarket cards (memory or otherwise) for this machine?

Congruent Technology makes a 2Meg memory card and an adapter that lets you
use it with the 2 1Meg cards you might already have.  Don't expect it to
be priced anything like '386 memory...

>The disk is (was, really) a full-height 5.25" CDC Wren.  Knowing a little
>about how AT&T designed hardware, I'm wondering if this is a standard
>ST-506 interface, or do I need to look for a specific flavor of hard drive?

It is a standard ST-506 interface, but only certain sizes are supported
and you need something called "idtools" to format it.  This may only
be available to VARS.

>Also, if my source can't turn up the docs/floppies, how available
>is the needed software?

You can still get the unix system software, development tools, etc.

>How about a starlan card for it?
>If I can turn a starlan card for my XT will they talk?  Can the 3b2 be a
>file server & a print server?

Yes, that's all available and works pretty well.  Not cheap, though.

>Am I getting in over my head?
>Is there something I should be asking and am not?

Unless something is wrong besides the disk, making the machine run should
just be a matter of finding a replacement and the formatting program.  However,
if you have to add memory or networking, it's going to be pretty expensive.
If the machine doesn't come with 4Megs of memory, I'd say forget it and go
for a '386.  All the same software is available for the '386 (starlan included)
and it is much more expandable in terms of memory, disk types, tape drives,
etc., and can be repaired with generic parts.  I've used both, and a 386
will run circles around the 3b2/300 (or 310/400) if it has a fast disk.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

John_Robert_Breeden@cup.portal.com (03/05/90)

>>I have a chance to pick up a 3b2-300 with a very dead hard disk drive for
>>very little money.
>>Does anybody supply aftermarket cards (memory or otherwise) for this machine?
>
>Congruent Technology makes a 2Meg memory card and an adapter that lets you
>>use it with the 2 1Meg cards you might already have.  Don't expect it to
>be priced anything like '386 memory...

Good Company, they also sell controllers and disks.

AT&T also sells a single ended SCSI controller that will work with the 300.

>>The disk is (was, really) a full-height 5.25" CDC Wren.  Knowing a little
>>about how AT&T designed hardware, I'm wondering if this is a standard
>>ST-506 interface, or do I need to look for a specific flavor of hard drive?
>
>It is a standard ST-506 interface, but only certain sizes are supported
>and you need something called "idtools" to format it.  This may only
>be available to VARS.

Two other sources. AT&T Data Services Organization (DSO) and the Tech.
Support people in the indirect sales branch of the Data Sytems Group (DSG).

>>Also, if my source can't turn up the docs/floppies, how available
>>is the needed software?
>
>You can still get the unix system software, development tools, etc.

Documentation too. Get it from what AT&T the Customer Information Center
(CIC).

>>How about a starlan card for it?
>>If I can turn a starlan card for my XT will they talk?  Can the 3b2 be a
>>file server & a print server?
>
>Yes, that's all available and works pretty well.  Not cheap, though.

If you want 10baseT (Starlan 10), you need the AT&T NIC card (thicknet
with AUI port) and a Starlan10 AUI (make sure it's the Release 2 AUI).
the AUI goes from AUI port to 10baseT TP.

AT&T supports Woolongong's IP with this card, along withe their own
NOS StarGROUP/OSI.

They also make a 10baseT PC card (called Starlan10 NAU) and 10baseT hubs.
Supported NOSs for the PC card are IP (both FTP and Wollongong), Vines,
Novell, Clarkson Packet Driver, StarGROUP and soon PCSA.

The 3b can give file and print services under either IP (lp and NFS) or
StarGROUP.

>>Am I getting in over my head?
>>Is there something I should be asking and am not?
>
>Unless something is wrong besides the disk, making the machine run should
>just be a matter of finding a replacement and the formatting program.  However
,
>if you have to add memory or networking, it's going to be pretty expensive.
>If the machine doesn't come with 4Megs of memory, I'd say forget it and go
>for a '386.  All the same software is available for the '386 (starlan included
)
>and it is much more expandable in terms of memory, disk types, tape drives,
>etc., and can be repaired with generic parts.  I've used both, and a 386
>will run circles around the 3b2/300 (or 310/400) if it has a fast disk.

The '386 is also richer in supported NOSs too, not to mention faster -
(I still like the 3b though - sentimental reasons).

john_robert_breeden@cup.portal.com

pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Philip A. Gross) (03/07/90)

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) writes:

>I have a chance to pick up a 3b2-300 with a very dead hard disk drive for
>very little money.  It's been dead for over a year.  I've seen it with
>the cover off, and as I remember it has 4 serial ports on a card
>in the card cage, and blank plates over two slots.  The console
>plugs into a port on the back.
>Does anybody supply aftermarket cards (memory or otherwise) for this machine?

Most of the cards for the 3B2 can only be obtained from AT&T.  But one company
that I do know of, Congruent Technologies, can supply you with their own
memory boards for the 3B2.

>The disk is (was, really) a full-height 5.25" CDC Wren.  Knowing a little
>about how AT&T designed hardware, I'm wondering if this is a standard
>ST-506 interface, or do I need to look for a specific flavor of hard drive?

The older models of 3B2's do use the ST-506 interface, however, if you don't
get the drive from AT&T or from some other source where the drive is
specifically formatted for the 3B2, then you need to obtain the
"3B2 Computer Maintanence Reference" manual which contains a software package
called idtools which can be used to perform the low-level format of the
hard drive.  This manual is also handy for hardware diagnostics and other
hardware level maintanence.

>Also, if my source can't turn up the docs/floppies, how available
>is the needed software?  Also a AT&T "DMD" terminal will come with it.  I
>understand that it is a "semi-smart" terminal, but orphaned...

AT&T still sells it.  We can certainly sell it to you if you do need it.

>My environment/planned use for this system will be polled mail & news
>(I'll do the polling), a semi-public "BBS" environment for a ham radio
>club, a little C language development, etc.  i.e. a home unix system.
>Is there a pd/shareware/cheap BBS for it?  How about a starlan card for it?
>If I can turn a starlan card for my XT will they talk?  Can the 3b2 be a
>file server & a print server?

In regards to StarLAN, yes on all counts.  However, you are getting into
some money.

While the 3B2 is a fairly reliable system, it only runs at 10MHz and the
3B2/300 in particular is a DOG (by this, I mean SLOW).  I personally
would suggest saving your money and getting a 386 box running AT&T
Un*x System V 3.2.2.

We used to use a 3B2/310 as a gateway into Internet and Usenet and for
processing news.  This system was SLOW, we had to have our feeds restricted
because the system could not keep up with the information if we received
a full feed.  We have since upgraded it to a 3B2/400 w/ 4MB of RAM and
have tuned the kernel and it is still SLOW.

Hope this suffices.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		...!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)